Dan, Can You Help This Consultant Look Sexy?

Henrik Becker

Jul 12, 2017
Visit site
Hi Dan,

Disclaimer: this post is full of first world problems. ;)

TL;DR: Do I want a Surface Pro 2017 or do I want an HP Spectre x2? And which variant?

So, I'm a freelance marketing automation consultant. I meet with marketing managers and business owners, build them sexy lead generation and nurturing machines and look awesome while doing it.

Okay, that last part... not so much.

See, I care a lot about the environment and stuff. I try and buy stuff that will last, so it won't go to waste.

My current laptop is a 2012 MacBook Pro i7/8 Gig RAM/128 SSD. I shelled out on it when I went freelance and it's served me very well, running much smoother and stable than any of the Windows machines I'd worked on before that.

However!

It's got a big fast dent in the cover (dropped an iPad on it... I told you there'd be first world problems...). It's got a horribly low 1280x800 screen resolution. And it's heavy.

Considering Dutch taxes allow you to deduct a computer in five years, I figure it's time for a new one. And this one is going to my sister-in-law (no throwing away a good computer!).

Since I use my computer all over the place (meetings in, meetings out, office here, office there) I want it to be portable. It needs to be sturdy, it needs to last without a charge (although I'm not on flights or anything, a power socket is never really far away) and it needs to look just as sexy as I am (nooo oneeee TYPES like Gaston, touchscreen SWIPES like Gaston!).

And since I'm NOT impressed with Apple lately (Touch bar? Really?) those awesome looking Windows 2-in-1s have caught my eye.

But... I can't make a decision!

Which one is best for my work?

(I should note that, if I can, I will occasionally play a game on it... but it's a "nice to have" by all accounts).

Do I want to the Surface Pro? Do I need an i7? What about the HP Spectre? i7/Iris graphics is looking sexy (and the design will definitely stand out).

Or is there another one better fitted? I don't think I really the business attributes assigned the the Dell 5285 or the 7285, but...

Oh, an finally... I do want it to last another 5 years. If that means shell out for another i7/16 Gigs... so be it. But only if that's what's required to have 20 Chrome tabs open / Word / Mailbird / etc.

Help me Dan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi @Henrik Becker -

This is a well worded and entertaining post! However, I doubt very much that Daniel will respond to this. He's really more of a journalist than a personal consultant. But he has put together two fantastic reviews on the devices you mention that tell a great deal about each device. And he includes pros and cons. I'd advise reading through those to get his opinion.

https://www.windowscentral.com/hp-spectre-x2-review

https://www.windowscentral.com/surface-pro

Others here may be able to offer their personal opinions as well. Personally, I use a Surface Book. I prefer the solid laptop feel with the option for a detachable display.

Henrik Becker

Jul 12, 2017
Visit site
@Indistinguishable,

Dear sir, why would Dan not respond on his very own "Ask Dan" forum?

But you're right otherwise, hopefully the community will jump in!

I read both articles before posting here, of course. I can't make up my mind.

I talked to a sales rep (independent supplier) today and he did think that, if I'm the kind of person that has 10+ tabs in Chrome open, MS Word, Mailbird, etc etc at the same time, I should be thinking of 16 Gigs of RAM. Now, while I don't mind investing, that will take the Surface Pro into the €2500 range, which frankly is a bit too much for me (since I previously got a laptop for €1400 that lasted me 5 years).

The other option I'm seeing is the Dell 5285. Maybe that will help, since I can replace the battery and upgrade it over time? https://www.windowscentral.com/dell-latitude-5285-review

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs