what android phone is similar to Lumia 1520

Status
Not open for further replies.

saqib qureshi

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for an android in similar physical dimensions as the Lumia 1520. 6 inch or large that is wide (as opposed to the slim narrow trend).
I like a stand-out Phone. My red 1520 constantly gets noticed on its physical beauty, body material, rectangle/sharp Edge look without a case. Any suggestions ?

saqib qureshi

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The Xiaomi MI Mix (6.4 inch) really catches my eye, but it's dated. Thanks jakoh, I am leaning towards the Huawei P20 pro to get those dimensions. Sony XA2 ultra also looks better with right angle corners, but apparently its low-end.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The Sony XA2 Ultra is the closest you'll get dimensionally and it's available in some nice colors (the gold is gaudy as hell, it'll stand out). It's a good mid-range phone with excellent battery life and a very bright display. However, the camera seriously disappoints. You'll miss the PureView in an instant. I returned one I bought for no other reason than the awful camera. It's got full manual control so if you're more than a point-and-shoot guy like me you may be able to make it work.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I've played with the gold XA2 and it is 'gaudy' lol. Anyways, I haven't had the privilege to test out the 1520, but the XA2 felt sluggish. Maybe that was just down to the device I was playing with.

I'd suggest the S8 or S9. The camera's are pretty decent :) Definitely fluid for everyday tasks. I strongly dislike the Samsung skin, but that's just me. You can install a launcher xd

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I had the Sony XA Ultra.
Phone was ok and just right for me even though hardware was dated.

Have the XA2 Ultra now.
It's my go-to phone currently.
A bit pricey for what you get.

saqib qureshi

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to both who suggested the XA ultra. I like the dimensions, but really not looking for a "mid-range" phone. As a WP user, I'm likely to hold onto a phone for a long time so I want to get the best I can...Have also been spoiled by having great cameras.

I wish the XZ2 Premium would have had the same dimensions as the XA Ultra, but it looks like its gonna be more like a Galaxy s9+ elongated shape (yuck)

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
thanks. Now that Uber is working again (as a PWA) I can keep my 1520 until "the next big thing", I'm wondering what the Note 9 looks like, and possibly hold out until 2019.
That's good because there is no other phone like the 1520 in my opinion. One of the first true phablets of its time. I believe it's the only phablet of its time still getting regular OS updates too. 5yrs now and still trucking...

bleached

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
That's good because there is no other phone like the 1520 in my opinion. One of the first true phablets of its time. I believe it's the only phablet of its time still getting regular OS updates too. 5yrs now and still trucking...

It hasn't received an actual OS update in quite a while. "Security" updates are pointless for a platform that will never be targeted. Even the browser hasn't been updated in a long time and never will again. That isn't support in my book.

Every Android phone gets much better support through Play Services. Actual API updates and new features come to every Android phone running at least 4.0 ICS.

taynjack

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
I hear you on the wider screen. I had a 640xl that I just loved. I switched to a oneplus5t a few months ago. Now when I go back to my Lumia, it just feels bulky. The extra width seems harder to hold in comparison. I like the way the slimmer phone holds in my hand and it nearly disappears in my pocket. Things I can't say about my Lumia. That said, I really miss W10M. I used Cortana all the time on my Lumia. It just doesn't work as well on Android. Jumps to the internet where it used to perform functions.

Phillip Strauss

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm looking for an android in similar physical dimensions as the Lumia 1520. 6 inch or large that is wide (as opposed to the slim narrow trend).
I like a stand-out Phone. My red 1520 constantly gets noticed on its physical beauty, body material, rectangle/sharp Edge look without a case. Any suggestions ?

I don't want to move from one loosing platform to another loosing one. I am saving for the SONY XZ2 Premium (16:9 display)

I switched back from L950xlds to L640xlds (cyan colour) due to crashing all the time. Did replace with a new battery but no joy. I had the L1520 in yellow.

Scott McBurney

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I just got the Galaxy S9+ last night, to slowly replace my Lumia 950 (i'm actually going to get another line on my account and keep the 950 running). It is as wide as a 950, but taller.

If you want something bigger, you probably want a galaxy note.

dsharp75

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Let's be clear, Android no matter how "mature" is no Windows Mobile. It's slow and a hog. There is no phone that will replace arguably the best Windows Phone ever, the Nokia 1520. Ridiculously ahead of its time, awesome specs all around, sales so so because that's what pioneers face. I got one on day one and never looked back. People though I was crazy with a 6 inch phone in a world a 3 and half to 5 inch ones. Now look at the world. Its hard being ahead of the curve.
I currently use a Blu Studio XL 2. Its an unlocked 6 inch phone that's no 1520, but ok enough not to suck.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12