Laptop won't turn on after Windows update

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L850-1D5

The laptop powers up, but the only screen I see is fully black with a white dash in the upper left-hand corner. This lasts for about 5 seconds then the screen turns off again and repeats the process. The only other lights on the laptop are the Num Lock key (which flashes on and off with the screen), the power light and the wifi light, both of which remain on constantly without flashing. I can also hear the fan running continuously.

The only way I can stop the process is by turning the laptop off. When I do this by holding down the power button for about 3 seconds, the process just starts again as soon as the power is switched back on.

If I disrupt the process by removing the battery and replacing after 10 seconds, when I power the laptop back up, it loads the Toshiba screen, and from there I can follow one of two options:

1 - If I wait, the screen displays the message: "****RTC battery is low**** Press [F2] key to set Date/Time". When I do this and save the changes, the PC reboots, shows the Toshiba logo once more, then goes back into the same cycle of the black screen on and off.

2 - If I press [F12] to enter the Boot Menu, and then select the <HDD Recovery> option, a message pops up saying "The Hard Drive Recovery Process has been selected. Please choose [Yes] ([Y]) if you are sure that you want to continue." Upon selecting yes, the laptop (after a 5 second delay) reverts back to the black screen on/off cycle.

The laptop is kept up to date and had just installed a Windows update when this problem occurred. I can't remember the name of the update (but it was installed on the 18th June 2017).

Can someone please advise on how I can get the Laptop to reboot properly again?

Many thanks

IuliaGz

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
try to format the hdd.
maybe the windows got some file corruped when u have made the update and now u are in trouble.
maybe a new clean install will also solve the problem

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes