How to remove Startup Password PROMPT (not password!)

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hi. I recently put a password at startup on my laptop. However, if you type in a wrong one it gives you a prompt... which anyone who knows me could work out, so it makes it pointless to have a password!
I didn't set this up, I don't know where it came from. But even if it's something I've done myself, can someone help me get rid of it?

I've found every answer I can on google and forums but they just tell me how to get rid of the password (with Netwiz). To be clear, I want to keep the password, just not have a prompt.
Thanks!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I recently put a password at startup on my laptop. However, if you type in a wrong one it gives you a prompt... which anyone who knows me could work out, so it makes it pointless to have a password!
I didn't set this up, I don't know where it came from. But even if it's something I've done myself, can someone help me get rid of it?

I've found every answer I can on google and forums but they just tell me how to get rid of the password (with Netwiz). To be clear, I want to keep the password, just not have a prompt.
Thanks!

When you say prompt, do you mean the password hint?

If so you can remove that in the control panel -> accounts -> choose the account you want to modify and remove the hint or just add a . if you can't remove the password hint.

Also if you are using a microsoft account not a local account it could be that your settings synced across and you set up a password hint on another device?

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos