Would a Lumia 640 be a good deal?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I would like to be able to download whatever apps, music, etc. I want, and have sufficient storage for photos and videos.

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently using a 640xl after some of my phones died on me. We're not exactly spoiled for choice in terms of available windows phones here. I'm not springing for a HP elite x3 either until I know for certain that it will support windows on ARM ( not windows 10 mobile ).

It's laggy as hell even with multiple resets and restricting myself to a few apps. I'm just using it as a stopgap measure while waiting for next year's possible phones. If surface mobile is delayed next year, I'll probably spring for a second-hand 950 while waiting for it.

----- Detailed information about lag. ------
I'm using the latest production build, I didn't want to deal with insider bugs on what I expected to be my daily driver.

OS level lag - sometimes the phone takes several seconds to wakeup from idle with the screen flickering like it can't make up its mind if it wants to wake for me or not. Sometimes apps pull up immediately while in some cases you keep mashing that app button and it won't start then when you give up and put the phone down it suddenly pulls up.
App level lag - i.e. groove music will play the song 10 seconds after you select the song. You swipe up and it will only do so after a couple of seconds.

I have several of these available for use on the floor and they all exhibit the same issue.

Last edited:

Blendomatik

Jun 23, 2017
Visit site
My mother used to own a 640 but because certain apps could not be moved to the sd card the phone kept running out of storage all the time. If you don't use Viber or Whatsapp for example you should be pleased with this phone. (Keep in mind that it doesn't have a ff camera)

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
My mother used to own a 640 but because certain apps could not be moved to the sd card the phone kept running out of storage all the time. If you don't use Viber or Whatsapp for example you should be pleased with this phone. (Keep in mind that it doesn't have a ff camera)

The lumia 640 does have a front facing camera

And storage is not a major issue unless you store photos and videos on the phone

skydiverian

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
The only concern I would have with suggesting the 640 is whether it will get any more updates for Win 10 - it's the only pre x50 Lumia to have got the Creator's update - and at it's current age I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't get many more software updates

LumPhile

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
You clearly have no idea of what you're talking about

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett