I am debating on replacing my aging desktop (I got it around 2012ish) but I am not sure if I should invest in another desktop powerhouse or to upgrade it or invest in a powerful portable device like a high spec Surface Book.
    Portability might be needed in the future for me and with an option to connect to monitors.

I need to use Adobe applications like Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom.
    I do some video editing and I like to game on the side from light gaming to heavier games like Cities: Skylines.

Any suggestions or recommendations?
    I am willing to spending around $1000 - $1500 cheaper would be nice but I don't think that will be possible unless I am upgrading my desktop. If I must $2000.
    11-13-2017 03:33 PM
    Stick to desktop if heavy usage of your above mentioned applications. Portable devices like Surface book can wait until when the real needs arise in the future. By then a better device would have arrived.๐Ÿ˜
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-13-2017 06:29 PM
    Okay. Thank you! Should I upgrade my GPU and processor? I have an i7 from 2013ish and a stock AMD 4000-ish
    11-13-2017 07:38 PM
    Okay. Thank you! Should I upgrade my GPU and processor? I have an i7 from 2013ish and a stock AMD 4000-ish
    That depends on your needs I guess. If I had to guess, your GPU is probably the bottleneck if you are a gamer.

If you need a lot of things going at once like virtual machines, maybe more RAM, etc.

But yea, I would position that desktop as the heavy lifter as it'll be a lot more economical.

As far as portability is concerned, it depends on your needs but for most, a powerful desktop and merely competent portable are probably a good setup.
    11-14-2017 09:33 AM
    I would get a brand new desktop if money ๐Ÿ’ต is not a major concern, saving all the troubles and getting new toy.๐Ÿ˜Š 5 years is a lot of time for computer parts to have aged and loose efficiency. About time certain parts like PSU is dying...
    aximtreo likes this.
    11-14-2017 05:31 PM
    I am debating on replacing my aging desktop (I got it around 2012ish) but I am not sure if I should invest in another desktop powerhouse or to upgrade it or invest in a powerful portable device like a high spec Surface Book.
    Portability might be needed in the future for me and with an option to connect to monitors.

I need to use Adobe applications like Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom.
    I do some video editing and I like to game on the side from light gaming to heavier games like Cities: Skylines.

Any suggestions or recommendations?
    I am willing to spending around $1000 - $1500 cheaper would be nice but I don't think that will be possible unless I am upgrading my desktop. If I must $2000.
    You can get a very powerful desktop with that budget, other option I would suggest to look at is gaming laptops where u get 16Gigs of RAM and high end graphic card, I find gaming laptops to be excellent creators machine, a bit heavy but portable still.
    11-14-2017 11:52 PM
    Use programs like CPU-Z and GPU-z to get system specs and put them up.

If you have a proper desktop part from 2012 and it's an i7, i really would discourage spending much on upgrading that. You can probably update a few things like make sure you have plenty of ram, buy a SSD, and most probably get a better GPU and you'll get most of the improvements.

This way, you'll be able to have best of both worlds; have a decent desktop for gaming and more cpu intensive stuff, and still keep your money for something down the line if the need arises.
    aximtreo and xandros9 like this.
    11-15-2017 12:41 AM