Should KEYone give WP/10M Fans Hope?

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
With the launch of the K1 Blackberry has risen from the dead. Yes...i said Blackberry. Now don't misunderstand, I'm not suggesting that BB will surpass iphones or Galaxy's in terms of sale volumes. All I mean is that they've managed to produce a phone that is being received VERY well by enterprise and consumers alike (due to its excellent hardware and software).

For yrs BB fans, like us WP fans, we're hoping against hope for a rebirth of their beloved brand. In fact, I would dare say that BB fans are as loyal, fierce, and yes sometimes defensive of their brand as us. And guess what? All their patience paid off. The rebirth of BB is well underway.

So should this give us hope? Can MS rebirth our dying brand and make a phone thats well received by almost everyone (like the K1)?

RalphEllis

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
Microsoft could make an Android device with a hardened kernel and have all the MS apps preinstalled however the Google Android agreement specifies that specific Google apps have to be installed and often start out as the default apps. That would have to be negotiated as some court cases have attacked Google over this.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
All this trouble, why not just buy an android phone in the first place or does anyone really think Microsoft will jump through all these ridiculous hoops just to sell to Windows Phone fans?

Sent from mTalk

eshy

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand how an Android running BlackBerry device can give any hope to WP fans.

The problem with WP is the OS itself and the lack of 3rd apps (and 1st party, strangely) that support it.

BlackBerry had the same issue and their "comeback" (don't call it a comeback, at least until their sales get somewhere near where they used to be) is only due to the fact that they abandoned their own OS and switched to Android.

Now, if Microsoft did that these devices wouldn't be WP anymore. In a way Microsoft already did by releasing apps for the two other platforms and selling Android devices in their retail stores. The phone hardware itself was never their business, that was Nokia (which is now another brand making Android devices).

So, the TL;DR here is that NO, seeing BlackBerry or Nokia smartphones should not be encouraging to WP fans. It's a completely different scenario where the two big players in the smartphone world ditched their own OS and ended up with Android instead

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Im a ex BB lover and eyeing the BB KeyOne, will wait for the next iteration and see what the landscape is like. BB uses Android, I cant see MS using that OS unless they stick to services only, thier Cloud first (they certainly are now) and Mobile first (They can 'claim' they are by pointing to Office apps on rival platforms) is a moniker that needs to change.

Look, the environment at Microsoft is that of exceptionalism. They actually think they are better than everyone else and this pig headedness leads them to make really stupid decisions. I have heard many times a developer with an idea, talking (they sometimes talk :) to a manager and the manager saying there's another company doing that, we will just buy them, and then carry on talking to other managers about who has the best car in the parking lot lol. I've seen this kind of arrogance across departments, across sites and across countries.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
You are missing the obvious here. If Amazon can offer Android apps, Microsoft can sure do as well.

If Microsoft would offer a Microsoft-account bound Android, it would spare us the humiliation of creating a Google account. A simple APK, download, sideload and turns every Android into a Microsoft droid.

Or what about an Android, any Android, that is guaranteed to get updates?

And btw, they won't need UWP apps, because UWP will at one stage bite the dust, because of Progressive Web Apps.

The amazon app store is definitely worse than the windows store, it has less apps, and lower quality apps.

Google play services are required for the majority of apps, and those services are dependant on a relatively stock, google approved android.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The amazon app store is definitely worse than the windows store, it has less apps, and lower quality apps.

Google play services are required for the majority of apps, and those services are dependant on a relatively stock, google approved android.
The only time I've used the Amazon Store has been on BlackBerry OS10 and it suuuuucked. However, I don't think Google Services were required or they wouldn't run on a BlackBerry without the Cobalt hacks.

Sent from my Xperia XA Ultra

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Working for the government I can say that Blackberry's niche has always been security, because of the legacy aspect its' OS provided. They didn't have the resources to expand as the need for greater capacity grew. You had the networks crashing or conflicting with other data computing devices causing black outs. Blackberry still has a stamp, albeit is small one on enterprise. A lot of government employers are switching to iPhones. The problem with Blackberry is this is who they are. MSFT isn't defined my any means by their footprint in the mobile realm. It's the reason that while you read about all this doom and gloom with regards to W10M, MSFT stock continues to rise. They continue to draw interest from consumers in the Cloud space, and have established their foothold in the 2-1 category. What I think the Keyone does is reinforce how much of in impression MSFT can provide if their next rendition of a mobile device can have. Microsoft has seen this movie before with the Surface series. If they can somehow capture the power of a full desktop OS on a portable device with the capability to call, and has a writing(surface pen) and VR(HoloLens) component, they would provide a piece of hardware that no other company can provide. Anyone who uses the Office suite, or plays Xbox, or plays music with the Groove app, or watches movies and shows with the Movies and film app would be interested in the least to see a preview of the device. Now you can write like you're writing on a chalkboard or draw like you're drawing on a wall. Skype with someone and see their image take up the entire space in front of you. Stream Xbox live games at a cinematic level, and watch movies like you're watching them at the theatre. This is the power of resources that MSFT has. Slowly the pieces are coming together. We as critics continue to bash MSFT on there endless missteps and poor decision making with regards to mobile, yet I think they know exactly what they are doing. Only time will tell.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
The only time I've used the Amazon Store has been on BlackBerry OS10 and it suuuuucked. However, I don't think Google Services were required or they wouldn't run on a BlackBerry without the Cobalt hacks.

Sent from my Xperia XA Ultra

No what I meant was google services are required for google android's broader app selection. Hence why the selection on the amazon app store is so bad. I was merely pointing out that it is impossible to fork UWP into android, without making it not google approved, and thus worse than windows store's selection anyway (not that you'd want to hamper UWPs growth in such a way).

In other words, even if it was a good idea (which it isn't), it wouldn't do anything beneficial.

Inaam Ashraf

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
No Windows WILL NEVER work on mobile. The best shot MS had was when WP8.1 was prospering and W10 was just around the corner. Since then, it has been downhill and it will remain so... Why? Because Windows Store is still as good as dead. I have been recently FORCED to using android and boy I hate the boring OS... I miss features of WP like LIVE TILES, GLANCE, Push Notifications and simplicity to name a few! :crying:

Enza Knight

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
It's given me so much hope that I went and bought a KeyOne. With the BlackBerry makeover & custom apps, physical keyboard this phone has made me "Productive like a Boss". My 950XL was getting too glitchy and who knows when the mysterious Surface phone will arrive so BlackBerry KEYone it is.

Asif Shadab Malick

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
With the launch of the K1 Blackberry has risen from the dead. Yes...i said Blackberry. Now don't misunderstand, I'm not suggesting that BB will surpass iphones or Galaxy's in terms of sale volumes. All I mean is that they've managed to produce a phone that is being received VERY well by enterprise and consumers alike (due to its excellent hardware and software).

For yrs BB fans, like us WP fans, we're hoping against hope for a rebirth of their beloved brand. In fact, I would dare say that BB fans are as loyal, fierce, and yes sometimes defensive of their brand as us. And guess what? All their patience paid off. The rebirth of BB is well underway.

So should this give us hope? Can MS rebirth our dying brand and make a phone thats well received by almost everyone (like the K1)?

tbh, I am very confused with blackberry. I know blackberry is all about security and privacy, but now that iit has android, how do they maintain their chief feature? whatever that is, if newer versions of windows can allow that to happen, I think yes. I would love to have a 6 inch windows 10 device with android apps when its just me and the device, and with desktop windows apps(store or otherwise) when docked(wired or wirelessly, think of the proximity connect which Microsoft talked about, once upon a time) I would buy that device any day for a price of around 700-800 USD, same as launch price of current android and apple flagships. because such a device would fill up all my needs, and I am very sure people would love to buy this. I remember, back when lumia 950 launched with continuum, I saw so many tech sites and youtube channel review that device, channels who claimed to have never reviewd a windows device in the past year or so as they had considered windows phons "dead". they did so because they just couldn't resist the thought of trying out a phone "which can be your PC" . I also remember the chief complaints of many of the sites were no multitasking, and no apps. if Microsoft finds a way to use android like blackberry did, I am sure t will be a bigger new item than 950 xl, especially because of the surprise element. but that's a BIG IF, and with the android app bridge out of commission for over a year, I really have no idea, Microsoft is a very uncertain company, for good or bad. lets see. fingers crossed.

Manu Tyagi

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site

BB as as hardware brand is living on..BB as a software gone.. Nokia as a hardware is gone but Nokia as brand for phones is making a comeback... but WP that is dead as . Microsoft may brings a full W10 mobile device which can run sprints across the globe if ever it come but WP is dead..the WP which was liked for its design, UI & UX and yes the big APP GAP but that was the best ever I had used.. even if Microsoft does something out of this universe and make W10M the most successful ever mobile OS, I dont care now..because when I did all i was left was rebooting and random crashes.. now using a galaxy s7 running android i don't feel the pull to W10M. So a rebirth or not most will not want to be stranded once Microsoft realizes to retrench and do some thing new AGAIN.

iamnixster

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
I don't think its right to call this as a comeback for BB. Why? Coz its not BB OS. And they adopted android instead. Its just like Nokia who did the same. Its just a name game, nothing more!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think its right to call this as a comeback for BB. Why? Coz its not BB OS. And they adopted android instead. Its just like Nokia who did the same. Its just a name game, nothing more!
So by your logic Samsung, LG and HTC are fakers since they dropped Windows Mobile 6.5 and adopted Android. At least BlackBerry has done an admirable job of replicating the best features from OS10 onto Android.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo onmTalk

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Of course Satya knows what he's doing, and yes will tell, but why don't they share anything with us the loyalists? Do you think the surprise factor is something good for a dead mobile vision (In the eyes of the globe)?

Rob Bozzuto

Oct 7, 2017
Visit site
I sure hope so. Bought an HP Elite that took a crap on me and Windows store doesnt fix those. WTF!!!?? So Im thinking about trying out a Blackberry now.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Honestly I'm not too impressed the new BBs. Everything else is good, but the camera's are poor, and the keyboard, the main feature is not as good as the old q5, q10, or curve. Being that's the whole point really outside of BB hub, I just dont fine them compelling. I wish I could.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Honestly I'm not too impressed the new BBs. Everything else is good, but the camera's are poor, and the keyboard, the main feature is not as good as the old q5, q10, or curve. Being that's the whole point really outside of BB hub, I just dont fine them compelling. I wish I could.
, I wonder why they have not yet remade the Priv with new hardware, I never tried it but to me that design seems to be great (keyboard and still a full/large screen).
Out of curiosity; what do find better about the older blackberry keyboards than the keyboard the KeyOne has?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
, I wonder why they have not yet remade the Priv with new hardware, I never tried it but to me that design seems to be great (keyboard and still a full/large screen).
Out of curiosity; what do find better about the older blackberry keyboards than the keyboard the KeyOne has?

The old keys have a rounded quality, they stick up, have separation between the keys, and have buttons for special characters and punctuation. It's very tactic and provides easy access to every symbol you want to put in. Mainly it's the separation of the keys.

The layout of the new BBs keyboard seems to be more of an afterthought. Not particularly tacticle or ergonomic. They do have a raised style, but I've heard reviews complain about the keyboard experience.

Here's the q5s keyboard

Blackberry-Q5-Keyboard.jpg

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
To their credit, the keyone 2 does have a slight separation between the rows of keys now. So it's probably nicer in that way than the keyone.

Some other small changes I'd like to see, is the navigation buttons disappearing. IDK, it's a TCL design, not a blackberry design, and it just doesn't have that design finesse that they had. Maybe by about version 3 they'll have some of this ironed out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss