Google is making Android TV'S . Why dont MS make Windows 10 TV ?

Vincent McLaughlin

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I don't think that would be a good move. All they need is their Movies and TV app on Smart TVs. As long as the app is there, it will at least give those of us that use the service other means to watch content. They just need to reach out to manufacturers to have their app installed on their TVs. With that, MS should also create an app for Android and iPhone. Many Xbox users use Movies and TV. It would only bolster the usage of MS's services.

Then...maybe, at some point in the future, should they consider making their own TV. Besides, MS has to really bring more to Cortona in such a device. A smart TV with built in AI that can also work similar to Alexa in the home and search a built in Edge browser would be great. But, MS has to get the two more popularity, before doing such a thing.

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Seems people forget hardware is a thing. MS don't actually have a lightweight TV friendly OS that runs on ARM yet. To make inroads into this market they need to compete with the Fire and Roku sticks of the world. Xbox one S is already close or the same as Apple TV in price. I would think they could sell this device as Xbox lite a.k.a. media with light gaming, but they need ARM chips to hit that pricepoint

Incorrect. Microsoft HAD a lightweight TV friendly OS and they sold it to Ericsson.
The product is called Mediaroom, and it was used by DSL/Fiber IPTV providers the world over.

They sold it to Ericsson in part because they saw the decline of linear TV in favor of other options, and also because of the direction Don Mattrick was taking the entertainment division. A direction that put them in direct competition with their IPTV customer base.

The OS was WinCE running a custom Trident browser that rendered their own markup that preceded XAML.

I have nine Set Top Boxes at my desk right now.

No, MS will not do TV again. MS is pushing heavily right now to get their Telco customers to adopt Hybrid Cloud. Why would they once again try to compete with their customer base in the consumer space, when hybrid cloud is more lucrative with lower support costs?

Last edited:

Lagann86

Dec 19, 2017
Visit site
No. Jumping in on a market just because the competition has done it has lead to having to cancel products because they always go in half assed. Zune, Groove, WinRT, smartwatch, probably others i cant think of, are all products ms released in response to the competition and then later having to cancel it. It makes the company look bad and damages consumer trust in the company. MS needs to have visionary leadership and they need to release products according to company goals instead of responding by releasing late half assed products.

Besides, MS has the xbox for tv needs. Releasing the xbox one x and making the xbox s so cheap with 4k capabilities means ms is exactly aiming the xbox system as a multimedia device. They just gotta keep working on it and improve on their marketing. The biggest thing missing so far imo is a good xbox remote control. Using the xbox controller to use the xbox as a multimedia device is not a very good experience.

IdleMind

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Since KODI started off as XBMC, I think it would be cool to see some collaboration with MS & KODI to better integrate the TV feature by making a KODI XBOX TV plugin from MS. If that takes off and gets a lot of use then they can look at adding a TV service to the mix.

diego3336

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I bought an Intel Compute Stick a few months ago and my only regret is the fact I bought the Atom-based. If I knew how good and useful this thing is, I'd probably spend more to buy the Core m3 one. But even with the Atom processor, the Stick is way more convincing as a 'TV companion' than my Xbox One.

BJizzle321

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
They already have that...It's called Xbox. Buy a media remote with it, or use Smart glass. Also, when they tried to push hard for TV integration they got a bunch of backlash, from people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hirox K

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
> 3) App support is wack
Curious what apps are you referring?
Youtube? Netflix? Office? Outlook? Skype? Whatsapp? Xbox games? XPA titles? Gmail / Inbox? SoundCloud? Twitter? KODI?

Last edited:

jasonxz

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I want a 4K native streaming player that can execute UWP apps with a good remote-based UI (not keyboard & mouse) that can pass-through audio streams to my high-end audio processor instead of remuxing everything so that the machine can give me audible notifications.
And I want it for less than $200 b/c that's what the competition is doing.
This shouldn't be that difficult.

Jaroslav Houdek

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

I do not think Google is manufacturing any TV's. But some smaller TV manufacturers use Android in their "Smart TV" out of pure desperation. LG and Samsung have their own, better and more secure TV OSes.
Who wants a windows smart TV can buy an Intel PC Stick and plug it in their TV. But it's not an ideal solution.
What actually would make sense is introduction of cheaper version of Xbox One without blueray drive, no HDMI input, no optical output, less USB ports and compatible only with downloaded games and Apps. Something like Apple TV of Nvidia Shield TV, but more capable and powerful.

john sydney ellis

Aug 31, 2017
Visit site
your answer to that is still the major tv compampanys still take it as separate organizations with there licence of there government transmission grants also there not happy about the item called frog tv that pulls almost totally free tv that is there rates are cut illeagaly over that one now you can see there a lot of probems still where it is consending that isheu

NiteCourt

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Because they dumped Media Center so why a Windows 10 TV? Media Center was the only one that supported cable TV that required cable cards. I had 6 digital cable tuners and would record 6 shows at a time while watching a recording. With Xbox 360s in other rooms acting as extenders I could watch live TV or recordings in the other rooms. I could watch shows remotely using hot potato and schedule recording with my Windows Phone or PC. Now they don't have crap.

John Stoyle

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
No they should stay away, they missed the boat on this too that ship has already sailed. Leave it to Roku and Fire they are doing it just fine. Google is playing with it and play is the big word there they are doing half *** at it, then apple TV that is even a bigger joke but what do you expect from apple they are a washed up company that now is only known for a mobile device. Just let the pros stick to it Roku has already made a name for themselves in this. Though I would love to see another Microsoft product out there but this is not it. They already have too many failed products we do not need another.

DiogoSousa

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site

Well..I think it's fair enough to say that...this probably will not happen because in some way we can say that Xbox One "is" Microsoft TV.
Of course this is my "portuguese" point of view, since I don't know exactly how's the market in the U.S. but cannot see Europeans desperate for a Microsoft TV when Xbox does exactly what's needed.

Instead...would be nice...really nice to see Microsoft investing hard on smart homes. I think there is no doubt today that smarthomes (or IoT) will be such a huge market, that in such a near future that they cannot just step-a-side thinking that they can be "only" a smart home services company without any "smart device" or just with Invoke.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99