HP elite x3 or Samsung (s8/note8) ??

GioDal

Feb 22, 2018
Visit site
Let's begin with the premise that I'm a Microsoft/Windows fan, I love Surface products and I'm now interested in desktop application of smartphones.

So my only choice is between HP Elite x3 and Samsung s8 (or note8).

I really like x3 and continuum, but without development from the company that makes the OS, it's all going to be pointless eventually. I'm not sure how could it be using WP and continuum in 2018 and later..

Can anyone who know both the products suggest me? Not only to the difference between continuum and DEX, but also to the daily use of the smartphones!

Thank you for your time!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
@fatclue_98 has had experience with Dex I believe, maybe he could chime in on that.

I have owned both the S8+ and Elite X3 devices personally, and I am a windows 10 mobile avid user, so to me it is a no brainer on which device to use. I would choose the Elite X3 because I have a hard time using Androids way of managing basic OS features. Backup and Restore/Messaging/email/calendar/contacs sync/phone calls and voicemail have always been fluid and straight forward on the Windows 10 Mobile OS for me. The Samsung's have a skin to "tailor" to the users over all experience that I feel gets in the way at times. Android is not a bad OS, I personally just don't like how it interacts. I have never owned the Note 8 though. The S8+/ S8 have a way better camera and screen, they are Water tight as opposed to Water resistance, and the S8s have carrier support (VoLTE/Wifi Calling, etc) the Elite does not.

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
S8/note 8 are better.
Only problem with dex is unlike continuum you can only use one screen at a time from what I seen.
Features like Windowed multitasking & app support make s8 better choice for longer run.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I'll start by saying I'm a Windows guy and I haven't found a way to shake myself loose for the Windows Ecosystem !!! I have tried, Apple was never an option but I gave Android a fair shake both with Tablet and phone, and always came right back to Microsoft.

However what works for me may not work for you. I tend to think outside the box and I look for ways to do more with less.

As lovely as the Hardware of the S8/S8+ Note 8 and X3 are the price just turns me off.

However I would say you should make note before you buy of things you know you need for sure. What OS fits you best, what apps are a must have.

I'm sure if you can nail down what it is you want to do with a device first, then your options will point you in a direction.

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
If you're going to buy a Windows 10 flagship, I'd advise against the HP Elite X3, because the thing still seems like it has no replacement parts that can be found anywhere! If I'm wrong, somebody correct me, but that alone has been enough to completely turn me off from that device. Buy a Nokia Lumia 950 XL instead, if you wish to continue using the Windows 10 Mobile operating system. Otherwise, buy the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I agree. I've only found displays available for the X3. However the thing is built like a tank (figuratively speaking) and the HP support is excellent in replacing a faulty one fast. They'll last long being built that way so who knows when we'll see the other components make there way to 3rd party sellers.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I've only found displays available for the X3. However the thing is built like a tank (figuratively speaking) and the HP support is excellent in replacing a faulty one fast. They'll last long being built that way so who knows when we'll see the other components make there way to 3rd party sellers.

The only reason I've never grabbed an X3 is the price still has not dropped. $999 still when I last checked and $1700 for the bundle.

I could only say buy the X3 when the price bottoms out, Lumia, Idol, Acer all dropped when Microsoft said no new features for Windows Phone.

I have a feeling HP is going to be a hold out, and wait till after the next thing hits before they allow a drop.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
You may want to try to buy the Hp elite 2nd handed. I did that with my Lumia 950 (~95 eur iirc). The hp will obviously still be alot more expensive (with the 950 XL in the middle I reckon), but probably still a good deal.

GioDal

Feb 22, 2018
Visit site
Thank you, everyone!

It's not a problem of price, I found HP Elite x3 new with dock at near 500 (EU)..
Samsung prices are aligned but without dock..

Point is choosing or not a product that is not supported and updated by the manufacturer (HP)..
And also, I like continuum and Dex functionalities, but maybe they are not so useful in the daily use..

So, your opinions are very important cause maybe at that range of prices (500 EU) there are better choices

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism