Best Windows Phone launcher for Android?

saqib qureshi

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I still havent jumped ship, but I see a couple windows phone launchers, like Square Home. Is there a particular one people have used long-term?

I like the ability to hold a large phone with one hand and scroll for apps with an up and down flick (not side swipes, but up and down) .

I prefer metro style, of course.
Are they stable? Are you giving away too many permissions to shady developers?

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I've been using the paid version of square home 2 and like it. The initial setup is time consuming due to all the options. I've always wanted to try Launcher 10, but never got around to it.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I tried using a launcher to recreate the Windows Phone look on Android. But then I realised I had an Android phone, not a Windows one, and it was time to move on. Furthermore, none of the so called Windows 10 launchers accurately recreated the launcher experience of an actual Windows Phone. So, if you are missing that look on your current Android phone, ditch it, and go back to Windows Phone.

Scott McBurney

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I just ordered the Galaxy S9+ to replace my Lumia 950. Its a sad day. But in the long run, I will be happier. I will have to play with some of the different launchers and see what I like. I have the Microsoft launcher already on an Android tablet, but not really impressed with it, its just more of the same - android icons all over the place. Maybe launcher 10 will be better?

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I just ordered the Galaxy S9+ to replace my Lumia 950. Its a sad day. But in the long run, I will be happier. I will have to play with some of the different launchers and see what I like. I have the Microsoft launcher already on an Android tablet, but not really impressed with it, its just more of the same - android icons all over the place. Maybe launcher 10 will be better?

Good luck. My transition was horrible and I still miss very much W10M. I first went to an S8 Plus from my 950XL and now have the S9 Plus. It's frustrating and the single biggest hurdle for me is the driving experience. Cortana on W10M on the road was unique and complete. It's a sad underpowered version of her previous self on Android.

saqib qureshi

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
thanks for your answers folks. Yeah I think I'll start with Square Home 2. I understand everyone who says they don't want to re-create WP in android. But there are just some things that I really like, vertical scroll and app management on a start screen and then alphabetical list on the second screen. I've had an android and an iphone, so I know how they work. But I just like the WP too much and the fact that they are available on android, then why not use them? ...I just came back to a red Lumia 1520 purchased from ebay in December 2017 because I realized the many things I like better...I liked that much. When UBER and Twitter left then I'm forced to change. However this week Uber came back with a PWA and 3rd party twitters are still good...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's frustrating and the single biggest hurdle for me is the driving experience.

What issues are you having? I have an S8+, and I do hands free messaging while driving all the time. I don't have to touch my phone. Google Assistant does a brilliant job at it. I can also wake and unlock my phone with my voice.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
What issues are you having? I have an S8+, and I do hands free messaging while driving all the time. I don't have to touch my phone. Google Assistant does a brilliant job at it. I can also wake and unlock my phone with my voice.

Google assistant will not work for me. I do not have a car with Google Drive. When an incoming text comes in, its not automatically read to me. If I want to send a text, I cant invoke it by voice and tell it to send a text to so and so. If I want to call someone, I can't invoke it by voice and say call so and so. If you can make this happen without Google Drive, please tell me how. I've tried a bunch of 3rd party tools, Bixby, and Google assistant.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Google assistant will not work for me. I do not have a car with Google Drive. When an incoming text comes in, its not automatically read to me. If I want to send a text, I cant invoke it by voice and tell it to send a text to so and so. If I want to call someone, I can't invoke it by voice and say call so and so. If you can make this happen without Google Drive, please tell me how. I've tried a bunch of 3rd party tools, Bixby, and Google assistant.

By Google Drive, you mean Android Auto, correct? I don't have a vehicle with that either. My vehicles are older. One of them does have bluetooth, and my phone will read SMS's automatically when connected. I don't have that activated though, because it is the family van and I am never alone when I am driving it.

But Google Assistant does all the rest on its own. You need to go into Google settings and train the voice. Basically you say "OK Google" and Hey Google" a couple times. It will then wake your phone from screen off and unlock it, and it will do what you say.

I can also say (from screen off) "OK Google, read my last message" or "last 3" or something like that, and Miss Google obliges.

Does your phone have Oreo? My S8+ only got the voice wake and unlock feature with Oreo; it didn't work with Nougat.

You can also install the Android Auto app on your phone. You don't need it in your vehicle to work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss