Can't open photos after updating with the creators update

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hi, I am having an issue with my Surface book, I updated to the creators update and now whenever I try to open a photo (jpg etc) It askes me what app I want to open it with, it does this over and over again without actually opening the photo. I can get the photo to open if I right click and select open with...

I thought this was just my laptop but I got my wife to check hers, seems hers is doing the same thing (we both updated yesterday and my surface book is 2 days old and hers was a fresh install of Win 10 (my old laptop) )

I've reverted back to the previous version of Win 10 on mine but left hers, does anyone have any ideas? There are no pending updates and no pending store updates. I have also checked the file associations are set up correctly (even put them back to default)

Thanks for any help in advance.

Joe

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I can get the photo to open if I right click and select open with...

I have no solution for you.
I just wonder why it is such a big deal that you had to go back to your previous version ?

Just because you had to click Open With in order to open a file ?

whenever I try to open a photo (jpg etc) It askes me what app I want to open it with, it does this over and over again without actually opening the photo

Did it also give you a list of apps to choose from ?
If so, pick one you meant to use to open the file.

It has been a bug on the default program. It is annoying, but not detrimental.
Post your finding to Feedback Hub. Let them know about the problem.

joesg

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi davidhk129,

I just wonder why it is such a big deal that you had to go back to your previous version ?

Just because you had to click Open With in order to open a file ?

I use my laptop for photo editing 90% of the time, so personally it was annoying having to right click open. Your right I could have stayed on that version. We left my wifes machine purely to monitor the error and see if we can fix it. She's not bothered.

Did it also give you a list of apps to choose from ?
If so, pick one you meant to use to open the file.

Yes, tried selecting a different app e.g paint, photoshop but it doesn't open. It doesn't matter which app it just sends you in a continuous loop asking what program you want to open the file in.

Thanks for your input. I've raised this through the feedback app too.

Joe

joesg

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I thought I'd post an update. I managed to fix the issue and have now put the creators update back on my Surface Book.

We downloaded the Sketchable app from the app store when we initially upgraded the machines, I would have never expected that to cause problems but as soon as we removed the app normal service resumed!

We tested putting it back on again and as before we got prompted every time we wanted to open a photo in a continuous loop > removed the app and all was good again.

Very strange bug.

For those that are wondering we have a Surface book and a Lenovo Yoga 2 13 and both experienced the issue.

Luckily Sketchable isn't an app we would probably ever use.

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre