For a Microsoft eco-system purist, which is better: iPhone or Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Auman

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I try to stay in the Microsoft world as much as possible, but Win10Mobile has become unreliable (Spotify hardly ever works, Bluetooth is touch and go). I'm not sure i'm going to switch just yet, BUT if i did, which one keeps me as close to Microsoft as possible? Or does it really make any difference?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Simply an opinion here.
I think those that move to Android and cling to MS services may not find the switch that simple.
I tried to stay with MS as much as possible when I started using Android initially.
Eventually I found apps on Android outside the MS services that I like much better.
I still use OneNote on occasion because it's so well done on Android.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
If I had to pick I'd definitely say Android - In saying that, look at each platform for what it is and not as something that can be turned into a Windows Phone clone as it will never be.

Last edited:

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
My LG V20 has been quit stable despite the fact I'm running a tile based launcher. Prior to W10M, I used Samsungs for years, including an S3, S4 and Note 4. All were buggy, bloated and barely usable after 3 to 6 mths requiring hard resets to get things working again. Reason why I tried W10M in 2017. Totally different experience with LG. In fact, my LG is more stable than the Idol 4S I used for 8 months.

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Neither.
They're both terrible. Android is a mess still, with a terrible UI and while you can set Cortana as your default why would you? she can't do anything. if you like Microsoft you should stick with windows phone. I just ditched a brand new galaxy because the MS experience was still so terrible, and it'll remain that way unless MS puts out their own android os.
If you like google, go with android. If you like apple go with iOS, but neither one of them is MS.

toph36

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I have a Pixel 2 XL. I have installed the Microsoft Launcher, Outlooks, Edge, OneDrive and all the Office apps... I setup Cortana as my default Assistant, which I can activate by holding down the home button. It works well. The only time I really use Google services is to download apps from the Play Store. I do use the Contacts and Photos apps as well, but would use the Microsoft Photos app is they release it for Android. I have no issues with the UI. Works fine. I went with a Google phone primarily because 1. I got a great deal on the phone, and 2. the monthly security updates. Good luck,

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I try to stay in the Microsoft world as much as possible, but Win10Mobile has become unreliable (Spotify hardly ever works, Bluetooth is touch and go). I'm not sure i'm going to switch just yet, BUT if i did, which one keeps me as close to Microsoft as possible? Or does it really make any difference?

You’re going to make sacrifices no matter which one you choose. Android will allow you to more deeply integrate certain features of Microsoft’s apps but then you have to deal with the Play Store and all the pitfalls an Android device has.

Some people love the freedom an Android provides but others may hate the fragmented OS updates, lack of ability to remove certain apps without Root, the quality of the apps, etc.

iOS won’t let you do certain things like set Outlook or Cortana as default apps, but at the very least you can delete Apple’s core apps and use those in their place (Android sometimes won’t let you remove default apps without Root, which is a whole other thing).

iOS is restrictive in other ways too like app icon position on the home screen but it also tends to have very slick and efficient versions of MS’ apps and other apps in general. You’ll also get more security control over your apps than Android allows for.

Basically you have to decide if a clean and efficient, but somewhat restrictive, OS is better, or if you’d prefer freedom and customization but at the possible loss of quality and app security.

bleached

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
if you go for iOS, you may as well get a Mac too since they integrate so well. Apple services are also much better integrated so you should use them too if you want the full benefit of their ecosystem.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
if you go for iOS, you may as well get a Mac too since they integrate so well. Apple services are also much better integrated so you should use them too if you want the full benefit of their ecosystem.

I agree with this in that the iPhone was the gateway “drug” to me getting a Mac but if you use Microsoft services to run the backbone of syncing stuff and whatnot, it’ll work fine. I phased out Outlook.com in favor of a different email and PIM provider (FastMail) but that’s just what worked for me.

VHMP01

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Other option may be to wait for Andrómeda if you can!

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I think the answer has to be Android for sure. I am currently using an S8 and it is so Microsoft integrated I have replaced both Bixby and Google now connections with Cortana. The Microsoft Launcher lets me quickly push files between devices, edge browser allows me to move web pages with ease (although IOS has that too). But the real differentiator is notifications. Call and text notices flow seamlessly between the two meaning your phone becomes a companion not an interruption to work.

BanditoTR

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
Choose iOS if you hate giving your data for free to Google. They are a multimillion dollar company and they still has the audacity to get my GPS coordinates without my permission. Wonder what else they are getting without my permission.

Hoppman

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Neither one is a great choice, walled garden with rows of icons, or the ability to run a tile launcher but you have one of the most insecure OS's with 2 years of security updates or maybe 3, then there is the google advertising behemoth that wants to suck up all your data as that is their business model. Scroogle really is one unethical company and they did rather half *** lagdroid from the start.

Vincent McLaughlin

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I have a friend of mine that tried to convince me that I would abandon MS services for Google. I use as little Google service as I can on my Note 8. Having been a Windows user for years, everything I've used and stored uses MS services. I'm not hating on Google, I just don't see a need to switch from MS to Google, simply because I am now using an Android phone. Outlook ties in all my emails, to include Google and Yahoo. I use Office regularly, OneDrive has been my cloud storage source for years and Groove plays all the music I have stored on OneDrive. No to mention, documents and pictures. The only thing I'm missing right now is Movies and TV app from MS. I've learned to live without the Live tiles, but I do miss them. I have Launcher 10, but I use MS Launcher now. Launcher 10 is great for anyone still wanting to have the look and feel of Live Tiles. It even has some features I would have loved to see on Windows 10 Mobile.

My point with all this is, iOS or Android will depend on a few factors.

1. What services do you need?

2. Are you invested in a particular ecosystem?

3. If so, how easy is it to switch over to another ecosystem and use proprietary services or services already used?

4. Do you want flexible customization or limited?

5. Do you want hardware variety or does it matter?

There are other factors, but primarily focused on ecosystem and services to decide that would ultimately determine which to choose.

dlls

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
OS features and good enough MS services or not, my problem is that I simply can not find an Android flagship to match my aging Lumia 950XL.
I let the removable battery requirement go eventually, but I still absolutely want: OLED screen, at least 5.8'', headphone jack, microsd slot, always-on display, Android 8 and regular OS and security updates.
The only contender would be the Galaxy S9+ but I hate the rounded screen corners and the 18:9 aspect ratio (what exactly was it wrong with 16:9? I don't get it). Also, paying 1000 euros for a phone is simply NOT acceptable. Not that I can't afford it, but I just don't think that everything that makes up the phone justifies that amount of money. Adding just another 300 gets you a 55'' OLED TV. How does this make any sense?
I don't want to pay for the R&D into AI, stupid emojis, computational fake bokeh or other stuff that I don't need.
I paid 550 Euros for a Lumia 950XL that gave me everything I needed. Why is it that 2.5 years later must I pay double for an Android flagship that makes more compromises?

I'm really starting to feel like going back to a feature phone and buying a tablet would be the best choice.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
My choice is iOS, but if I stayed Android (I did try it), it would be with a Google Pixel device. I prefer first party hardware, you get updates fastest, and it seems to run the best. That is why I used Microsoft/Lumia devices with Windows Phone.

I think the experience on iOS is just smoother, and the quality of the apps (even though I don't use that many) seems to be better on iOS than on Android. I still use a lot of Microsoft apps, and they work well on iOS, better in most cases than they did on W10M. Sure you can't set them as defaults like you can in Android, but they work great for me.

It would take a lot to make me switch from iOS, but I will always be tempted by Windows, so I am excited to see what comes out of Redmond in the coming months/years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos