Hi. I bricked a l640 beyond repair when i was running release builds a few months back, and i have recently purchased a 930. Is it worth going back? I personally dont think it is. What actually are the changes to the frequent updates? I didnt notice anything different about my phone from each experience. What is your recomendation? Has the programme improved? I know a little about handsets & have several android devices, all rooted ,also i am familiar with wprt. Any input apreciated 👍
    08-08-2017 01:22 PM
    Not many changes these days, it comes down to how dangerous you are I suppose but eh. There isn't as much exciting stuff like back in the beginning.
    08-08-2017 05:54 PM
    I ve decided to stick to w10 official. Thx for input.
    08-08-2017 08:12 PM
    I worry about the security on those builds?
    08-08-2017 09:56 PM
    My 930 I forced it to feature 2 and it's doing ok... nice battery! but I don't daily drive it..... but sitting there on wifi getting my mail, instagram and other various notifications seem decent
    08-09-2017 03:13 PM
    Stable w10 is unstable enough for me.
    ramyZgHR likes this.
    08-09-2017 04:19 PM
    W10 is unstable on official builds. I use as daily driver . Love my 930 :-)
    08-09-2017 04:22 PM
    Hi. I bricked a l640 beyond repair when i was running release builds a few months back, and i have recently purchased a 930. Is it worth going back? I personally dont think it is. What actually are the changes to the frequent updates? I didnt notice anything different about my phone from each experience. What is your recomendation? Has the programme improved? I know a little about handsets & have several android devices, all rooted ,also i am familiar with wprt. Any input apreciated 👍
    Can software really break a piece of hardware? Please let me know because if so I will opt out.
    08-11-2017 10:50 AM
    The author totally misses the point with what the Insider program is for and does a disservice to it by implying, in a vague way I admit, that it's a hassle. I think it's really cool program, love it actually. Don't use it on devices you care about day to day.
    08-11-2017 10:54 AM
    I don't, mainly because my wife also uses the same computers for work. I'm in IT. I could handle some bugs, at least slow ring level of bugs. But the hassle for the less tech-savvy is not worth it. This was evident when we used to be on the betas for Xbox One. Not able to watch TV for a week? Not great. Not able to do your job? Even worse.

I tried going Insider just once on my HP Elite x3, only release preview to try to go Creator's Update early. It immediately bricked the phone, had to use the Windows Device Recovery Tool to get it functioning with a clean install again.

I still love the idea of the Insider program, and if I was single, I would do a lot more of it (other than perhaps the phone).
    Last edited by ryanlrobinson; 08-11-2017 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added last paragraph
    08-11-2017 11:26 AM
    I started with the insider program back when I had a Lumia 920. (actually, I had 2 of them) The insider program was decent, and it was great getting to run Win10 on my phone. However, with the 920, there were a few things that just never worked well - 1. It was SLOW. 2. The wifi hotspot never worked right. As I found out near the end, there was a setting you could change that made the hotspot work, but it introduced other issues wifi related.

I still have those Lumia 920s in a cabinet.

About 16 months ago I went to the Lumia 950 when they announced Win10 would never officially come to the 920. And I've been running insider builds on the 950 ever since, and have really had almost no problems at all running insider builds.

I also run insider builds on a 17" laptop, 13" convertible, and my original surface pro, along with my xbox one. Back in the early days of the insider program, I had to wipe my 17" laptop and go back to a released build because of defects, but that was at least a year and a half ago. These days, i'm not too worried about insider builds having major issues. MS seems to catch them and block releases before they get out.
    08-11-2017 11:42 AM
    For mobile I think the insiders builds ate not worth the hassle. But I appreciate the hard work insiders do to help improve windows 10 mobile official release update performance. I do see windows 10 mobile improve over time. But fixing bugs could still be far better and many basic features problems still haven't been solved or addressed.
    08-11-2017 12:11 PM
    I joined due early win 10 just didn't seem as useful as 8.1, looked for the updates getting back to 8.1 features, one drive was so much easier to use on 8.1
    08-11-2017 12:41 PM
    I think, just like the recommendation text says, you should never install it on your daily driver. If you have another one, go ahead. On mobile I never had any major bugs (Other than semi frequent restarts). On desktop I had a couple of crashes that made me go back to regular builds. On Xbox it was the worst, so bad that even out of Insider builds it still has the same bugs. I work as a game journalist and wasn't able to capture or edit video with it. Sometimes the downloadable copies didn't work. It has driven me mad for some time (looking forward to upgrade to the X this fall)
    08-11-2017 01:51 PM
    Hi. I bricked a l640 beyond repair when i was running release builds a few months back, and i have recently purchased a 930. Is it worth going back? I personally dont think it is. What actually are the changes to the frequent updates? I didnt notice anything different about my phone from each experience. What is your recomendation? Has the programme improved? I know a little about handsets & have several android devices, all rooted ,also i am familiar with wprt. Any input apreciated
    I felt it was when testing Windows 10 as it released. It was exciting to be part of the jump from Win 8 to 10. But then I bought a GTX 980ti graphics card and it didn’t work as there were no Win10 drivers for it at the time. That’s the last time I used an insider build.

I think they can be fun and it’s great to contribute to the evolution of the platform. What isn’t fun, though, is when things break. I’m used to be being a beta tester and I always hop on the public betas for iOS and other services. Having a working Windows pc is too critical for me though and I have no other Windows device in my home outside of my gaming computer so there will be no more insider builds for me.
    08-11-2017 03:54 PM
    These days, i'm not too worried about insider builds having major issues. MS seems to catch them and block releases before they get out.
    Well consider this: on recent release of Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, the fix for Defender, as recommended by the community was to reinstall third party anti-virus/malware solutions. So are they getting better? Completely irresponsible to leave participants open to threats. "Oh but the releases are beta" is a lame and unacceptable excuse if you ask me.
    08-11-2017 06:09 PM
    Windows 10 Mobile is flaky enough as is. Couldn't imagine how bad insider builds must be.
    08-12-2017 10:26 AM
    I'm a fast ring insider and to be honest I don't notice the difference between production ring for the most part.

The issues that annoy me in PRD ring are the same that annoy me in the insider fast ring as well. There are times where blue tooth or a specific app becomes in-launchable.

Issues I commonly find in PRD or FastRing using Lumia 950XL.

MESSAGING

- Sending messages is not reliable as pressing send, does not allow me to start typing the next message or attach an image.

- Attaching a saved image sometimes crashes the App.

- Attaching an image from CAMERA sometimes crashes the app and does not save the photo.

- If I take a screenshot, try to attach the image, I'm often not able to find the picture even if I go to FOLDERS > Screenshots.

- Group messages sometimes crash the app

SCREENSHOTS / PHOTOS / CAMERA

- If I take a screenshot, try to find the image and "SHARE", I'm often not able to find the picture even if I go to FOLDERS > Screenshots or Photos folder. Somehow they show up later (usually after 5+ minutes) or if I restart the device.

- Applying enhancements (Probably the most annoying thing of the photos app that I can't turn off.) Most of the times, I prefer the color before these so called enhancements are applied. My work around is to take a screenshot before the changes are applied to keep the beautiful colors (but then loose the MEGAPIXEL count)

- Photos app sometimes crashes when sharing

- Sometimes Sharing and tapping on an APP does not launch the app, and I need to CLOSE the app and restart the process or go to the app and attach it via "ATTACH" feature.

BLUE TOOTH
    - Blue tooth is probably one of the things that gets the most buggy in the insider builds. In the PRD ring it tends to be more stable from my experience. The biggest problem I see with Bluetooth is, if the phone starts a different application like browsing the web or launching facebook app, the sound starts skipping or added noise and echo is experienced.

- When connected to a car it's a hit or miss and Cortana cuts in half way.

- Adding other devices like Chromecast is close to impossible even though you can find the device to add, you can't choose it as a source to broadcast it to.

PHONE
    - Both builds also often don't notify me of missed calls on the tile, unless I click on it. Which by then it's already unhelpful.

PEOPLE
    - I can't confirm where the problem lies, but it feels like People's syncing is not consistent from Phone to cloud to pc to cloud to phone.

CAMERA
    - When launching the camera from the lockscreen, taking several pictures back to back often causes the phone to restart or crash. This has never been fixed even though I've submitted and upvoted countless bugs.

Some people tell me that I just happen to be unlucky or probably have a bad phone. From my experience with Insider Fast ring on the surface -- I don't think that's the case. Some of these bugs seem to have been there since day one (when I even exchanged my first phone thinking I had a dud 950xl).

In terms of my commitment to Microsoft in these devices -- I am going to continue providing feedback until this one breaks, but I can't say that my next phone will a Microsoft phone since they are not able to make the above experiences seamless like Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8.1.

Windows 10 has huge potential, but it doesn't seem like they are optimizing the experience so that it feels super fluid. Its sad because when people see photos I take with the lumia 950xl, even though there is Samsung S8 out there and iPhone 7s with really great quality, I still get the wow factor from these people.

But when they try to use it -- they feel super disappointed with the response and lack of fluidity (and even more when the camera crashes after taking a picture.) Fortunately for my friendships I'm not so blind or arrogant to recommend the product since I am well aware of the small short comings that make the phone a pain for many, but I'm able to overlook for now.
    08-12-2017 05:00 PM
    Sorry, just catching up on this now. The issue i cant remember the exact date, but i was on release, manually checked update, and an update was available. I procceeded to apply the update and bootlooped. Tried seeking help after numerous failures with wprt. Then, using admin rights & various command lines with the "." at the start to make sure it executed and resorting to try to manually flash the original firmware, but it kept getting midway through, then failing. The device would just reboot. Winusb disconnected actually ment my usb ports are defective ,which i didnt realize at the time. Id quote the guy who said i gave a vague description ,but im not able to do it for some reason... Anyway ,thanks for the input but after the ms blunder that affected windows devices ,i wasnt the only one ,i have decided i dont want to risk with my 930. I am not new to windows devices ,i just had faulty usb ports on my pc. 👍
    08-13-2017 06:18 AM
    Sorry the - .\ in ms care suite folder.
    08-13-2017 06:22 AM
    Also ,RM-1074 fw is not available from recovery tool ,i know this for a fact. Thankyou for for your replies.
    08-13-2017 06:30 AM
    Can software really break a piece of hardware? Please let me know because if so I will opt out.
    Now I'm on my g4 with windows central, which is much easier to use than the app on windows mobile, I can honestly, from experience, say that yes. Software can break hardware.. idk what rock u are hiding behind for the last year's dude, but having rooted and rommed many devices, again I assure you, software can break hardware.
    08-13-2017 07:27 AM
    a few bigger issues on some builds, mostly during early W10 mobile builds , during 8.1-> 10 times. for PC some driver issues too not needs to roll back. sometimes reset. but that is to be expected. but nothing beyond repair i think.
    08-13-2017 11:53 PM
    W10 is probably my preffered os ,as for root on wm ,i have no idea. Only android, which is the main reason i use my android devices more. I use my 930 for purchasing music ,apps & i really like how far the platform has come, enjoy windows ui, the store is pretty good ,i especially like the dark theme with the amoled display ,but im not up to insider builds. Ill be the first to admit i shouldnt be using them ,and leave the developer stuff for my androids.

Chaers all for the input. 👍
    08-14-2017 08:21 AM