My screen is black?!

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I updated my windows computer yesterday and now it won’t work! I can turn it on and enter my password as usual, but my “home screen” just turns black?! A little window pops up sometimes saying something along the lines of “personal settings doesn’t answer”. What do I do about it? Should I just leave my computer on and wait to see if it’ll fix itself?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
So basically the computer is on, but the screen is just showing black instead of the usual desktop with programs? What I usually do: open task manager (ctrl shift esc) > you might or might not have to click on the 'show more' option (bottom of the new window > file (top of the new window) > run new task > type in: explorer.exe

From my understanding this essentially forces the windows explorer to restart, which in turn forces the system to respond and usually this gives me the normal desktop back. As to what the actual cause might be, I'm not sure.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Neil Pinnington

Apr 22, 2018
Visit site
I had a similar problem affecting only one user on my home Win10 desktop. Tried this solution. It started Windows explorer but the screen stayed black. Anything else I should try before creating a new user and copying stuff over? The user does not use computer very often and may not have logged in between upgrades.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett