Hello Everyone,

My next question is seeking more opinion than actual solid facts, but since i have absolutely no one to bounce my thoughts off of in my life, i came here. #sad .

I am a wannabe writer living in NYC. Most of my writing i do on a tablet while standing in a crowded Subway. My current tablet being the ipad mini 4. I am tired of not having a full version of office at my fingertips and all the sync issues that come with having ipad under ground.

I am looking to purchase a surface like product to keep everything i want/need on one device. After fairly extensive issues, i have run up against the following questions:

1) Is there a chance that Microsoft will release a newer version of their Surface Dock to include USB-C and/or Thunderbolt ports? (i know about usb-c dongle)

2) Is there a way to somehow customize / change the On Screen keyboard? I find that there is a lot of dead space / useless buttons when splitting the keyboard into 2 halves.

3) The buyin to get the i7 surface with 16 gigs of RAM seems to be almost 3k (if you add in dock, keyboard and tax) while the i5 with 8 gigs of RAM lands slightly under 2k. Is the performance boost truly worth the price of admission?

4) I have a relatively powerful desktop at home that i use for gaming and photo editing, Should i seek a 1 device solution to cover my portable and at home needs, or is it just not worth it, considering current state of technology?

Thank you very much!

Serge
    06-27-2017 11:55 AM
    1) Maybe
    2) There are keyboard improvements coming in the Fall Update
    3) No.
    4) I'd get a mid range 2-1.

The HP Spectre x360 is an amazing 2 in 1 for a much lower price than the Surface. Have a look at one in a store along with the many other units from Lenovo etc. Hands on cannot beat reading online reviews.
    06-27-2017 05:05 PM
    I wrote my entire doctoral dissertation on a SP4. Do it...you'll be fine.
    06-27-2017 10:50 PM