Five years after buying Nokia, what do you feel about Windows phone

Raghunath Waltz

Mar 4, 2018
Visit site
Hello guys!
I came to know recently that the Nokia deal happened 5 years ago during this part of the year. What do you feel about this? What could have been done and what not?

(Yeah I know lot has been talked about this topic but let's go down this memory lane again)

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Should have posted this in Ask Dan. He's always enthusiastic about revisiting this question :wink:

Short answer, I'm disappointed MS first bungled and then abandoned their mobile plan shortly after gaining traction with WP 8.1. They will probably regret it in the long term as they underestimated the short term impact of no-mobile vs. a bridge strategy to a "game-changing" mobile device/experience and they overestimated their ability to deliver the latter.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I just purchased a new 950xl off ebay the other day to replace my ailing Idol 4S which was my secondary phone. For the price, its a good deal. So, there's still some crazies like myself out there unwilling to use the leading platforms. I'm fed up with Android, so my V20 will become a secondary phone for specific apps I use occasionally that are not available on W10M. I wish MS stayed in the mobile game and I'm hopeful they will try again. I think the rush to W10M from 8.1 was unnecessary. I get the 1 OS to rule them all theory, but if the mobile hardware is not ready, just wait til it is, rather than forcing half baked W10M and continuum. Anyway, I'll stick with W10M until it doesnt work anymore and hopefully there will be a third platform to choose by then.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I only moved to Windows Phones because they bought Nokia. I was a Nokia fan first. If Apple or Google acquired them, I'd be there...and probably better off...

MS screwed it up. Nokia rested on their laurels. They had experience with mobile devices and Nokia ruled the phone world in 2007. Yet here we are.

But....could they make a comeback???

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey @vEEP pEEP I followed Nokia too to Windows Phone... I've stayed thus far though

Kinda neat to see websites finally turning into webapps and quite functional at that! can use webapp for my banking, airline check in, city street parking, recently discovered plugshare.com is pretty good on mobile edge! For finding charging stations while out and about!

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey @vEEP pEEP I followed Nokia too to Windows Phone... I've stayed thus far though

Kinda neat to see websites finally turning into webapps and quite functional at that! can use webapp for my banking, airline check in, city street parking, recently discovered plugshare.com is pretty good on mobile edge! For finding charging stations while out and about!

Thank you for informing us about plugshare.com on Windows Phone Mobile Edge. I was surprised how many charging stations are near me. Very useful webapp.

What banking, airline check in, and city street parking webapps do you use on Windows Phone Mobile Edge?

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Late 2012 to late 2014 were my good, but short, times w/Windows phone running 8.0 / 8.1. After that it became a predictable downward spiral.

So although a part of me is sad it went the way it did we're pretty much over entertaining the thought it'll ever be a "thing" again. Even if MS did gave it another go, pretty positive I'd refrain from giving them the time of day ever again as way too many bridges were burnt over the course.

Nope, we'll stick with were we are at firing up one of our Windows Phones just to remind us of what shouldn't be done.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for informing us about plugshare.com on Windows Phone Mobile Edge. I was surprised how many charging stations are near me. Very useful webapp.

What banking, airline check in, and city street parking webapps do you use on Windows Phone Mobile Edge?

Honestly I'm fuzzy on the webapp term or mobile website, but either way, they are good to use on my windows phones.

Parking
My city uses m.paybyphone.com
I've been in Montreal that uses https://www.pservicemobile.com/park/#zoneEntry

I fly AirCanada mostly and the site just seems autoformatted for my phone nicely, requisite fields are vertically stacked.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home.html

I use TD bank but I need to be in Desktop mode before it renders the page for my easyweb login

I use linkedin a lot actually, but it could use more work as they did think mobile but not that small mobile :) More like mobile touch interface tablet :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes