Views about Build 2018!

donhackman

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
No but don’t think I/O did either...I guess having both in the same week caused quite a few people to have to choose between the two. All in all the conference was a success. I am excited to get started on the AI and ML improvements.

Roman DeSilva

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Microosft = IBM

:unhappysweat:

Microsft is basicly IBM now.

This is the 1'st time I watched Build only to feel like Microsoft has kinda thrown in the towel. They've essentially said they're happy being the back end to everything else. But then again, Nadella is a suit. He's a coorporate guy. For all the winching about Ballmer, he was excited and gung ho about the consumer space. At this point I think it would be better if they split Microsoft Hp style. Sold Microsofts consumer efforts (Xbox, Surface, anything that could be remotely mistaken for fun) to Bezos/Amazon.

Then Nadellas Microsoft can go away and be a B2B. Because they have no follow thru. Look at Cortana. she was ahead as far as capabilities. now she's so far behind they've pivoted away from digital assistant. Look at skype. They've lost ALL interest in building it out. The iOS/Android version isn't even avail able on Windows. They bought Xamarin and have done less than nothing with it. They talked a big game of developers bringing their apps to Windows but have A: never done the kind of developer push the way they did with windows phone or Wondows 8 or 8.1. Or B: brought their own apps to Windows 10. Notice theres' no FLow app for windows 10.

They've litterally put more effort into making Android more usable than Windows 10 tablet mode. Microsoft should just go all in on Azure and enterprise. Because unless Nadella retires, consumers like us are just going to be an afterthought.

Nitish_KSharma

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
In general as a young dev working on MS tech, I am yet to consume a lot that was produced in build. But whatever I have seen so far or heard, I am impressed. I was hoping they'd tease more on consumer products but that's just expectation, they don't have to fulfill that in a dev conference. Its a technology company first and foremost. A lot of tech they develop, many a times doesn't result in their own products but in other company's products. It has to be looked at in this context.

Nitish_KSharma

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
If you are a consumer focused developer my advice would be to start learning Android Studio and Java as soon as possible. The writing is clearly on the wall.

Its Not. Sorry to inform you but you are grossly wrong. See xamarin as an example. There were sessions on Xamarin as well as XAML standards both of which are very much consumer focussed dev technologies. Besides, a lot of talk on .net which ultimately is powering all of this. Miguel de Icaza was there as well as James Montemagno, both Xamarin guys. Talks on XAML standards were also focussed on how the standardization will be help xaml of UWP and Xamarin on same level. All of this is extremely consumer-centric tech.
Besides, it would help if we can come to senses that Microsoft as this point does not have their own platform in mobile where majority of consumer centric development is happening, but still they are enabling devs who use their tech to develop on these platforms. That's very commendable. I think you need to understand that "a developer is a developer". One who basically writes clean codes, following good patterns and has good knowledge of software engineering and development process. IMHO, being a consumer focussed or enterprise focussesd developer is not a thing.

thundr51

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I've been a dev all of my professional life and for me build was the equivalent of E3. I'd rush to my msdn account downloads and grab the latest stuff and immediately start writing stuff (mostly just for fun). But I haven't been excited at all about the last couple of builds. Nothing there for me. I get it, cloud is the future, but working in a corporate environment that is still using windows 7 (like a LOT of corp environments) we know it'll be a while before we can make use of any of that stuff. And, taking into account that I am in a position that works with the government I KNOW we aren't going to see anything cloud related for even longer (We FINALLY got rid of all our XP machines last year). MS is a business trying to make money, but it seems they are mostly focused on the top 10 of the fortune 500 or so. Thats it. I get it, go where the money is, just don't expect the bulk of your developers (you know, those guys who don't work in Silicon valley or Seattle) to be excited about the cloud, etc. when we're still trying to support windows 7 systems and working to upgrade to 10.

MosaicMarch

Mar 14, 2018
Visit site
Its Not. Sorry to inform you but you are grossly wrong. See xamarin as an example. There were sessions on Xamarin as well as XAML standards both of which are very much consumer focussed dev technologies.

XAML, UWP... For what?! Business apps? C'mon, you gotta be kidding. "U" in UWP comes from universal (Pc, Mobile, Xbox) but without phones universality is just a wish. We live in a world where even greatest business have mobile frontends. And guess how many developers are interested in developing mobile frontend for dead platform. And having mobile frontend on Windows PC (UWP app) is just BS. People will rather use web browser and access functionality. Another guess - how many people actually use Edge to access web content? And this fact is really important. Not only consumers but also developers, prefer to use and write native Win32 app (e.g. Chrome, Firefox). Even "old" Paint instead of UWP Paint3D. And for full fledge business desktop apps, devs and users like look and feel win forms provides (talking about ms technologies only). In that sense, UWP is failure - it haven't provided upgrade nor to native, nor to managed (WinForms) environments. People were just not happy about it. How many people enjoy using new Mail and Calendar app, Photos, Grovie, Movies and TV as player in comparison to outlook express, VLC, etc... And if you build a system on technology people don't embrace they will not embrace the system as well. And we see Win10 loosing ground, struggling to reach that 1b users. Android has how much already? It's pretty obvious, MS is loosing not only users but also ground and UWP is not helping. It might be it is even the reason! Not as an idea, but as a realization.

Last edited:

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Build was a big disappointment for me this year. But last year wasn’t stellar either. I’ve basically come to realize that Windows itself is both no longer exciting, nor aimed towards me. Microsoft has gone all in on business, cloud, and AI. I’m just a consumer, none of what MS is aiming for interests me.

These days my Windows PC is just a dumb pipe that boots Steam and lets me do some web browsing. Microsoft’s store, cloud, and gaming solutions pale compared to third party solutions aimed at normal consumers. Both Google and Apple have hugely superior cloud systems or AI support and both have perfectly acceptable office solutions. They also have a full blown ecosystem of apps that work better on mobile and pc together, and it’s all cloud based.

I never thought I’d say this but if not for Direct X support I’d stop using a Windows computer entirely. Windows is doing nothing for consumers and that’s fine. They’re laser focused and highly profitable now. But they’re going to lose a lot of regular consumers like me along the way. They already have really. Build just proved that more than ever.

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Even the client side stuff was focused on enterprise development: Microsoft 365.
Microsoft has abandoned the consumer market all together. As someone said, they should sell XBOX to Amazon.

That would make a lot of sense honestly... hell, sell it to anyone with the money and the desire to make it work. Amazon, Apple, Google, whatever. Whomever will put in the time and effort to develop and fight for that market segment and do it right.

I really, really wish there were alternative PC gaming options out there but Direct X is literally the last shred of control keeping people from dropping Windows entirely for gaming. If not for that one thing who knows what market shifts would take place.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss