1 PC times out entire network

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have a desktop computer running Windows 10 that seems to be causing timed-out connections to all computers when it’s connected to the network.

When I have this computer connected (via ethernet) to my router, I find that internet frequently drops out for all computers. This is verified by a ping of Google started on my MacBook.

However, this affects my internet connection only, and doesn’t affect connections within my LAN. For example, even when Google is timed out, I can still transfer files fine between my MacBook and the Windows desktop.

The reason I suspect my internet troubles has to due with the Windows desktop is that when I disconnect the desktop from my network, the internet connection becomes very stable on all my other computers.

I just can’t figure why or how the Windows computer is affecting the internet not only for itself, but for all others on the network as well. Obviously, it can’t be as simple as something like an IP conflict, since that’d make the Windows desktop inaccessible to other machines on the LAN.

I already tried restarting all the computers, router, and modem in my home. I also tried getting a new router, since I suspected some sort of strange incompatibility between the Windows desktop and my Airport router. But alas, the new Netgear router shows the exact same issue.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a desktop computer running Windows 10 that seems to be causing timed-out connections to all computers when it’s connected to the network.

When I have this computer connected (via ethernet) to my router, I find that internet frequently drops out for all computers. This is verified by a ping of Google started on my MacBook.

However, this affects my internet connection only, and doesn’t affect connections within my LAN. For example, even when Google is timed out, I can still transfer files fine between my MacBook and the Windows desktop.

The reason I suspect my internet troubles has to due with the Windows desktop is that when I disconnect the desktop from my network, the internet connection becomes very stable on all my other computers.

I just can’t figure why or how the Windows computer is affecting the internet not only for itself, but for all others on the network as well. Obviously, it can’t be as simple as something like an IP conflict, since that’d make the Windows desktop inaccessible to other machines on the LAN.

I already tried restarting all the computers, router, and modem in my home. I also tried getting a new router, since I suspected some sort of strange incompatibility between the Windows desktop and my Airport router. But alas, the new Netgear router shows the exact same issue.

This sounds like a typical malware behaviour, I would suggest downloading the following programmes and running a full system scan:

Trend Micro's Housecall:
www.trendmicro.com/en_us/forHome/products/housecall.html

HijackThis (it was obtained by Trend Micro and later released to the open source community):
github.com/dragokas/hijackthis/

Hitman Pro (it's a cloud based malware scanner / second opinion tool)
www.hitmanpro.com/en-us/downloads.aspx

Malwarebytes Anti Malware
www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/
BitDefender Rootkit scanner:
labs.bitdefender.com/2013/02/rootkit-remover/

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb