Can I use a simple old-school type remote on a Media Center PC?

YaSo

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
I would like a simple remote that would emulate keyboard presses or windows commands to my Win 7 PC, to control Play/Pause, FF/Rewind and Volume.

I thought of getting an older Apple TV Remote or something similar, and an IR receiver for the PC for around 15 bucks each, but how do I convert the remote signals to the proper keyboard presses?

Is there some kind of simple software that I can use to have the PC 'learn' the commands of a remote and have that perform a PC function? Like to point the remote at the sensor, hit the remote button, and then tell the software to type 'this' key when that signal comes in? Something tells me this has been solved years ago but I can't find out how to do it.

Thanks, Steve

YaSo

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
(SOLVED) After considering using a Raspberry Pi to do this, I found a $23 dollar USB dongle called Flirc that seems to do what I need. It is supposed to come with Win/Mac/Linux software and let you program any remote input to do various PC functions, like using an old DVD remote to control Kodi or a Harmony remote to control iTunes. Ordering one to see if it does the trick, but years of reviews seem to suggest it will work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3