How to see and detect bandwidth use by internet users

malamute63

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Good afternoon everyone!
I think my question is simple. I have a Netgear Nighthawk AX2600 router i use for a apartment, i share with friends. But,,lately,,the internet speed has slowed considerably, i think some people are tech savvy, and know how to manipulate the router ...or something...to give themselves/ their computers more bandwith,,cause my laptop goes to a crawl sometimes.

Can i do something so they can't hog all the bandwidth??? I would've googled my question,,but i'm not sure how to word the question.

Thank you.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Go to the router's interface on one of your computers. Typically its a web page; the manual should tell you the URL.

Look at the devices that are active when you notice a problem. It may take some effort to identify all of them. If the name is cryptic you may need to compare the MAC addresses shown to your various devices. Make a note of the MAC addresses of all the legit devices.

If you see freeloading devices, you need to figure out how they gained access. If you failed to set up security, anyone can get in. If you set up weak security, some people will be able to get in. If you used a really bad kay for the security, someone could guess and get in. Make sure you changed the default router user interface password or anyone can get in. Some routers have WPS which is a way to connect devices without typing keys. Make sure that is turned off or requires access to the router to use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss