Which video chat app for WP 8.1 can talk to Android?

anon(6144864)

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
So Microsoft would not update Lumia 640 to Windows 10. Skype does not work on Windows 8.1. What does a guy do to get a video chat going from a Lumia 640 (Windows Phone 8.1) system to an Android phone? Any video chat apps that would work on both? Thanks.

anon(6144864)

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes, WhatsApp kind of works, but it seems to not be able to access contact info, so it's not quite easy to figure out how to actually call people. Trying to set it up for an older person in a foreign country.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I would have recommended Skype, but given the fiasco with removing basic features and adding them back again in the name of 'progress'. That trend doesn't seem to be going away in time soon.

If I didn't have to use Skype, I wouldn't touch Skype with a milky way sized barge pole.

But unfortunately I do... as many people I know still use Skype as their sole means of IM communication.

So your other mainstream options are Viber, FB Messenger and Line.

anon(6144864)

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
As I mentioned in the post, Skype does not work on Windows 8.1 any longer. I don't think Viber can do video chats. I don't remember, but I think FB Messenger also has issues on WP 8.1 (would need to double check). Thanks for mentioning Line (never heard of this one before, will check it out).

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
As I mentioned in the post, Skype does not work on Windows 8.1 any longer. I don't think Viber can do video chats. I don't remember, but I think FB Messenger also has issues on WP 8.1 (would need to double check). Thanks for mentioning Line (never heard of this one before, will check it out).

I don't have access to any Wp8.x devices anymore to check, however it would not be surprising as the FB app and FB messenger app on WM10 are osmeta ports, I am not too sure about the Desktop store version.

In regards to Line - knowing a vast array people from different regions does have it's advantages... although I wish they would install world clocks and start thinking about time zone differences lol.

fin11

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
You should be able to update your Lumia 640 to windows 10 mobile (your device is on support list), its not supported for update to fall creators update (not yet released on production build) but you can upgrade as far as creators update CU) and get bugfixes and security updates until april 2019. Skype will not work anymore on wm 8.1 or wm10 th2, but will work on wm10 AU (anniversary update) or CU.

anon(6144864)

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
You should be able to update your Lumia 640 to windows 10 mobile (your device is on support list), its not supported for update to fall creators update (not yet released on production build) but you can upgrade as far as creators update CU) and get bugfixes and security updates until april 2019. Skype will not work anymore on wm 8.1 or wm10 th2, but will work on wm10 AU (anniversary update) or CU.

How do you upgrade Lumia 640 to Windows 10? there is no upgrade option available.

fin11

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Don't have a lumia 640 myself but you should be able to use Microsofts new over the cable update tool with your phone connected to pc over a usb cable. The tool can be downloaded from the link below.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ad%2Fdetails.aspx%3Fid%3D56120&token=LiYuAKPG

As ever make sure phone is fully charged and that you have enough free storage on your phone. Also check that text massages and contacts are synced with your account before update. When on wm10 you shouldn't restore an old backup to avoid problems, just login with your account. Check for updates and update to latest wm10 build and do a hard reset before you reinstall your apps.

Maybe some lumia 640 owners who tried this can comment on the details?

fin11

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
If I remember correctly there's a setting in messages to sync messages between devices that should be ticked before updating if you want to be able to restore messages after update to wm10

anon(6144864)

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Don't have a lumia 640 myself but you should be able to use Microsofts new over the cable update tool with your phone connected to pc over a usb cable. The tool can be downloaded from the link below.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ad%2Fdetails.aspx%3Fid%3D56120&token=kywEr08V

As ever make sure phone is fully charged and that you have enough free storage on your phone. Also check that text massages and contacts are synced with your account before update. When on wm10 you shouldn't restore an old backup to avoid problems, just login with your account. Check for updates and update to latest wm10 build and do a hard reset before you reinstall your apps.

Maybe some lumia 640 owners who tried this can comment on the details?
Sweet. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro