I miss my Windows Phone

mdefran65

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I recently switched to a Galaxy Note 8 , boy am I missing my Windows Phone. So many great things are just not on Android or iPhone. Anyone else mourning Windows Phone?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Same here. Oneplus 3T. Love it, but I keep wanting to go back to WP lol. Even considered getting a 930. Always wanted one, but with the uncertainty (well I guess it's certain now) around old devices and w10. It didn't seem worth the investment.

Also wanted a 950, but the only reason I wanted was for the camera and it didn't seem right to get it just for that. Since support is ending in 2018 (?), I was reluctant to get it.

mdefran65

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Things I miss
1. Continuum
2. Groove Music player (for my own songs)
3. Live Tiles
4 Simple straight forward easy to understand settings App
5. I can cast screen to almost anything.
6. Simple easy to use camera.
7. App integration was near perfect.
8. Getting updates when I wanted them not when Verizon ,AT&T T-Mobile wanted. Loved getting the steady flow of updates!
9. Near perfect notification draw. Android's is messy and confusing.
10. The Plex media app for Windows mobile was far superior to Android and Apple.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I'm not mourning but will admit do miss it to a degree, or should I say we miss the experience/performance WM 8.0/8.1 delivered. W10M has never felt anywhere near the same to me.

Anything Windows Phone (W10M) could or can do better over the competition is overshadowed by its inconsistencies, bugs, and lack of apps, or at least in my opinion it is.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I missed BBOS, but then that faded.
Missed BB10 but that faded too.
Missed Android for a bit but it faded away.
Miss Windows Phone a little but it’s heading off to the great beyond.
Someday I’ll leave IPhone and, guess what.....you guessed it.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I went through WP withdrawal symptoms a year or so ago. An Android would be my daily driver, but I'd always buy, sell, buy again a 1520 or a 950XL every few months. It was fun while it lasted. I'm invested in the Android ecosystem fully now though. I am keeping my eyes open for whatever MS does in the future however.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I went through WP withdrawal symptoms a year or so ago. An Android would be my daily driver, but I'd always buy, sell, buy again a 1520 or a 950XL every few months. It was fun while it lasted. I'm invested in the Android ecosystem fully now though. I am keeping my eyes open for whatever MS does in the future however.

I'm keeping my three Windows Phones because, I'd have to pay someone to take them off my hands - my daughter was going to take them then had a change of heart, bless her sole LOL. Anyway, fun taking one for a spin once in a blue moon. Will admit I have no expectation for MS and what they possibly might have waiting in the wings, I've pretty much closed the door on them.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Nothing can ever replace the Windows Phone for me. The UI/UX is unique and simple to use. Looks really good too ;).

Android over complicates the necessities and crams in a lot of unnecessary stuff imo. Not to mention there is fragmentation between each vendor and in the ecosystem itself. Makes for a plethora of choices for folks, but that is about it as this gives no appearance of uniformity. It is why Android is popular. It is geared to appease almost any flavor of personality :). I am just glad the current Windows Phones I have that run W10M are good until 2019 or so :)

iOS/Apple is more like Microsoft. Or Microsoft more like Apple than it is to Android. Android you can kind of adapt with and use it over time. Apple I feel you either like it and use it or you don't. However Apple has its own qwerks.

Microsoft Windows mobile has its share of quandaries too of course.

Be nice if things were different for Microsoft and they chose to continue in the phone market...for us anyway...
Was it Microsoft who was unable to execute for folks in the app arena. Thus most decided quickly to flock to other Operating Systems and hardware, or was it the lack of newer devices? 6, half a dozen, or the whatever I guess. They are still migrating to UWP (work in progress), but from my perspective even as big as they are they could or chose not keep everything above water in the app store while doing so. Combined with business model to not look back at their mobile assets except to be obligated to support the mobile OS, is hard to deal with I suppose.

In perspective could you imagine if Apple chose to do something like above? Would there be riots in the streets out in front of their stores? Probably not or who knows, but there would be a heck of lot more unhappy users voicing stuff. I got to hand it to Microsoft in that they are doing what is best for the future of its users and itself as a corporation. They have not completely shunned mobile users and in a way have been able to help keep the ones that really need to use the Windows phone platform. It is a difficult spot for them to work through, but seems they are doing what they can to create as little pain as possible over time ;). I don't know, what do you all think?

teaglass

Aug 19, 2017
Visit site
Who is talking about missing? Still using Wp8.1 (private) and W10M Professional. Though my needs are rather basic i have a dread in having to change to IOS or Android. Of course I know that is a bit irrational as well, but I do not want to loose the WP8.1 Keyboard, somehow that works a bit more straightforward for me than the W10M offering by the way. Selecting text works better for me (defining begin and end anchors of text string to be selected).

I admit as well that there are explorer issues in WP8.1, and the implementation of Whatsapp is crude. Still it does not pain enough for me to run yelling to other ecosystems.

Microsoft, you did something good, do not let the market try to convince you from the opposite!

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Nothing can ever replace the Windows Phone for me. The UI/UX is unique and simple to use. Looks really good too ;).

Android over complicates the necessities and crams in a lot of unnecessary stuff imo. Not to mention there is fragmentation between each vendor and in the ecosystem itself. Makes for a plethora of choices for folks, but that is about it as this gives no appearance of uniformity. It is why Android is popular. It is geared to appease almost any flavor of personality :). I am just glad the current Windows Phones I have that run W10M are good until 2019 or so :)

iOS/Apple is more like Microsoft. Or Microsoft more like Apple than it is to Android. Android you can kind of adapt with and use it over time. Apple I feel you either like it and use it or you don't. However Apple has its own qwerks.

Microsoft Windows mobile has its share of quandaries too of course.

Be nice if things were different for Microsoft and they chose to continue in the phone market...for us anyway...
Was it Microsoft who was unable to execute for folks in the app arena. Thus most decided quickly to flock to other Operating Systems and hardware, or was it the lack of newer devices? 6, half a dozen, or the whatever I guess. They are still migrating to UWP (work in progress), but from my perspective even as big as they are they could or chose not keep everything above water in the app store while doing so. Combined with business model to not look back at their mobile assets except to be obligated to support the mobile OS, is hard to deal with I suppose.

In perspective could you imagine if Apple chose to do something like above? Would there be riots in the streets out in front of their stores? Probably not or who knows, but there would be a heck of lot more unhappy users voicing stuff. I got to hand it to Microsoft in that they are doing what is best for the future of its users and itself as a corporation. They have not completely shunned mobile users and in a way have been able to help keep the ones that really need to use the Windows phone platform. It is a difficult spot for them to work through, but seems they are doing what they can to create as little pain as possible over time ;). I don't know, what do you all think?

Think MS would ever make W10m open source? Or let a company like HP buy it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2