Mac user conundrum

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have been a Mac user for the past 13 years or so. My last Windows laptop was running XP I think.

My current laptop is a Macbook Pro 15" 2012. I love this laptop but it gets super hot and its starting to lag with Mojave installed.

I mainly use Chrome and Excel. I also create PDF's with Preview annotated.

I lug this laptop to and from work. At home it gets the normal personal use Youtube, Netflix etc.

Since it is getting very hot and battery life sucks with Chrome (I don't like safari that much because gmail its apps aren't as fluid on safari as they are on Chrome).

I am very much tempted to swtich to Windows 10. The Huawei Matebook X Pro looks very good!

Now, in all honesty, I haven't had one crash with my Macbook Pro. Never an issue (software wise, hardware the screen, keyboard and battery have been replaced most with Apple Care covered).

The thing that keeps me from switching is the reports like the recent update to Windows 10 wiping out users documents and home folders. I just found out the BSOD is still a thing! And that some updates can really eat up time!

I hate the new Macbook Pro's. I don't like the keyboard. I don't like the touch bar. And they still get hot with the aluminum chasis.

Any thoughts?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! I don't have much time right now to go in depth of a reply, but I do have a counter question....how much are you planning on spending on a new laptop?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Ok. So BSODs are usually hardware issues. They are less common these days than with say XP. I think RAM was the larger culprit, and with a budget of 3k, both RAM and storage should not cause those issues.

The wiping of user data on the update would not really affect you since you are setting up a new PC. That bug wasn't widespread. I took that update and I lost nothing.

officelurker

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Ok. So BSODs are usually hardware issues. They are less common these days than with say XP. I think RAM was the larger culprit, and with a budget of 3k, both RAM and storage should not cause those issues.

The wiping of user data on the update would not really affect you since you are setting up a new PC. That bug wasn't widespread. I took that update and I lost nothing.

Okay. So what do you suggest I do? Is there a laptop you love or that is money in the bank good?

gnirkatto

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I changed from PC to Mac a year ago - and recently back to a W10 Notebook.
The ONLY reason was that I will be working on a professional project with other people who use PCs exclusively, so I had to join them to be fully compatible, and because I still can handle MS Office & Excel & VBA more intuitively after ~30 years on Windows.

If that was not the case, I would have never ever given away my Mac, and I am definitely planning to buy me another one, once this project is over in 1 or 2 years.

The Mac experience is so very much smoother and more fluid, than anything that happens on an even very well equipped PC.

Of course a PC is more "open", and you can do more, and more "freely", than on a Mac. Providing you know how and where to dig to find it.

On the Mac, digging deep is normally not needed (if you do just "regular" stuff), and everything works fine, until you have to "fix" things, then it might be more difficult or maybe even not possible, compared to the PC. But I'm not even sure about that, and I might only be lacking sufficient Mac skills.

I had a Macbook Pro 15", late 2016, and didn't like the keyboard in the beginning, but got used to it quickly. If you are concerned about heat problems with the 2018 models, I recommend to try to get a 2017 model, which should be cheaper by now, almost equally good, and some say that the keyboard was improved over the older models.

I didn't linke the touch bar either, but decided only to use it when no other option was available, which was, in most cases.

So if you do not need a PC for really serious reasons, as a long term Mac user, and as long as you are ok with your current level of Mac skills, I would think twice before changing platforms. You MIGHT get disappointed, even frustrated sometimes.

And as we are in a Windows forum, I'm prepared to take some heat for what I wrote, but that's OK. I personally can't wait to get a Mac back as my main computer.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I used to be a laptop user (Normally running in tandem with a desktop, then I bought the original Surface Pro, then a Surface Pro 3 and a Surface Pro 4 i7 with 256gb SSD and 8g memory (My current PC).

I use this with the docking station, I currently have the following plugged in, 28 inch monitor, desktop speakers, web cam, desktop microphone, full size MS keyboard and mouse, portable 1tb portable hard drive (Got to admit I just use OneDrive) and LAN network connection.

My wife has another docking station in her craft room and plugs in my old SP3 up there, when I am away she can plug into mine and use all the same devices.

Yet with one plug pulled out it is a superb tablet, I can choose to switch between tablet and desktop mode, I have the pen magnetically docked at all times, I slip it in to its case and chuck it in the top box of my motorcycle and set off for four days work in London, I normally carry the standard keyboard, but to be very honest very rarely use it as a laptop. I tend to use it to do the usual Web, email, watch Netflix etc.

You can easily use any BT or wireless keyboard and mouse set ups without the docking station, just plug the dongle into the USB port.

Worth considering a Surface Pro unless you have an desire or need to sit the "Laptop" on your lap, this is the one area the Surface Pro's fall down (In my opinion) yet MS do the Surface Book if you need this.

I have only seen one BSD in the last several years and that is looking after 3 surfaces (Yes the original SP is still going strong as my grown up lads tablet PC), as far as I am concerned W10 is super stable, I had no issues going to the latest update.

Not saying a Surface is what you need, we are all different, but worth considering especially if "Lugging" is an issue.

officelurker

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I changed from PC to Mac a year ago - and recently back to a W10 Notebook.
The ONLY reason was that I will be working on a professional project with other people who use PCs exclusively, so I had to join them to be fully compatible, and because I still can handle MS Office & Excel & VBA more intuitively after ~30 years on Windows.

If that was not the case, I would have never ever given away my Mac, and I am definitely planning to buy me another one, once this project is over in 1 or 2 years.

The Mac experience is so very much smoother and more fluid, than anything that happens on an even very well equipped PC.

Of course a PC is more "open", and you can do more, and more "freely", than on a Mac. Providing you know how and where to dig to find it.

On the Mac, digging deep is normally not needed (if you do just "regular" stuff), and everything works fine, until you have to "fix" things, then it might be more difficult or maybe even not possible, compared to the PC. But I'm not even sure about that, and I might only be lacking sufficient Mac skills.

I had a Macbook Pro 15", late 2016, and didn't like the keyboard in the beginning, but got used to it quickly. If you are concerned about heat problems with the 2018 models, I recommend to try to get a 2017 model, which should be cheaper by now, almost equally good, and some say that the keyboard was improved over the older models.

I didn't linke the touch bar either, but decided only to use it when no other option was available, which was, in most cases.

So if you do not need a PC for really serious reasons, as a long term Mac user, and as long as you are ok with your current level of Mac skills, I would think twice before changing platforms. You MIGHT get disappointed, even frustrated sometimes.

And as we are in a Windows forum, I'm prepared to take some heat for what I wrote, but that's OK. I personally can't wait to get a Mac back as my main computer.

I appreciate your honest response. Gives me a lot to think about.

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Not Shure is there is a Microsoft store near you, however if there is one I recommend going there and trying out the surface laptop and surface book in person. Its always better to try tech in person, good luck on you laptop search. Al

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to slide in here and say that if you have a mid-2012 model, a battery replacement and clean install of macOS would probably do wonders for your Mac since the 2012 model is still very competent today.

And if you have a traditional spinning hard drive, switching that out for an SSD will be a night-and-day experience. I just sold my 15" mid-2012 MBP this past summer because I felt it was overkill for the workload I was throwing at it.

officelurker

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I just wanted to slide in here and say that if you have a mid-2012 model, a battery replacement and clean install of macOS would probably do wonders for your Mac since the 2012 model is still very competent today.

And if you have a traditional spinning hard drive, switching that out for an SSD will be a night-and-day experience. I just sold my 15" mid-2012 MBP this past summer because I felt it was overkill for the workload I was throwing at it.

Out of curiosity did you another Mac?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Out of curiosity did you another Mac?

Since then I used my 2008/9 ThinkPad as a daily with chief shortcomings being middling streaming video playback performance and utter lack of graphics oomph. A desktop entered the picture which ended up rendering much of the performance I originally bought the 15" one for moot.

A few months later, I just finished switching from that T400 (Windows 10) to a 2015 MacBook Air.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa