SSL Errors across the board in Windows 10 - Malwarebytes?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

God bless anyone who can help me with this one...

About 9 days now that Ive had connectivity problems on my windows 10 laptop. After a myriad of troubleshooting turned up nothing, I finally pinpointed the issue as an SSL error. HTTP sites work fine, HTTPS do not. Some apps fall into the former category (FB Messenger works fine), some do not (Netflix, Whatsapp Web). Furthermore, using SSLUnblocker allows me to access any secure site without issue. Ive confirmed the following:

--Date and Time are fine (synced to web etc etc)
--SSL Certs in Internet Options have been reset
--Browser independant, but ive still reset all browsers just to be safe
--Disabling Firewall or Antivirus does nothing
--Flushdns, Winsock, Netsh Commands do nothing (Feel free to reccomend incase ive missed some, but ive tried dozens)
--Host File editing or deletion has no effect
--Static DNS (8888,8844) likewise has no effect; SSL 3.0 is innefective
--Disabling or removing VPN adapters does nothing; LAN is not proxy dependant

Im sure there are some other things im missing here that ive already tried, but to be certain, I uninstalled some different software early on in troubleshooting this, including Avast and Malwarebytes. I decided to reinstall them to experiment in a few different ways, tinkering with Avasts SSL Scanning, and checking for malware once more (I checked several times towards the beginning). Doing this has given me my second break in cracking this thing; while running a scan in Malwarebytes, during the 3-4minutes the scan takes, I suddenly have full web access - including both browser and apps.

I feel like Im loosing my mind over this. Malwarebytes consistently turns up nothing, but - and perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me at this point - I vaguely remember the start of whole issue coinciding with the end of my Malwarebytes premium trial. Could this be something Malwarebytes isnt detecting? Could Malwarebytes itself have corrupted some setting on my system, something it would have left behind even after id uninstalled it completely up till now?

Last edited by a moderator:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a few questions but before that have you tried a different router and also did you install any cumulative updates?

1. Do you have any packet tracking tools - Like Cisco's Packet tracer or anything that enables you to scan network traffic in detail?
  2. What about the trace route command?
  3. Tried running sysinternals process monitor https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon?
  4. Have you tried other solutions like Hitman Pro (cloud based A/V scanner) and the now defunct trend Micro's housecall?
  5. Have you checked the services and component services? (you most likely will need to enable the hidden admin account to mess with the component services - although be weary you could hose up your install lol).

There is a defunct install cleaning tool called Windows Installer Cleanup (latest version is 7.2 if I recall correctly but it no longer runs for me so your mileage may vary).

Beyond these I'm all out of suggestions at present.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb