Repairing a cracked screen

Mikepoint

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Hello, I need help not a lecture. I was getting out of a truck and my 640 dropped face down on a cement curb, it splintered the screen. Lucky for me the screen cover held it together, just cracked and spreads from one corner. The glorious little ******* still works it just needs a new screen. So here's my question, where and how much? We all know I got it for cheap, but it worth so much more to me. Can it be repaired?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello! I have been summoned by libra89!

I suffered a gravitational accident with my 640 in early 2016 or so (I just sold the 640 recently but that's besides the point) and ended up replacing the display.

The act of replacement itself was fairly easy and relatively cheap as far as phones go.

I spent about $20/25 on eBay getting a random 640 glass/display assembly (no frame or anything, just the panel and LCD) and I see them going for approximately $30 give or take on eBay. This was a relatively tough pill to swallow because the phone cost only $30 (AT&T) but lets be real, by itself that's a great price for a decent phone's replacement screen. (Had a Priv for seven months and if I wanted to replace the screen + glass, it would've set me back over $200 in parts!)

I found replacement instructions online (it wasn't this specifically but it the method was seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikFOuyumrNU - I'd find a better source though) and it went smoothly except I didn't have anything to hold the new display in place, having wrecked the adhesive when I took it apart the first time.

I highly recommend buying a little bit of those thin, black double-sided tape rolls (should be cheap) and lining the frame with it when placing the display back on. I used superglue and it worked but now it's never coming off again and it fogged up the front camera a bit.

anon(9476064)

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, I would either buy a second hand windows phone or, at this stage, choose to go the android or iOs route... The 640 is pretty old by now. Although I have been fixing my 625 also about 4 times. It was 30 euros per screen at the time. So I understand why you want to save you precious phone

hometoy

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
This is a good find right now. The corner of the screen of my 650 is cracked but so far doesn't seem bad and doesn't get in the way of using it (yet).

But I am keeping this bookmarked because at some point I may need to replace the screen if the crack gets worse, or I get additional cracks.

SamiBchennati

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Hello,
I had dropped my Lumia 650 and broke the corner screen that is down on the left. I contacted the Microsoft Lumia department and sent them the phone. They diagnosed the situation and sent me an email saying that the reparation would cost 160$ and if I dont want to repair it I would need to pay 40$. So I got it back for only 20$ somehow and went in different places looking for Lumia 650 screens. I found some, but they where all for approximately 109$. To conclude, its almost the same price as buying a brand new Lumia 650 phone.

ahumeniy

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I need help not a lecture. I was getting out of a truck and my 640 dropped face down on a cement curb, it splintered the screen. Lucky for me the screen cover held it together, just cracked and spreads from one corner. The glorious little ******* still works it just needs a new screen. So here's my question, where and how much? We all know I got it for cheap, but it worth so much more to me. Can it be repaired?
There are more serious things than a cracked phone screen. I had to replace the screen on my Surface Pro 3 because touch was not working and without that it was just a glorified laptop.

Modern hardware is actually easy tu assemble. The difficult part was taking out the old screen which went out on pieces, but everything after was easy as clean up, connect the cables, put some new glue and close everything.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is a good find right now. The corner of the screen of my 650 is cracked but so far doesn't seem bad and doesn't get in the way of using it (yet).

But I am keeping this bookmarked because at some point I may need to replace the screen if the crack gets worse, or I get additional cracks.

Just know that it's possible that the 650 has a vastly different internal layout and construction.

I have the exact same question for my Elite X3. Screen is shattered, phone works great still. No idea how to get it fixed reasonably.

I'm not sure that'll be economical considering the X3 is both relatively rare (for a mainstream phone) and the display is high-quality. Faced with that, I would either cut my losses or find a donor X3.

taynjack

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
A few years ago I dropped my 6 month old 640 and broke the screen. A new screen cost 36.00. A whole new cricket pre-paid phone? 29.99 at Wal-mart. So for less than a new screen, I got a new screen (had to uninstall and reinstall so that added a step) plus a new battery and a new case! Ended up doing this twice because my wife broke her phone too. then the kids had broken screen mini laptops that they were thrilled about. Guess this doesn't help your situation, but it sure was handy back in the day. Not sure what I would do now with a broken screen. Probably switch to Android.

Rishabh Shukla

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site

I got same problem with my Lumia 950xl. Got cracked after it fell on a rock. Though it works just fine. I saw the screen and other tools over eBay to repair but not sure If I will be able to do so and most important if phone work after replacing or not.

jmreuter

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
I broke my 640 screen about a year ago. The great news was that a complete screen assembly was available on ebay for about $30. This is a complete assembly: front glass, digitizer, lcd, metal frame, all ready to drop in. Just a couple of screws and the connecting data cable are all that need to be messed with. No peeling or gluing or heat guns needed.

Look for the assembly, not the replacement glass. The glass alone will be much cheaper, about $5, but not worth the hassle and time to delaminate the existing assembly when you can get the whole thing for about $30.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes