Windows laptop shutting down

Rikku Watro

Jan 2, 2017
Visit site
When I press the power button or close the lid on my laptop, it sleeps/turns off the display like it's supposed to, and I can turn it back on and pick up where I left off. But when I leave it with the display off for a few minutes, it shuts down and I have to long press the power button and sign back in to my account. And this happens even though the auto-lock and auto-sleep system settings are already disabled. Is this a safety or battery saving mechanism? If not, is there a way to turn this off? Please answer as soon as possible!

Rikku Watro

Jan 2, 2017
Visit site
It's happening both on battery power and when it's connected to the AC charging brick. The only way I found to keep my laptop from shutting down when I close the lid is to set the lid closing to do nothing (so it just turns the display off). But I can't make it sleep without it powering off shortly after.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It's happening both on battery power and when it's connected to the AC charging brick. The only way I found to keep my laptop from shutting down when I close the lid is to set the lid closing to do nothing (so it just turns the display off). But I can't make it sleep without it powering off shortly after.

What are you using windows 10 home or windows 10 pro or?

It sounds like a corrupt ACPI issue, I have a similiar issue with my laptop running windows 10 pro thanks to a forced driver update via Windows update. I was able to fix that somewhat using a windows 7 drivers for the ACPI controller - But still have a random shut down issue.

Have a look under the windows update history and check if any drivers were installed.

Rikku Watro

Jan 2, 2017
Visit site
It kind of improved recently. First, the latest update made the shutting down occur less often. Then, as far as I know, I found the source of the "problem." The setting "Save power when my device knows I'm away" was turned on, and the shutting down likely happened because of that. When I turned it off, I was able to make my laptop sleep without it entirely shutting down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss