Microsoft Mobile Rumors

Rafael Sol

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
If you want my opinion... Still too early to know, even for the rumor-o-meter Windows Central had. It could simply be wishful thinking. Projectors in a phone never worked that good and are battery-wasters by any angle you look at it. (Take that old Samsung Galaxy Beam as example)

Surface Mobile is a good name, though. Pen support will be there if it ever exists, and that's awesome. Kickstand would be bulky and useless considering it will have a dock pretty much like HP Elite X3. But considering that is Microsoft we're talking about, maybe they can pull some engineering miracle again like they're doing lately.

Let's hope for the better. An magnesium Surface-look-a-like phone with pen support and premium camera is all I want. And Microsoft can totally do that, but they're waiting for something big to justify a new phone. Now it's matter of time finding something. Projectors sound unrealistic for me.

anon(7917514)

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Personally I think that MS will not make another phone.
I believe that they will make a mobile device, but it's primary selling point will be that it is a mobile computer that fits in your pocket uses cellular data, WiFi and can make cellular calls.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I believe that they will make a mobile device, but it's primary selling point will be that it is a mobile computer that fits in your pocket uses cellular data, WiFi and can make cellular calls.

That sounds exactly like the description for your modern smartphone. I know what you mean, but "mobile computer than can make calls and use cellular data" describes any smartphone released for, well, ever.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site

That is what you call a phone.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
That is what you call a phone.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

We are going to produce a new device whose primary selling point will be that it is a mobile office with comfortable seats, steering ability and able to receive mobile data, display emails and make calls. It will not be called a car as the market is already saturated.

:grin:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We are going to produce a new device whose primary selling point will be that it is a mobile office with comfortable seats, steering ability and able to receive mobile data, display emails and make calls. It will not be called a car as the market is already saturated.

:grin:
A car? The all-new 2018 Surfacemobile!

shanahben

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone been able to view the video in the screenshot?

Anyway, it's all pretty clear that Microsoft will not be re-entering the 'smartphone' market without a groundbreaking device. And the recent developments in Windows 10 (CShell, Windows 10 on ARM, Windows 10 S, etc.) are all pointing towards a device that is more powerful and capable than the 'smartphones' we know today.

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Has anyone been able to view the video in the screenshot?

Anyway, it's all pretty clear that Microsoft will not be re-entering the 'smartphone' market without a groundbreaking device. And the recent developments in Windows 10 (CShell, Windows 10 on ARM, Windows 10 S, etc.) are all pointing towards a device that is more powerful and capable than the 'smartphones' we know today.

What he said... Microsoft won't jump the gun like they did the last time. They will launch a device which can be distinguished. THAT IS the main aim of a Surface Device. Unless they can create a device that stands out for good reason, don't expect much as of now. Promising starts nonetheless.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Well they are definitely making Andromeda, because you can see markers in the code.

I think table projection is a technology that has probably come far enough to be useable on a phone with a kickstand, even if its short lived, and would probably make the benefits of continuum much more apparent than docking, given people do not carry monitors around with them.

Although a flat surface workstation has its own limitations, and would probably be more useful for sharing than solitary work.

Andromeda (the not-slab dual screen phone) is a definite thing, as is the accompanying OS. And because its apparent MSFT is changing hardware standards (given how they turned Wharton brooks down), its possible they are also working on some surface like slabs, with a type cover keyboard (as patented).

I think it would be a good play, if they jumped back into mobile hard, with some solid new features new year, after the FCU is rolled out to existing hardware, windows on arm is rolled out to tablets and notebooks, and windows s has had some time to breath.

Really, objectively, the UWP platform needs a little momentum before such a release would make sense. But a solid, all in type of release of three separate "phones", could add to such a momentum with the right timing.

Let's face it only a few OEMs are interested in windows phone right now. HP obviously, maybe alcatatel/tcl (maybe) and bit players like Wharton brooks, wiley fox etc. MS needs a bit more than that to keep the platform running, even for the mere sake of user testing and reference hardware, so some type of release might be needed anyway.

I think this leak may contain inaccuracies. The translation is poor, and the information second hand. Indeed if there are two variants, of the surface device, I think they would likely be catergorical rather than spec differences. Perhaps one comes with the table projection "tablet", and the other is more consumer focused.

Unfortunately what I'd really like to see is an xbox phone, and I don't think that's even on the cards. But if phones are consumer driven, why not make them even more entertainment focused.

Chris Knopff

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
They are going to continue to work on it. But they aren't dropping from the cellular market anytime soon. The next release will probably come after Store growth occurs through Windows 10. Apps are what limit sales really.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
They are going to continue to work on it. But they aren't dropping from the cellular market anytime soon. The next release will probably come after Store growth occurs through Windows 10. Apps are what limit sales really.
It seems kinda like the chicken or the egg dilemma. You need device sales too for developers to want to send apps to the store for people on the devices to want to buy/use. On the other hand you have UWP (fairly new) and not a huge amount of UWP apps that people are flocking to, am I right? Maybe after the WoA devices come out and shortly there after I bet...Wonder how long or what is the anticipated growth before they think OK, the time is now?

peterw1000

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
That sounds exactly like the description for your modern smartphone. I know what you mean, but "mobile computer than can make calls and use cellular data" describes any smartphone released for, well, ever.

A smartphone is nor quite a PC, nearly but not quite there. A typical PC, has a minimum of network connectivity, multiple user accounts and can be joined to a domain. These are functions not yet supplied by a simple smartphone. A PC can also download and install programs (yes apps) from websites, memory sticks, external HDD again not possible from a smartphone as far as i Know. So the Ultra Portable PC will be a new category not yet seen.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
A smartphone is nor quite a PC, nearly but not quite there. A typical PC, has a minimum of network connectivity, multiple user accounts and can be joined to a domain. These are functions not yet supplied by a simple smartphone. A PC can also download and install programs (yes apps) from websites, memory sticks, external HDD again not possible from a smartphone as far as i Know. So the Ultra Portable PC will be a new category not yet seen.

Like I said, I understand what you meant, but your description didn't quite fit your intent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6