Did Microsoft totally changed their W10M strategy because Intel dropped their mobile SoC range?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
It is very possible. I recall MS was liking the idea of x86 compatibility on a SoC from Intel. Then Intel stopped development last year.

Intel never made a mobile chipset with intergrated always on connectivity. Did they even plan one?

I mean that might have had some advantages for running legacy apps, but lets face it, they'd be awful on a phone anyway.

Windows on arm is just an enabling/stepping stone tech to get developers to write UWP fpr notebook and tablet users because:

"omg, your stupid app/game runs so slowly and doesn't scale properly like xyz app does - 1 star" (Users not understanding anything about UWP or win32, or emulation, only that the native app is better)

AND

"Why doesn't WhatsApp, snapchat, find the nearest suicide booth run on my laptop, like those other chat/mobility/gps apps?"

Its the perfect utilisation of basic consumer drives to force developers hands into full scale UWP writing. Its not actually for running win32 apps at all. Its for making them look bad next to UWP and poaching devs for ios at the same time :p XD

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
MS changed WM10 strategy because no one was buying their phones (or very few). It started when MS didn't get their latest high end phones on Verizon.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I thought Verizon was the globally rare cdma, and msft hasn't made virtually any of those have they?

MS made a few W 8.1 phones for Verizon. I think the only Lumia on big red that was able to officially get W10M was the 735 (the one I am using). It's been discussed a lot but MS not getting phones that work on the biggest carrier in the US was suicide.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I thought Verizon was the globally rare cdma, and msft hasn't made virtually any of those have they?
They won't be CDMA for long. They've already announced that they're going to sunset CDMA in lat 2019. They released a flip phone today that runs exclusively on LTE so my guess is they're using this as a test bed for their future plans. Not a bad strategy if you ask me.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Well at this point all we have is rumors and nothing else. We know that there was a "Lumia 960" that ran SD 820 though, so perhaps they didn't even try x86. Or did they? I guess we're never going to know everything MS was planning to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven