How to get Microsoft contacts on Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjhenry1216

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying to get my Microsoft contacts on my new Pixel (i fully intend to switch back to Windows once they figure out what they're doing). However, I can't seem to figure it out. Anyone have any instructions? Everything I've found online so far seems to be for older versions of Android.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
There are plenty of instructions on the web on adding your MS account to android.
Just did it on my wife's new Nokia 6.1, Pie updated.. Her calendar, email and contacts all sync to her phone. Add the OneNote and OneDrive app and you have it all.

breaker119

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
What I'm finding is that there seems to be a difference between an Outlook contact and an MSA contact. Outlook contacts sync fine when you turn on contact sync in the Outlook Mobile app. MSA accounts aren't coming in with any of the recommended methods.

The only contacts not coming over, when looking at them on my WinPhone show they're on the MSA and not an Outlook.com account.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
All you have to do is add an account. You do not have to add the android outlook app. If you just add your MS account using defaults you will end up with an imap mail account which is no good.

Add your MS account with a manual setup option to get it setup as an exchange account. You will still not get all three, email, calendar and contacts. Remember, you have to set your contacts to use your MS account.

I tried changing the server type with no success till the end. Can't even remember what it was at the start. I tried s.outlook.com, outlook.office365.com, m.outlook.com. Got email and calendar to work with one or two of these, the exchange account would be there but no sync.

Finally got all three, email, calendar and contacts to work on the built in android apps with m.hotmail.com set as the server. Depending on your MS account you may have to use m.live.com or something similar.

With your MS account already added as an exchange account you can change server types. Go to settings, accounts, tap your exchange account, account settings, tap your MS account again, at the bottom you can change server settings. On this page you will also see boxes to check for email, contacts and calendar sync. You do not have to power cycle the phone each time you make a change.

mvanzanten

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
All you have to do is add an account. You do not have to add the android outlook app. If you just add your MS account using defaults you will end up with an imap mail account which is no good.

Add your MS account with a manual setup option to get it setup as an exchange account. You will still not get all three, email, calendar and contacts. Remember, you have to set your contacts to use your MS account.

I tried changing the server type with no success till the end. Can't even remember what it was at the start. I tried s.outlook.com, outlook.office365.com, m.outlook.com. Got email and calendar to work with one or two of these, the exchange account would be there but no sync.

Finally got all three, email, calendar and contacts to work on the built in android apps with m.hotmail.com set as the server. Depending on your MS account you may have to use m.live.com or something similar.

With your MS account already added as an exchange account you can change server types. Go to settings, accounts, tap your exchange account, account settings, tap your MS account again, at the bottom you can change server settings. On this page you will also see boxes to check for email, contacts and calendar sync. You do not have to power cycle the phone each time you make a change.

I just went through this with my new OnePlus 7 Pro. When adding an account, there is no option for "Microsoft Exchange". (I just set up an LG V30 for a family member, and the exchange option was there and worked perfectly) The only options were for apps loaded on the phone. I chose the Gmail icon labeled Personal (POP3), then manually configured it with m.hotmail.com as the server. But I still did not have my contacts, even after syncing. I finally opened up the Gmail app, and saw that Microsoft sent me an email stating that they recommend using Outlook for email, and if I wanted to use the Gmail app, I had to opt in, and they provided a link. After opting in, I went back into my accounts, synced the contacts, and my contacts now showed up.

FYI, the reason I did not export my contacts through a .CVS file was that I want just one contacts list. I have been using Microsoft contacts for decades (yes, I am old) and I do not want to try to maintain multiple contact lists.

chanchan05

Nov 21, 2018
Visit site
Pixel's exchange sync is broken. I think Google stopped supporting ActiveSync directly. I remember reading that. Third party OEMs like Samsung and LG (Particularly Samsung because they have deals with MS and preloading their apps) still adds it back in. Samsung actually is probably the best choice for a majorly Windows user. Samsung Email is the only email app I know (apart from Outlook of course), that not only syncs directly to Outlook.com without using Exchange (Exchange and Outlook accounts are separate options when adding), it is also able to directly sync contacts, and support flags to make them show up in Microsoft To-Do. It also used to show MS To-Do and Outlook Tasks in the calendar before MS broke both and integrated to calendar saying they'll add it back in the future.
If you're not using a Samsung, you'll have to go via the Outlook app, or any other third party service that syncs to Outlook, or moving contacts to another service.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I just went through this with my new OnePlus 7 Pro. When adding an account, there is no option for "Microsoft Exchange". (I just set up an LG V30 for a family member, and the exchange option was there and worked perfectly) The only options were for apps loaded on the phone. I chose the Gmail icon labeled Personal (POP3), then manually configured it with m.hotmail.com as the server. But I still did not have my contacts, even after syncing. I finally opened up the Gmail app, and saw that Microsoft sent me an email stating that they recommend using Outlook for email, and if I wanted to use the Gmail app, I had to opt in, and they provided a link. After opting in, I went back into my accounts, synced the contacts, and my contacts now showed up.

FYI, the reason I did not export my contacts through a .CVS file was that I want just one contacts list. I have been using Microsoft contacts for decades (yes, I am old) and I do not want to try to maintain multiple contact lists.

Did you try just downloading the Outlook app and adding your email to that? It works better than the Android native email client and settings, and includes your contacts too.

mvanzanten

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
My issue was not with getting email (I use the Outlook app for email and calander), but rather getting my contacts to intergrate with Android so I could use the phone and texting apps with my Microsoft contacts list.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
My issue was not with getting email (I use the Outlook app for email and calander), but rather getting my contacts to intergrate with Android so I could use the phone and texting apps with my Microsoft contacts list.

In all honesty, I exported my MS contacts as contact files and manually added them to my Android phone. But then, I email more than SMS or call so my Outlook contacts list is my main source list.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Pixel's exchange sync is broken. I think Google stopped supporting ActiveSync directly. I remember reading that. Third party OEMs like Samsung and LG (Particularly Samsung because they have deals with MS and preloading their apps) still adds it back in.

This is slightly off topic, but this (bold) sentence clearly demonstrates the value that manufacturers can add to Android. "Stock" or "pure" Android isn't always the best option.

I used Samsung for several years until I switched to OnePlus in late 2018. While I really like OnePlus, I do miss some Samsung features.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
This is slightly off topic, but this (bold) sentence clearly demonstrates the value that manufacturers can add to Android. "Stock" or "pure" Android isn't always the best option.

I used Samsung for several years until I switched to OnePlus in late 2018. While I really like OnePlus, I do miss some Samsung features.

I had a Samsung Android phone and it made me (at the time) sell it and get a Lumia 1520, which I loved. Now, having been forced to switch to Android, I picked an AndroidOne manufacturer, Xiaomi, to get rid of Samsung's bloat. And I am quite liking Android now.

Niall Maloney

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
This worked for me on a Motorola Moto G7.

- Created an Outlook account in main Settings/Accounts using the real account name NOT an alias or the unreadable MS name.

- Installed the Outlook App from google store. Went to setting page WITHIN THE APP and Enabled Sync Contacts.

Contacts newly created and old appear in the Android Contacts App, Text App, Phone App, and Sync with the Desktop MS People app. Note: Make sure the view all accounts is selected in the Contacts App.

As a brand new Android user (just stopped using W. Phone after 10 years, I started with a Samsung Focus, sad) this took some time to figure out but it's working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99