what android phone is similar to Lumia 1520

Status
Not open for further replies.

saqib qureshi

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for an android in similar physical dimensions as the Lumia 1520. 6 inch or large that is wide (as opposed to the slim narrow trend).
I like a stand-out Phone. My red 1520 constantly gets noticed on its physical beauty, body material, rectangle/sharp Edge look without a case. Any suggestions ?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It hasn't received an actual OS update in quite a while. "Security" updates are pointless for a platform that will never be targeted. Even the browser hasn't been updated in a long time and never will again. That isn't support in my book.

Every Android phone gets much better support through Play Services. Actual API updates and new features come to every Android phone running at least 4.0 ICS.
You didn't write the "book". So I/others don't need to worry about what's supported in your "book" or not.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
You can pick an overpriced 6'' phone, there's a dozen of em now, but as said, nothing will come close to the 1520. Im in the same boat as you - had my 1520 for 4 years or so now. It still works pretty well, a few scratches and the screen is giving me some problems (because I had it replaced with some "cheap" part), but it's still zippy. I'm looking at some other phones, and I realize that for ~400€ (which is how much I paid for the 1520 at the time), not only can you NOT find a better phone, you can't even find one that's as good. I personally have no plans to throw nearly 1000€ down the drain for a phone that is barely better if at all, so I'm still waiting for something good. I suggest the same to you. And you'll know it when you see it, just like with the 1520, even when I heard the first rumors about the so called Bandit, and the first leaked pictures, I had a feeling that thing will be sick.
If you don't wanna do that, just pick any crappy Android, they're almost all the same.
SG9+ or the newest Note (whichever one it is) is your safest bet, though you can save a lot of money with a Nokia or a OnePlus. Not impressed with LG, and the Blackberry which someone mentioned - only go for it if you're really into that kind of thing. As for Huawei, their phones are kinda cool and cheap-ish, but the OS is dog-poop and the support is questionable.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you. I have the Galaxy Note 8 but I am not a fan of the taller and thinner movement going on with phones these days. Why people are still suggesting the S8 or 9 or the Note when you clearly stated you don't want a taller thinner phone is beyond me. The problem is you really don't have many choices.

I too had a 1520 and it was my favorite phone of all time. If you want a 6 inch screen that has the 16:9 ratio of the 1520, the Sony XA2 Ultra is really the only current choice. It is mid range and the camera is disappointing. Trust me, I came close to getting rid of my Note for the XA2 Ultra because the Samsung bloat drives me insane and I love the 16:9 of the screen. But the camera and mid level specs scared me off...for now. But, every single day, the combination of Android and the Samsung bloat that pops up all the time makes my blood boil and I am looking and waiting for somewhere else to go. If Sony would just release the XA2 Ultra with high end specs and a respectable camera, I would gladly jump ship.

Either way, not many options at the moment. Please update us on where you end up as I would love to see what other options there are or there may be in the near future.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you. I have the Galaxy Note 8 but I am not a fan of the taller and thinner movement going on with phones these days. Why people are still suggesting the S8 or 9 or the Note when you clearly stated you don't want a taller thinner phone is beyond me. The problem is you really don't have many choices.

I too had a 1520 and it was my favorite phone of all time. If you want a 6 inch screen that has the 16:9 ratio of the 1520, the Sony XA2 Ultra is really the only current choice. It is mid range and the camera is disappointing. Trust me, I came close to getting rid of my Note for the XA2 Ultra because the Samsung bloat drives me insane and I love the 16:9 of the screen. But the camera and mid level specs scared me off...for now. But, every single day, the combination of Android and the Samsung bloat that pops up all the time makes my blood boil and I am looking and waiting for somewhere else to go. If Sony would just release the XA2 Ultra with high end specs and a respectable camera, I would gladly jump ship.

Either way, not many options at the moment. Please update us on where you end up as I would love to see what other options there are or there may be in the near future.

The XA2 Plus was released, 18:9 6" screen but slimmer a bit and few other noticeable changes. Maybe the closest thing to it if you are into Xperia is the XZ2 premium but it costs 1k. 16:9 with a 5.8 in screen and a kickin camera. Again if you are into Xperia/Android and willing to flip a house payment into one the XZ2 Premium might fit the mold....GSMArena

Inaam Ashraf

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking for an android in similar physical dimensions as the Lumia 1520. 6 inch or large that is wide (as opposed to the slim narrow trend).
I like a stand-out Phone. My red 1520 constantly gets noticed on its physical beauty, body material, rectangle/sharp Edge look without a case. Any suggestions ?

Sony launched 'Sony Xperia XA2 Plus' yesterday!

In terms of looks, it is the closest match from my perpective:

sony_xperia_xa2_plus_2.jpg

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

I also still sport a lumia 1520. I still like the camera and the huge screen and wireless charging. The large screen is joy te read.
For me the 950XL has been a pleasant follow-up, but I still enjoy daily reading from the 6inch 1520. The camera is still great too.

I agree the bloatware is a concerning issue, something I have never had to worry about on a windows phone device. I don't want an need the wary hastle of constantly having to think about saftey and secruity and just be able to enjoy the device and hardware. But it's hard to let go of the OS and live tiles. Even after tring andriod and iPhone iOS I still prefer the live tiles. Get in, get out done. pin live tiles, awesome. A pity microsoft let this go. They can do so much more with this.

I currently find myself focussed on focussing more on devices that continue to support wireless charging and better camera's. The P20 pro strikes a cord with me because it feels like the spiritual successor of the 1020, only wishing it had windows 10 mobile. Microsoft could still do good by simply investing a stake in Launcher 10 e.a. perhaps integrating it with microsoft laucher for android. I think that would make a great case to close the whole windows phone debacle.

jonahtrav

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I would take a look at the Huawei Mate 10, you'll need to order one off Amazon ... not the pro 10... If you can get over the android skin it has on it ...I think you would be pleased with it .

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Again if you are into Xperia/Android and willing to flip a house payment into one the XZ2 Premium might fit the mold....
I don't know what ZIP code they're in but a house payment in Miami doesn't go below 2k per month. And that's for a 3/1 or a smallish 3/2 in a questionable 'hood. For the first time in my lifetime it's substantially cheaper to own than rent. Cray-cray!!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I don't know what ZIP code they're in but a house payment in Miami doesn't go below 2k per month. And that's for a 3/1 or a smallish 3/2 in a questionable 'hood. For the first time in my lifetime it's substantially cheaper to own than rent. Cray-cray!!
True. In most places 1k is probably not even close. I should have used a better example... It would be nice if there were economic uniformity in the US at least for housing but then it would be a reality.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
XZ2 Premium looks great and I would already be making plans to get it if it was 6 inches. Same with the XA2 Plus. I went from the 1520 to the 950XL and then the Note 8.as much as I'm dying to get away from all of Samsung crap and have a 16:9 ratio, I won't spend a grand on it unless it's 6 inches at this point. They were sooo close to having a new customer too. Ugh!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
XZ2 Premium looks great and I would already be making plans to get it if it was 6 inches. Same with the XA2 Plus. I went from the 1520 to the 950XL and then the Note 8.as much as I'm dying to get away from all of Samsung crap and have a 16:9 ratio, I won't spend a grand on it unless it's 6 inches at this point. They were sooo close to having a new customer too. Ugh!

I know really. .2 in more and they have a 6 in LCD. Wonder why they chose 5.8?

Although 5.8 at 16:9 is a nice size. I like the 950 XL size, for me is the middle ground of screen sizes. Too I am kinda interested to see what this device will do, but I have never owned an Xperia. I have held and used them briefly at BestBuy but that is it.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
It's definitely a good size and I'm sure I would be fine with it. I got used to the 950XL so it would be OK. Problem is that I'm not looking to spend 1000 bucks on something that I would be "fine with". It checks all the other boxes except for the camera doesn't have OIS which seems to be a pattern with Sony smartphones. I will be interested to see the reviews on the camera more than the phone. I mean it's a high end phone, you kinda know what you're getting. The camera is the wild card here. Nice looking phone though.

The thing is, I get the feeling that 16:9 phones will be gone in a year or 2 at the most. At least on the high end. Which means this these skinny screen phones will be the only real option. I still don't understand how a phone, especially 1 like the Note that has a pen, is being made taller and thinner. Seems counterproductive to using a pen and doing anything productivity related. I don't know.

Brickset

Jul 14, 2018
Visit site
If you are looking for a high-end phone, the Xperia XZ2 Premium is the closest thing to a Lumia 1520. It's big and has a 16:9 screen. Other than that, all high-end phones come with tall screens. If you're willing to give it a try and want something that really stands out, I think the HTC U12+ or LG V35 are your best bet.

Szymon Bakalarczyk

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
If you are looking for a high-end phone, the Xperia XZ2 Premium is the closest thing to a Lumia 1520. It's big and has a 16:9 screen. Other than that, all high-end phones come with tall screens. If you're willing to give it a try and want something that really stands out, I think the HTC U12+ or LG V35 are your best bet.
I think also lg v30 and xiaomi mi mix 2s are worth considering. Both cost around 450-500€, have decent cameras, battery life and support wireless charging. You can install on them Nokia camera app which is a clone of Lumia camera ui. I think it's not worth to pay 200€+ more for phones which have only advantage in sd845 instead of sd835.

saqib qureshi

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: If anyone still GAF, I did buy the Xiaomi Mi Mix 6.4 in screen. This is the first gen, not the Mi Mix 2, particularly because they made the newer one a bit smaller and rounded the corners...I'm Just kinda picky on that. This MiMix is literally the same size as the 1520 in physical dimensions - see picture, its a pretty sweet looking phone, great large screen. Apparently the camera isn't great, however everything ive tested so far it is good. I really do miss the camera roll in WP interface, also am missing the living photos in the Lumias.
I'm using Launcher 10, purchased the live tile function...I'm pretty impressed with it, like it more than squarehome2. No clue what happens with my data privacy though by giving permissions for live tiles, but I guess I'll live with it.
***I'm still playing with this on WiFi right now, cant make myself fully let go of the 1520, with twitter and uber still working I think I'm still okay with WP.

photo5062510095786682370 (1).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss