Windows Mobile

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Is Microsoft killing everything in preparation of a new reincarnated Device?

It's killed off the Lumia brand and is killing Windows 10 Mobile. I wouldn't call that everything, but it all points to Windows 10-powered ultramobile devices with telephony and CShell for adapting itself to different-sized screens.

Microsoft better pull it off swiftly and efficiently this time

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Microsoft better pull it off swiftly and efficiently this time

Just like everybody was hoping for... the time before that, and the time before that, and the time before that...

As you can tell, I for one have little faith in MSFT's abilities to do anything swiftly and efficiently, my personal experiences with all their updates on Mobile and PC attest to that. And even if they pull something off who's to say they won't be having a change of heart a few months down the road like they've been doing the past few years. Hard not to be skeptical when you think they "got-er-now" only to have them decide, "naw, that just not quite what we were looking for".

Like anything in this world it can always be better, but if you're always changing direction/retrenching then it'll amount to very little. And if MSFt is claimed to be the "software guru" why can't they seem to devise a plan that sustains forward momentum? Obviously they haven't been able to do that up to this point which tells me, they haven't a clue.

So "YES", IMO they are killing everything and chances are it'll likely include any new reincarnation(s).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Too many comments here from too many armchair CEOs proclaiming the death of Windows 10 Mobile. It may be partially true in the consumer sector but it couldn't further from the truth in the Enterprise side of things. How many here knew that WinMo 6.5 is alive and kicking? Microsoft finally scheduled EOL for WinMo 6.5 and it's for 2020. Look it up if you like, I already knew this earlier this year when one of my EDAs (Enterprise Digital Assistant) grabbed its last update on 6.5. Android has been trying to make in-roads in this sector for some time and it's finally getting through - on KitKat no less.

HP is filling the void left by Motorola when Google and subsequently Lenovo bought them out. You'll never see published sales numbers in this category and unless you're familiar with these handsets, you'd never know they existed. Windows 10 Mobile is taking its proper place as WM6.5's successor. The King is dead, long live the King.

Matt Marshall1

May 24, 2017
Visit site
I'm sure Windows Mobile will supported and linger just long enough for Microsoft to figure out where to go from here. I get the impression from all the press and leaks I've seen this year that the vision is gelling up. But, I still suspect we're a year out (maybe more) from Microsoft really have a polished phone replacement.

I know Microsoft has recently said Windows on Arm is NOT about phone. But, I quite doubt that given the nature of C Shell, or the very real prospect of having one branch of Windows on Arm to manage (if Windows Mobile is abandoned), or the much more usable Continuum prospects w/ Windows on Arm, and more.

We Windows Mobile fans are going to seriously have our faith in the platform tested between now and then.

P.S. If Microsoft refuses to bring Windows on Arm to a phone form factor, I can't help but believe (assuming C Shell on Windows on Arm supports it) that one or more OEMs will step up to the plate and make it happen. There's enough potential to make it worth a shot.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Too many comments here from too many armchair CEOs proclaiming the death of Windows 10 Mobile. It may be partially true in the consumer sector but it couldn't further from the truth in the Enterprise side of things. How many here knew that WinMo 6.5 is alive and kicking? Microsoft finally scheduled EOL for WinMo 6.5 and it's for 2020. Look it up if you like, I already knew this earlier this year when one of my EDAs (Enterprise Digital Assistant) grabbed its last update on 6.5. Android has been trying to make in-roads in this sector for some time and it's finally getting through - on KitKat no less.

HP is filling the void left by Motorola when Google and subsequently Lenovo bought them out. You'll never see published sales numbers in this category and unless you're familiar with these handsets, you'd never know they existed. Windows 10 Mobile is taking its proper place as WM6.5's successor. The King is dead, long live the King.

Right on the money ... we use Lumia Icon 929s - with awesome 1920 x 1080 screens in a 5" form factor - and just can't wait for the HP Elite x3 to hit Verizon.

WM 6.5 was all about "BUSINESS PRODUCTIVITY" and Microsoft simply LOST the messaging and cool factor high ground and got by blindsided by BYOD in "corporations"!!!

And, HP is getting that back with the Elite x3 as Microsoft should have NEVER relinquished their WM "position" ... just like XBOX, Bing, etc.

I believe that "IF more success stories like this hit the blogosphere" - VERSUS the WM IS DEAD articles - that "corporations" will both rescue and redefine where WM NEEDS TO BE!

http://fortune.com/2016/09/12/microsoft-beats-rivals-for-hp-software-deal/

Professionally and personally, the HP Elite x3 fills ALL of my business and personal requirements!

Last edited:

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
MS is going to release a new mobile device (I believe) and they will not start another OS to run it. So, the question is, will it run W10M of be an ARM device? Earlier I was leaning toward ARM but rethinking things, I am now leaning toward W10M.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99