Do you think MS will ever have the same "Cool Factor" as apple has today?

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Twitter if filled with apple stuff before during and after its events, apple related hashtags are at the most popular on twitter (more than 5 #)!!!
wp_ss_20170605_0001.png

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
This is a very good and timely topic. Before I go on, let me preface this by saying I've been loyal to Microsoft and the devices and software they bring out. From the days I left my Amiga behind and went with Windows 3.1, I've been on this train for a very long time, heck I am one of the few who had no issues with and liked Windows ME. I had an original Tablet PC, I embraced PocketPC and graduated to Windows Phone (through 6.5). I also loved Zune, Windows Phone 8.0+, Surface RT through Surface Book (my current Surface), Windows Media Center, Kinect, XBOX through XBOX One (and plan to get the "X"), Microsoft Band and held on to Windows Phone for as long as I could.

I noticed that many school districts in our area are having "Google Blast" training as they are "all in" with Chromebooks and then they add "Apple" to it...for example, this is a logo from these conferences:

google01.png

Heavy on Google...no Microsoft to be seen. But they said High Schools are embracing iPad and Macs. For this very reason, I said some weeks back that Windows 10s will not make any inroads into education and while I hope I'm proven wrong, I am going to stand by that.

I work for a small but multi-million dollar business and we live and breathe Windows, Windows Server, Dynamics, Exchange (Online) and mostly, Excel VBA. It helps our business run. Yet management uses iPhones and I am the sole manager on Android (Google Pixel XL, but long time Lumia ICON user.) Business is where Microsoft is thriving and will thrive.

I am still Microsoft heavy, having powerful Core i7 PC to be my main home PC/File Server/Media Server (Plex), Surface Book as main daily PC, Office 365/OneDrive. I also have a few Western Digital MyCloud's for personal storage. I use an Android phone and use many Google Services but also use Cortana on my Phone. I also use Amazon for Music, Kindle, Audible and Kindle. My main music service is Google Music, mainly due to the YouTube RED but I still maintain Groove for using it on my XBOX One from time to time.

While there is a resurgence of PC gaming and the XBOX is still popular, I don't see Microsoft making much inroads in the "cool" factor. In my experience, schools want Chromebooks, people want iPhones/iPads and most people say they have a Playstation over an XBOX. As much as I try to evangelize Microsoft for "coolness", more and more people don't even consider them a factor.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft CANT have it both ways.

They want to be the company that provides professional services to business. Their Windows, Office, Server OS, Server applications, Tablet/laptop and other hardware is VERY geared towards big business. In the real world, it's their bread and butter where MOST of their profit comes from.

They NEED that image to gear towards their primary client. Going "HIP" to hit the "In trend" will damage their business image.

Even go back and watch all those OLD Windows Phone commercials, Nothing was too hip, or ultra cool, it was "SAFE" going for the consumer AND the business aspect. This is something Apple never did.

Never mind, talk to a teen...As them...Microsoft, yea the software on MOM's computer, old. Ask them about apple, hip and cool (their marketing was very well done towards this).

Microsoft can never be both....it's not in their blood.

And I know you will bring up Xbox... Xbox is a whole different animal... Gamers are a different bread. If you build good games, the gamers will come and they will sell. You create bad games and you will be out of business really quick. It's how many small gaming shops went under after 2-3 games... some after 1.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I want to get the basics right in this thread

What is this "cool factor" - need some tangible definition that I can work with
Cool is defined as being part of the herd. You won't be embarrassed by being different than the rest of the sheep 🐑. I'm not just referring to Apple users when I say sheep.

Windows and BlackBerry users are considered to be stuffy old men carrying briefcases or IT geeks.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Do you think MS will ever have the same "Cool Factor" as apple has today?

Cool is defined as being part of the herd. You won't be embarrassed by being different than the rest of the sheep . I'm not just referring to Apple users when I say sheep.

Windows and BlackBerry users are considered to be stuffy old men carrying briefcases or IT geeks.

I think that's the caricature or oversimplification of the cool factor. While a small percentage of people may fit that mold, most people just like what works and what their friends are using. It's part of a culture more than a herd. It's the accessories that go with the device that make it more usable. The way you are treated when you go to the Genius Bar. It's the whole package that makes it "cool".

That's just the way I see it of course.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Do you think MS will ever have the same "Cool Factor" as apple has today?

I think that's the caricature or oversimplification of the cool factor. While a small percentage of people may fit that mold, most people just like what works and what their friends are using. It's part of a culture more than a herd. It's the accessories that go with the device that make it more usable. The way you are treated when you go to the Genius Bar. It's the whole package that makes it "cool".

That's just the way I see it of course.
I must be slipping in my older years. Obviously I wasn't sardonic enough if you thought I was only oversimplifying the issue. Yes, it's gratifying to have more accessories available or an enhanced support model, but cool? Hardly. I drive a Hummer but it doesn't make me any cooler than if I drove a Yaris. It's not cost-effective to have one vehicle for everyday commuting and another for towing the boat. Insurance in Miami is something to seriously consider before going buck wild at the dealership. Having a flagship phone, regardless of OS, is a matter of wanting to have the best possible device for a given set of needs. I'll be honest though, the Passport got me the most wide-eyed looks from people and that was funny in a way.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: Do you think MS will ever have the same "Cool Factor" as apple has today?

I must be slipping in my older years. Obviously I wasn't sardonic enough if you thought I was only oversimplifying the issue. Yes, it's gratifying to have more accessories available or an enhanced support model, but cool? Hardly. I drive a Hummer but it doesn't make me any cooler than if I drove a Yaris. It's not cost-effective to have one vehicle for everyday commuting and another for towing the boat. Insurance in Miami is something to seriously consider before going buck wild at the dealership. Having a flagship phone, regardless of OS, is a matter of wanting to have the best possible device for a given set of needs. I'll be honest though, the Passport got me the most wide-eyed looks from people and that was funny in a way.

LOL. I wasn't speaking of you specifically but the population in general. Following the herd is a common response to people using a popular item. It implies there's no merit but more a blind following. I think a lot of people come to that conclusion too easily.
I think there is something cool about simplicity of use and having what you need at your fingertips. It makes you relaxed about the situation. Like you said, the best possible device for a given set of needs. If you don't waste a lot of money getting it, its even cooler. Wasting money to impress people is never cool. 😉

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Satya Nadella wants MS or at least Windows 10 to be cool, to be loved instead of needed or required "We want to move from people needing Windows to choosing Windows and loving Windows. That's our goal"

Windows 10 is in the right path towards being cool (it's cool now for me at least), the features (3D, Inking, Gaming, LiveTiles, AR, Photos app, etc) + the look with Fluent design language!

Windows devices are cool + sexy, take HP spectre 360, Surface Laptop, the new THIN gaming laptops thanks to GTX1080!!

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Lumia devices are cool, with technologies and features no one but us know about:
1. Imaging:
Nokia Smart Camera which I cry everyday for not having it on my W10M device :(
Lumia 1020 with the powerful 41MP
Live photos which IPhone users are still amazed by, we had this 2 years before them!
OIS
2. Here city Lens
3. Glance screen, they killed the coolness we had with Lumia 735/730
4. Looks sexy, the design stands out, the colors, 925 1520 735 SEXY
5. Wireless charging.
and many more!!

Is it the advertising team? Is it MS doesn't have patient? Why not continuing working on the current while developing the future? Why killing the Lumia coolness in favor of building the looooooong awaited Surface Phone + CShell??

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Having cool features doesn't make Windows cool in the eyes of the iOS or Android cult. Stevie Wonder sang it best "just because a record has a groove don't make it in the groove" .

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Cool isn't necessary. The Toyota Camry is as antiseptic as cars get, yet they're consistently in the top 5 in sales. Year after year. Number 1 since the mid 70s is America's toolbox, the Ford F-series.

True, amazon tablets have taken a decent US marketshare, and won over some of the emerging smarthome biz, and they are not at all cool.

Biggest growth is in phones like hauwei - not cool.

I remember back in the 90s, when nikes where huge. Then came grunge and rave, and "money type" image didn't matter. Then the millennials because self-conscious because internet and went into labels again.

These trend type things are mercurial, and the majority of stable high volume markets have nothing to do with them.

In fact, I think when it comes to cool, apple being "cool" really works against consumers. It means apple can treat them however they like, even if its badly (such as walled gardens, propetiery dongles or banning 32 bit apps). It also means that apple doesn't care about its once core consumers any more - creatives and such like - macOS is neglected.

I really don't think "a huge, number one" company is a desirable result for consumers in any case. It simply means they care less about wooing you, and more about screwing you.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
This is a very good and timely topic. Before I go on, let me preface this by saying I've been loyal to Microsoft and the devices and software they bring out. From the days I left my Amiga behind and went with Windows 3.1, I've been on this train for a very long time, heck I am one of the few who had no issues with and liked Windows ME. I had an original Tablet PC, I embraced PocketPC and graduated to Windows Phone (through 6.5). I also loved Zune, Windows Phone 8.0+, Surface RT through Surface Book (my current Surface), Windows Media Center, Kinect, XBOX through XBOX One (and plan to get the "X"), Microsoft Band and held on to Windows Phone for as long as I could.

I noticed that many school districts in our area are having "Google Blast" training as they are "all in" with Chromebooks and then they add "Apple" to it...for example, this is a logo from these conferences:

View attachment 136265

Heavy on Google...no Microsoft to be seen. But they said High Schools are embracing iPad and Macs. For this very reason, I said some weeks back that Windows 10s will not make any inroads into education and while I hope I'm proven wrong, I am going to stand by that.

I work for a small but multi-million dollar business and we live and breathe Windows, Windows Server, Dynamics, Exchange (Online) and mostly, Excel VBA. It helps our business run. Yet management uses iPhones and I am the sole manager on Android (Google Pixel XL, but long time Lumia ICON user.) Business is where Microsoft is thriving and will thrive.

I am still Microsoft heavy, having powerful Core i7 PC to be my main home PC/File Server/Media Server (Plex), Surface Book as main daily PC, Office 365/OneDrive. I also have a few Western Digital MyCloud's for personal storage. I use an Android phone and use many Google Services but also use Cortana on my Phone. I also use Amazon for Music, Kindle, Audible and Kindle. My main music service is Google Music, mainly due to the YouTube RED but I still maintain Groove for using it on my XBOX One from time to time.

While there is a resurgence of PC gaming and the XBOX is still popular, I don't see Microsoft making much inroads in the "cool" factor. In my experience, schools want Chromebooks, people want iPhones/iPads and most people say they have a Playstation over an XBOX. As much as I try to evangelize Microsoft for "coolness", more and more people don't even consider them a factor.

Man, the US is weird.

chenryhen

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I think Microsoft is definitely gaining in "cool". Every designer (almost universally on Mac) that I know that saw the Surface Studio reveal trailer was smitten. Not sure if that will translate to sales - it's hard when your workflow is completely based on your platform. But everyone definitely thought the machine was amazing.

For Windows though, I don't know. I know OEM partners like Dell/HP/Samsung are building high quality machines, but when I think of old PCs and laptops that I've used, I just picture them as clunky, unpretty plastic machines.

Mohd Fadil A

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Nope, unless Microsoft listen to changes and recommendations from their loyal users and incorporate it to their development, i believe they take a good jump to compete with Apple current level. I seen many beautiful recommendations and features by fans, they should tend to those too, to make better product and services, which can change the cards in market share

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12