Onedrive file corrupted after sudden laptop crash.

Sertan

Oct 20, 2018
Visit site
I'm using excel 365, an excel file is sitting open. I had ctrl+s saved the file after an edit.
It was just sitting open like that because i'm staring at the data. Then suddenly my laptop crashes, no blue screen, the laptop has instantly switched off.
When i rebooted, the first thing i did was launch excel. It showed me a restore version of the file, which it could not open as it appeared to be corrupted. Then i wanted to open the file on my local onedrive folder, and that said corrupted as well.

I don't understand how this can happen, was excel saving the file while there was nothing to be saved or any edits being made when the crash occurred? Why is my onedrive file affected by this?

Was it uploading the saved file as the crash occurred? Surely the onedrive server would not overwrite the online file during the upload without having received the entire file, right? A mere connection interruption would leave the file half overwritten and unusable.

How is it possible that i am left with a corrupted file on both my laptop and on onedrive after such a crash?
Did the crash corrupt my file and upon rebooting onedrive uploaded the corrupted file to overwrite the perfectly fine one?

How ridiculous would that be ?

EDIT: My crash log timestamp reads 20:19:01 and the file's last "modified date" column in explorer reads 20:20. So i'm guessing the corrupted file was overwritten to onedrive after the reboot...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720