Views about Build 2018!

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Looks like MS is now really focused in what they want and they seem very confident about it... the bad news is that most of those features and innovations are not for consumer space or casual users. I think MS is getting away from consumer market every year and at the end it will only enterprise, B2B, cloud and AI products i won't be surprise if they let go and put in sale the Xbox and Surface division.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Since I'm not a developer, I'm usually pretty neutral on Build. It's not like Build isn't important, but it's also just a tiny glimpse at where the company is going. There's a truly ground breaking announcement at Build every once in a while (and the same goes for other developer conferences) so I try not to get overly hyped about it.

KeybladeSpyMaster

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site
I kinda was disappointed, but that's as a consumer. As it is a developer conference, I come into Build with a completely different perspective than the target audience. That said, I think Microsoft would do well to have an annual consumer-focused conference to showcase the products, both hardware and software, that they're working on and will soon release. They have Ignite already, and I believe that's more enterprise, so why not a consumer-focused one?

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Excited about all the cognitive services available to developers. Hard push on azure but that's to be expected and not unwelcome. Would have liked to hear more about Hololens OS plans but the two new apps are good to hear about.

slepr

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
My take is that build is for developers and not consumers like me. Like others, I get a sense that MS is becoming less general-consumer focused and am beginning to think that adromeda may never come to fruition.

anon(10458357)

May 11, 2018
Visit site
As a consumer facing developer it was a slap in the face honestly.

Microsoft needs to remember that there are two types of developers, ones that build enterprise focused apps, and ones that build consumer focused apps. Seems like Nadella and minions have completely thrown in the towel on consumer. Every single presentation was geared primarily towards the enterprise space. All of this does not bode well for the MS Store, UWP, nor for the release of a Core OS based mobile device, since all of these are heavily consumer focused.

What did Build 2018 say to companies like Fitbit, Hulu, Netflix, Spotify, Facebook, Pandora, Slack, WhatsApp, and others who have stuck with the store for a number of years now? I guess we'll see. But my guess is that more and more big name brands will leave the store. Why shouldn't they? Microsoft has all but officially abandoned the consumer space. One by one they will wake up to that reality and abandon the Microsoft ecosystem as well.

If you are a consumer focused developer my advice would be to start learning Android Studio and Java as soon as possible. The writing is clearly on the wall.

MosaicMarch

Mar 14, 2018
Visit site
If you are a consumer focused developer my advice would be to start learning Android Studio and Java as soon as possible. The writing is clearly on the wall.

Exactly! I can vitnes more and more developers moving away from MS, and not only consumer focused devs, but also enterprise. I'd say future is not bright for MS. To many bad mistakes, probably due to constant search for next big thing. Well, you had it but loose it. It's time for devs to move next, sadly...

KJW23

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site
I am curious about what do you think of Build 2018? It was good for me.

Did it live up to the expectations? Yes it was awesome.

It made me more confident to start my tech company. Why Microsoft concentrate on Emprise. My company with concentrate on Smart Home and consuming devices

Cbarnhorst

Feb 27, 2018
Visit site
You are confusing "Build 2018," the name of a developers' conference just held in Seattle, with "Windows 10 April 2018 Update," the newest version of Windows 10 and totally unrelated to "Build 2018."

Cbarnhorst

Feb 27, 2018
Visit site
I don't think consumer versus enterprise is either/or. Build 2018 focused on developers and the enterprise space that is expanding. The consumer space is not being relegated to a lesser role; that space is just quieter than the enterprise space right now. The consumer space remains robust but it is not where the headlines are. I don't have a problem with that.

The real angst seems to be about abandoned efforts like Windows Phone and Courier. Obviously, there is a fear that current initiatives may suffer the same. I think it is just as well that there is no official word about Andromeda yet because the forums would fill up with negativism based on perceived past MSFT performance before the devices hit the market.

Richard Toft

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
From a Developer perspective it was good, it outlined a good roadmap. It promoted platform agnostic development, some great new dev tools announced, design refresh and accessibility to new tools to legacy applications (which tbh is what most dev's work on), accessibility to deep learning, cognitive tools AI (Cortana) is getting smarter, more data centres and Kinnect is back :). There were hints of the future of windows (reassurance it will be around).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234