How can I fix a Pixelsense coffee table?

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
re:

I had no idea what you were talking about UNTIL I found this blog.....

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-pixelsense-table

I would imagine it can be fixed, but you probably need computer repair skills. Have you ever built your own PC? If not you might have to take it to a repair place, keeping in mind this thing was never very popular, so finding a reasonably priced repair might be difficult.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
re:

Thanks a lot the pc inside was removed so I was wondering if u can get a normaal pc to replace

Maybe, but that device had a custom version of Windows Vista, I believe. I’m not sure if a regular PC can work with the display. Have you looked inside? Is there a connection cable for the tabletop screen? Is it a regular HDMI, Display Port OR DVI cable? Or VGA? You might have issues with the touchable display with a modern PC also.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

lonnyb23

Dec 3, 2018
Visit site
re:

im about to post some pics maybe that will help

Attachments

• coffee1.JPG
    coffee1.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • coffee2.JPG
    coffee2.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • coffee3.jpg
    coffee3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • coffee4.JPG
    coffee4.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 6

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
re:

@lonnyb23

Nice!

The most important question of all do you see a power cable for the screen or a/c port?

Since there are display cables, you should be able use a off the shelf motherboard or a mini atx case (presuming there is enough space in the chassis) or failing that a intel NUC.

But without being able to power up the screen, every other question is really academic lol.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Re:

I also found this: https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-on-microsoft-surface-coffee-table

As for if you can put regular PC components in it....it seems like it, however, the Motherboard form factor would come into play here. If you are going to update this, I would also consider looking at a new power supply.

This webpage looks VERY promising! I have marked it as "best answer".

IF when you get this thing up and running please let us know. Sounds like a GREAT project. :) Pictures and videos would be cool also.

lonnyb23

Dec 3, 2018
Visit site
Re:

THAnk you I’ll try my best to get it up and going but one more question from your assessment what parts do I need a pc and motherboard ? R does the motherboard comes inside the pc

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Re:

THAnk you I’ll try my best to get it up and going but one more question from your assessment what parts do I need a pc and motherboard ? R does the motherboard comes inside the pc
I'd need to see some kind of tear down pictures or a video. I'll try to remember to look when I get home tonight.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Cool! Was it cheap? It probably is just like a desktop computer case... And they probably even stuck with the standard atx form factor no?

Usually you need a motherboard, power supply, then cpu, ram, hdd/sdd... Graphics can be onboard/on cpu now.

It's hard to tell from the pictures provided, but all the cables there probably designed to connect to the motherboard ports to the table ports.

There should be a big plate the motherboard can mount into, and start finding where a power supply mounts to... Dunno hard for me to talk it through without seeing it

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
From what I have read this thing was designed for commercial purposes. To be used in restaurants, or other stores, and it had a price pretty much dictating that usage only. It retailed for 10k!

I would imagine the interior is designed to allow for computer components to be installed. The poster just above me, gave you the list of components you'll need.

lonnyb23

Dec 3, 2018
Visit site
I will post more pictures I’m learnin as I go so I appreciate the feedback from everyone I really want to get this thing working so hopefully I will soon let me know what specific pics I should post

Graafie

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site
Dear Lonnyb23,

The Surface Table has a PC in it. It has quite normal components, so yes you could build a better one than the original.
The only three things that aren't normal are:
1. The computer case, that has an od shape, but could be replaced with something smaller that fits the space offcourse.
2. The PSU has a power outlet speciffically designed for the beamer that is beaming the image to the tabletop.
3. There is an PCI card to connect the rj45 cables to that is for I think the (power to the) touch capability of the tabletop, that's done with camera's.

So yes it can be upgraded or in your case fixed to get working again, but not (easily) without the original PC unit that was in it.

Question: Did you get the original software and OS disks with it, because I need a copy, because the HDD in my unit crashed.

Greetings and happy holliday wishes from the Netherlands.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss