I need to know a good music player compatible with windows 10

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have a massive cd collection i want to store on my computer I need to know a good player to use with windows 10. I used to use wmp but I guess guess that is compatible now.

seasidepb

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
MusicBee - it's free and it's really smart - very customisable UI and good tools for ripping and burning - it's particularly smart at handling metadata, downloading info as best it can, but also offering easy editing tools for correcting the metadata so it suits how you want to organise things. You'll need to download the LAME codec if you want to rip to MP3, but that's easily done (instructions included) and also free... or use a truly open source file format. You'll find it here https://getmusicbee.com (and no, I'm nothing to do with the people behind it, just grateful to them).

Dijah Abreu Jr

May 31, 2017
Visit site
I still use VLC. I want to like groove. I Like it's interface and all... but my cpu usage goes up to 20/25% even in idle. Guess that's because it is scanning my huge amount of mp3 files. It would be best if groove played without having to add files to a library.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Windows Media Player is still available and functional on Windows 10 and it's still the best music player on Windows. No Windows Store app comes close to it.

That said, I only use it to manage things these days. As a player I've switched to Next-Player. It's a UWP app (if you care about that which I don't) that works pretty similarly to Groove but much better since you can actually manually tell it to update your libraries, something Groove STILL DOESN'T do for some pathetic reason.
And since you have a large library I know it's far better to have that option than to try to rely on something as unreliable as Groove or even worse, having to delete libraries and have the system build them up all over again.

milkybuet

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Windows Media Player. Rating and auto rating, smart playlist, play queue with drag and drop support, file system integration, best library management, sync with devices.... the list goes on. It's only shortcoming is not having a music subscription attached to it.

Scott McBurney

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Media player aside, if you have a massive CD collection and you are ripping them to MP3 files, I highly suggest putting a copy of everything in the Music folder of OneDrive. You can then sync that with your computer, and play your music from other computers, smartphones, etc.

I have a lot of CDs I have ripped over the years, and sync all the mp3 files to onedrive. It is great being able to access that from any of my computers (work desktop, tablets, laptops) and from our smartphones.

Major Plonquer

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Like you I have a MASSIVE library with well over 500,000 tracks and a few hundred thousand TV shows and movies. There is NOTHING on Windows 10 that does the job. They are mostly for teenies who have a few downloaded music files.

For the past 10 years I've used software from Jriver. It's absolutely superb. Pays EVERYTHING flawlessly and has every feature imaginable. It also handles HUGE libraries. It's not expensive and runs on Windows 10 as a desktop app. Nothing else even comes close.

goncaloncpinto

Jul 28, 2017
Visit site
Have you tried Groove?

For W10M or any portable device is far from being the best player as it drains the battery way too fast when compared to many other players.
I love ACG Player, it works well on a Laptop, but it's full of bugs on W10M and it's a pain to put it working as it should. I need to follow a series of tricks to try to put it working everytime, but once it starts working as it should, works very well. I hope the developers fix those anoying issues, as this player has the potential to be one of the best.

goncaloncpinto

Jul 28, 2017
Visit site
Bread Player looks nice but it's unreliable as hell, first, it was closing by itself lots of times, then, after uninstalled, some days later, I installer a new release, now everything looks and feels perfect, but has one "small" problem, no sound is produced when playing, not through the speakers, nor through headphones (wired or Bluetooth). I may try another version down the line as I really like the UI.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Like you I have a MASSIVE library with well over 500,000 tracks and a few hundred thousand TV shows and movies. There is NOTHING on Windows 10 that does the job. They are mostly for teenies who have a few downloaded music files.

For the past 10 years I've used software from Jriver. It's absolutely superb. Pays EVERYTHING flawlessly and has every feature imaginable. It also handles HUGE libraries. It's not expensive and runs on Windows 10 as a desktop app. Nothing else even comes close.

I have a big library but not as huge as yours. I have a need to have my library of music exported to Excel, with as much metadata details as possible...
any recommendations?

... !

knight0323

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
MusicBee - it's free and it's really smart - very customisable UI and good tools for ripping and burning - it's particularly smart at handling metadata, downloading info as best it can, but also offering easy editing tools for correcting the metadata so it suits how you want to organise things. You'll need to download the LAME codec if you want to rip to MP3, but that's easily done (instructions included) and also free... or use a truly open source file format. You'll find it here https://getmusicbee.com (and no, I'm nothing to do with the people behind it, just grateful to them).

I'm going to 2nd this. I use MusicBee for our music collection (wife and I). We have relatively large music collection and it handles it fine.

Double Blue Jay

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Zune.

Every attempt by MS(Xbox Music, Groove) has been a step or two backwards. Nothing has come close, and why they felt a need to rebuild it from the ground up literally makes no sense. It's still the best player I have used.

ahumeniy

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
What I like about UWP apps like Groove is they can play on the background even when the device is suspended, just like the phone, as long as the device supports connected standby

Brett Watters

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I have a massive cd collection i want to store on my computer I need to know a good player to use with windows 10. I used to use wmp but I guess guess that is compatible now.

It took a long time to get of WMP for Groove. Universal Apps always seem like one step forward and two steps back. When tagging in Groove fails, there is no work-around other than WMP or another app. CD ripping? Syncing with small devices. Managing play lists?

However, all things considered, Groove has one of the best interfaces. On a touch PC, it is no comparison and even on a desktop, its quick and easy for playing music. It also matches what my phone does.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers