I just bought a Dell G7 and it came with 1 year free of McAfee. I usually avoid both like the plague but I do have some recent experience with Dell since I got an All on 1 for free to review and liked it so I figured between price and the fact it is the only laptop with the 1060 Max Q under $1,000 I will get this laptop. Probably need to add a HDD since the 256GB SSD ( SATA meh ) is to small for me and gaming. Anyways I thought ill ask for thoughts on McAfee since it is a free year. Do have about 7 months left of AVG premium or whatever I also got for free.
    08-08-2018 02:26 PM
    My experience with both the consumer and enterprise versions of McAfee is that it's a memory intensive application, and the more RAM your device has, the more it will take.

Following best practices of using a non-admin account for regular use, ad blockers for your browsers, and regular updates of all software on your machine along with the built-in Windows Defender is likely going to give you a much better experience.

Overall, we're sort of in the same space with Antivirus that we were with firewalls before XP, when you needed a third-party tool. Once Microsoft added a firewall, the need for third-party ones dropped to nothing at the workstation side.
    realwarder and HeyCori like this.
    08-09-2018 09:19 AM
    My experience with both the consumer and enterprise versions of McAfee is that it's a memory intensive application, and the more RAM your device has, the more it will take.

Following best practices of using a non-admin account for regular use, ad blockers for your browsers, and regular updates of all software on your machine along with the built-in Windows Defender is likely going to give you a much better experience.

Overall, we're sort of in the same space with Antivirus that we were with firewalls before XP, when you needed a third-party tool. Once Microsoft added a firewall, the need for third-party ones dropped to nothing at the workstation side.
    Second this. Edge with an Ad blocker Extension (like ublock origin) with Windows Defender is very good protection these days.

We have McAfee on some server installs and it eats memory. No idea why but it does. To the point of impacting other applications.
    08-09-2018 03:22 PM
    Second this. Edge with an Ad blocker Extension (like ublock origin) with Windows Defender is very good protection these days.

We have McAfee on some server installs and it eats memory. No idea why but it does. To the point of impacting other applications.
    Eh rather have a third party solution
    08-09-2018 07:22 PM
    I wouldn't give McAfee or Norton a dime.
    08-09-2018 07:52 PM
    I wouldn't give McAfee or Norton a dime.
    McAfee was free with my purchase for a year. I also got AVG for free for a year.
    08-09-2018 07:59 PM
    Eh rather have a third party solution
    Third-party solutions have been found to open even larger security issues. Consider just how deep into the kernel AV applications have to put hooks. McAfee, Symantec, and many other third-party AV suites have all had vulnerabilities discovered that could an attacker full kernel access.
    08-13-2018 06:30 AM
    Conclusion, stick to windows defender.
    rthonpm likes this.
    08-13-2018 09:53 AM
    Conclusion, stick to windows defender.
    And yet I’m not going to . As many issues you find with third party the same can be said with defender
    08-13-2018 08:02 PM