Progressive Web Apps on W10m

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Will Progressive Web Apps work on W10m? I am guess it should - it is just a function of the browser, right? Not the OS?

Thanks,

Mr. V

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
Here is an example of a web app: app.ft.com It is Financial Times' web app. The thing is, Web apps are designed so that they can be installed on your device like a regular app from an app store. Plus, they can push notifications to the device like an app from the app store. For this to work, Windows Mobile's Edge Browser will need to be updated for this to work, and I don't think it will.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I need to read more about PWAs. Though for Edge to get updated (in that way) to support PWAs, sounds like it would require a more extensive update (feature packed) which we are not slotted to recieve here on W10M. Not to say PWAs will never work on W10M. Just that they will not operate out of the box as one would need without the proper underlying software where it needs to be.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I read about this...but could you help me out.

it does not show up in my app list, nor do I see any options for anything 'appy'.
So, what is the difference between this and a browser short cut?

Thanks,

But when I look at it on my browser, it looks just like a website
Here is an example of a web app: app.ft.com It is Financial Times' web app. The thing is, Web apps are designed so that they can be installed on your device like a regular app from an app store. Plus, they can push notifications to the device like an app from the app store. For this to work, Windows Mobile's Edge Browser will need to be updated for this to work, and I don't think it will.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I asked this too, and I think it's a bit of an unknown. MSFT added some PWA services to edge on mobile at the end of last year.

The appx containers that MSFT is releasing this year, in the store, seem to be described as "browser independent", so I am not sure what degree they require the browser.

I suspect they will require the services running, and at this point, there is no notification services on WM. So IF, they are able to run, they will not deliver notifications unless MSFT continues what it started at the end of last year, and keeps adding the PWA services to mobile.

And you may need to install them manually, even if they do work, because it seems likely they will go straight to the store.

Either way its a curiosity inspiring thought, and certainly someone should give them a good bash, when the next desktop update rolls out.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I just read that some of the experimental services can be turned on, in edge via "about:flags". This seems to include "service workers", "background sync" and, "service worker cache", "push notifications" even on mobile, which to me, admittedly PWA niave, sound suspiciously like the underpinnings of PWAs.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
The pwa mobile.twitter.com seems to load fine in edge on WM for me. I have no idea however if the notifications I just enabled will work, or if it'll be able to run self contained once it's packaged as an appx.

It's smooth though, as it is on desktop.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Okay, so I have heard that notifications are not working - on either desktop or mobile yet. But it's possible (not a given) they will start working with the next desktop update, given it seems edge on mobile is reasonably tied with edge on mobile.

Fingers crossed.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
As it turns out, the new twitter PWA app in the windows store DOES run without the edge UI on win10m.

I'm told, and it's rather a shame that it doesn't do notifications, because supposedly it lacks the service for notifications (and for caching offline). But it does run in the app-like format. That said, PWAs apparently run in some kind of UWP wrapper and are said to be 'browser independent'

I don't actually have a twitter account, but I'll have to have a play with it.

Either way, it's better than nothing. PWA's seem smoother than old fashion web wrappers, and I've been using a web wrapper on my phone for ages for FB (because the mobile version of the FB app sucks), and because they are new and hyped, we'll probably get a lot more of them through the store soon.

A nice bridge for the many years it'll take me to tire of my lumia and move over to andromeda.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
If anyone wants to check this out themselves, just go to the twitter app in the MS store. They have discontinued their old UWP app, and now only offer the PWA app. It's one of very few PWA apps in the store, but I think we'll see a lot more soon (probably around build there will be a burst)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05