Will MS improve it's tablet mode this year ?

covfefe

Banned
Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
Skin it. Stop calling it Windows. Allow skinning of *everything*. Think custom css and js for everything if it's in html. That. Do it. Stop trying to force your UI and allow people to define the UI. It's not difficult. God damned bunch of monkey retards at Microsoft. Shake my damn head in shame and drown myself in the sink.

DRDiver

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
I don't believe they will. Windows has now taken a back seat to everything else, Nadella has made that clear. Windows 8 was by far a better tablet experience. I take my Surface Pro with me most places. I keep all my machines in Tablet Mode (well, except for my studio machine, which can't because Microsoft disables Tablet Mode when you connect a second monitor). Use my SP via touch MUCH more than not. One of the biggest issues I have with W10 is that it is user-spiteful for touch. The ridiculous use of wireframe icons are not only harder to see but much more difficult to tap on accurately. Far too much is just plain tiny. Unless you have Trump's hands, it's a challenge to do a number of things via touch in W10. But I just don't think they really care about that aspect anymore.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
yea just upgrade to 8.1

joking aside, it HAS TO. take a look at hub2 I think it shows some early but rapidly progressing work towards touch first UI/UX, if andromeda is supposed to be the next big thing, they will have to invest very heavily in touch and gestures, also hololens 2 by extension needs some kinect magic, it all points towards tablet mode being a very important focus for ms at the moment

afaik hub2 showcases how they plan to take touch to the next level, how their devices will be perfectly fitted to be used in a ton of different positions and scenarios and how it should all feel natural like working with analog tools, this will probably trickle down to all devices, see baby steps like adding depth perception hardware to laptop screens, upon further development there we could have kinect on every screen and this time coupled with actual software to make use of it, holodeck is near

DQuiLon

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
Will MS improve it's tablet mode this year ?

In my opinion, there is one Key area they should nail, before adding features and complicate further the User Experience....

I am an active user of both Desktop and Tablet mode on my Surface Book, and I keep the automatic switch turned on for when I detach, however, I have had a glitch that renders the Start Tile Menu useless which is the main hub of interaction in tablet mode.

When I switch to tablet mode, I use an app, and then return to the Start, most of my app thumbnails disappear an become solid blocks of whatever color I use as background.

This makes it impossible to select an app unless I remember every single location of them by heart, and since I have nearly 100 tiles, it is rather infuriating...

The solution is to simply tap "Tablet Mode" to turn it off (becoming regular Desktop) and then turn it on again, but this is extremely annoying, since I have to do it almost every single time.

SO, TLDR: fix graphical issues in tablet mode that turn user off. Otherwise, the tablet mode is basically useless...

Brian282

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I honestly hate tablet mode and prefer staying in desktop mode. I just hate some of the changes that they have done to tablet mode.

What would make tablet mode perfect....

1) overhaul the useless notification hamburger menu. I rarely use the notification window to look at emails, but I do use it to access settings, brightness, and so forth. Add a freaking window button. The current option in the new tablets is to touch a tiny little button in the corner of the screen. WTH. Allow me to move more crap from the taskbar to the notification menu.. Like the touch keyboard, mouse, cortana.. That way I can hide the stupid taskbar. Move the stupid power button to the notification menu or give me the option. Hell move everything from the taskbar to the notification menu. More screen real-estate thee better

2) start menu... Its worthless. Why do legacy app thumbnails have to be so tiny, and you can't fix it.. Its stupid. Desktop mode is better because the all apps is integrated and easy to scroll through. The current idea of all apps in tablet mode is horrible

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I haven't used my tablet in awhile, but I always hated the onscreen keyboard when Windows phone had word flow. It always seemed like low hanging fruit and requested a lot on the feedback hub.

A touch based file explorer would be great.

Installation and update storage usage is way too heavy for lower end devices.

The lack of meaningful updates is enough for me not to consider a windows for a future tablet.

With the VP of Windows, Joe Belfiore, demoing Office 365 development at Build, I'm not holding my breath for anything Windows that not azure related.

aXross

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
There are alot of things they have to work on.

• Swipe gesture for All Apps on Start menu/screen
  • More natural gesture to open Action Center, it needs a real sliding not a flick.
  • I think it needs to better UI for System Tray, especially for touch since its way too cramped especially on portrait orientation. It needs to move on from the same System Tray UX like we used to.
  • Not necessarily tablet specific, but we still can't open Action Center on Lock Screen/Logon Screen.
  • Windows Snap is still limited to 2 apps, while Windows 8.1 allows you to snap even 3 or more than that depending on your screen size.
  • Windows Snap needs to support portrait too. It is annoying that it only locks to landscape.
  • New Touch Keyboard is only pretty (but unpolished especially the animation), but it doesn't even feel as good as the old Windows 8.X Touch Keyboard. Also Why Microsoft kept SwiftKey and WordFlow keyboard seperate?
  • They could've at least redesign the File Explorer UI and make it better for touch without having to wait for UWP version to mature.
  • Forget My People on tablet mode, it is garbage really. Though this is more of a problem of My People than a tablet mode in general.
  • I think it needs different gesture to open a Timeline+Task View like five finger pinch gesture. Sliding from the left edge should switch from one recent app like how WIndows 8.X used to do. Now iOS and upcoming Android release have similar feature as Windows 8.X that Microsoft keeps avoiding.

This is the things that they can improve that I can think of for now.

Microsoft knows how to make a better touch environment, but somehow it feels like they are not doing it despite their capability. They don't have to literally copy the Windows 8.X UX, but borrow good things from it and even to other platforms too. No need to have horizontal scrolling for example, but the gestures were more natural on Windows 8.X than on Windows 10 that is more like a flick gesture than actually following physics. Fluent Design System part of its design philosophies is to follow physical attributes and behaviours to make a better User Experience, but not aesthetics which is why its not really Skeumorphism.

adeski

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
windows hello sign in doesn't work very well when in portrait mode. Also lots of icons are left blank when you switch modes. it's just buggy. No one has fixed it. Amazon haven't got a proper app on a par with iOS or Android, so you can't use their crappy Windows version to read magazines.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99