Can I use glue to hold my Lumia 535 screen in place?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

It looks like in the past someone, (might be me!) has caused the top of the screen to bow outwards ans the glue no longer holds it in place. I did have a new screen fitted before this.

Would a couple of drops of glue fix it and what glue should I use please?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I already did that, I see no point in paying again. It can't be that difficult can it, with suitable glue?
Thanks

You could use glue but bear in mind sometimes when:

• charging the phone
  • browsing the web
  • installing any form of update suchas keyboard (language)and or operating system (if any patches are
  • pushed or you are forcing RS Builds)
  • playing games or even taking on the phone via phone call for long periods of time

Can and will cause the phone to heat up.

Therefore it is not recommended to use consumer grade glue and plus you don't want a smartphone screen superglued to your face or ears do you now :winktongue:.

Seriously though if you do affix it with any form of glue do not use any third party or cheap chargers ever as they tend to over charge. Many people have perished in their sleep from using such chargers whilst keeping their phones next to the pillows whilst charging.

If you had the screen recently replaced through a care centre it may be covered under warranty presuming it was a fault during fitting process.

Generally if it's just the case one can gently flex the case to fit again.

Once again I would not recommend using any glue, you will have to use some sort of epoxy due to the high operating temps but is best handled by professionals and people are experienced in handly epoxy.

As it is not for general consumer use due to the extremely painful and difficult removal process should you mess anything up.

Therefore tldr, I concur with ads13.

You have to visit your nearest mobile repair centre or MS Authorised Service centre.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I used superglue to attach a screen once and it technically works but it came with a couple downsides.

Application wasn't perfect so it fogged the FFC a bit and that screen ain't coming off anytime soon.

bertie11

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Techfreak1 for pointing out things I hadn't considered, like temperature. A valid point but I don't think it will be a big problem as my phone usage is minimal in that I hardly ever use it to send/receive calls, I only carry it for 'emergency' reasons, being an old timer I much prefer to use a landline, that way I don't need to try to read what is on the screen in bright sunlight and what with poor hearing to go with it you can see I'm not your typical mobile user!

I charge it in the evening away from my bed, wouldn't dream of having it next to the bed and I have a landline on the bedside table!

I was only asking about glue as if I am playing Freecell, for example, sometimes I cannot move cards at all unless I hold the top of the screen down then it all works, so it isn't a big problem for me, just an annoyance.

Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Given what has happened with Samsung phones and some phones going caput overnight leads me to suspect in some cases glue can become an accelerant and cause damage.

Plus unlike smartphones of yesteryear recent models pack alot onto a small SOC and given the amount of heat these generate... compared older SOCs... :winktongue:

Thanks Techfreak1 for pointing out things I hadn't considered, like temperature. A valid point but I don't think it will be a big problem as my phone usage is minimal in that I hardly ever use it to send/receive calls, I only carry it for 'emergency' reasons, being an old timer I much prefer to use a landline, that way I don't need to try to read what is on the screen in bright sunlight and what with poor hearing to go with it you can see I'm not your typical mobile user!

I charge it in the evening away from my bed, wouldn't dream of having it next to the bed and I have a landline on the bedside table!

I was only asking about glue as if I am playing Freecell, for example, sometimes I cannot move cards at all unless I hold the top of the screen down then it all works, so it isn't a big problem for me, just an annoyance.

Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it!

No problem at all, as pointed out above given there is alot more packed into small SOC's these generate alot more heat compared to older phones. Furthermore they are usually pressed together extremely closely to the battery, in some samsung models that were recalled glue was found to be the cause (accelerant).

Sometimes when I download a keyboard pack on my Lumia 920 gets absurdly hot and so I usually leave it next to the window anytime I update anything.

Which is why I wouldn't recommend using superglue to re-attach a screen as I have seen albeit annecdotal, smartphones get randomly hot sometimes when they are updating, charging but usually if a person is viewing something on youtube and charging their phone at the same time <- that is a sure fire way to end up with a 'baked potatoe'.

Therefore it's best to be safe than sorry as everyone's usage habit differs :).

In your case It sounds like the screen is warped abit superglue may have helped temporarily. You would at least need a vice or something similar to make a good seal to get the screen to flex back into the case. But use too much pressure and you would most likely crack the screen... so there is that to consider... smartphones these days are too fragile lol.

Plus if you superglue your 535's screen to the case... you wouldn't be able to remove the sim or battery should you ever need to :winktongue:.

You could try warping the case to fit the screen but you may end warping the bottom part of the screen away from the case :grincry:. Hence the need of a vice or extremely brute strength (even then it will warp back over time). However that wouldn't resolve the issue you have with freecell.

The issue is that you probably need a new digitizer or screen or both. But without seeing how warped the screen is I can only guess and give general info.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss