Can I trick Windows 10 into thinking my Pen & Laptop is a Microsoft Surface pro?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I've just dropped £1500 on a laptop that doesn't do the thing I literally bought it to do. But since it's not a hardware fault I can't return it (everything works fine).

Basically I want to use music software that has the option to input notes with a pen. Unfortunately the company only seems to have added Surface Pro support. I have a fully functional touchscreen (HP Spectre x360) and the pen that comes with it works, it's just that the music software doesn't officially support non-surface pro pens or screens.

As I'm sure you can imagine I'm none too pleased about dropping this kind of money and finding out it doesn't work! Is there any way I can "trick" windows by emulating a surface pro in any way? It's a fully functioning screen and pen.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Not sure about any way to trick it, but did you mail the company and request them to add support?

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Foonslice

Jan 5, 2018
Visit site
Hi there. I'm the original poster. Thanks for responding. The software is Sibelius 8. Although I haven't contacted them about the problem I've looked at other posts and my understanding is that Microsoft Surface Pro is the only one officially supported and tech support doesn't deal with complaints about non-surface touchpads or pens.

I could request support universal touchpad/pen support. But I'm not sure whether they would respond or how long it might take to implement. In the meantime I was hoping to improvise something!

I just figured it would be possible because it's possible to create software to emulate just about anything. I remember using an emulator to trick GTA4 into running with a steering wheel controller because it officially only supported an Xbox controller. I also remember using an emulator to trick a game that only supported joystick control into thinking that my mouse and keyboard were a joystick. Not ideal but it still worked!

StephenB6427

Nov 1, 2017
Visit site
I wonder if there is another problem at play here in that my Dell tablet and pen worked fine until the Fall Creator's update caused havoc with the pen function. An internet search will confirm this...

There was a workaround available but that option (disabling/enabling pen input under device manager) seems to have come and gone for me.

There are some accomplished graphic artists who are (were) heavy pen users and quite upset, and who are hoping the March Win10 update will restore the pen functionality.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs