Hello,

I purchased some movies from the MS store. Is there any way I can watch them on my LG Smart TV? I checked apps - nothing from MS.

I also don't want to run an HDMI cable from my laptop to the TV.

I saw Plex - but it is not free. I really don't want to have to pay to watch movies I already own on another device.

Help?

Thanks,

Mr. V
    12-31-2018 09:42 PM
    If you can't find an app for it, you can try screen sharing from the laptop to the TV. Most smart TVs support this as do newer laptop and mobile devices. You won't have to use an HDMI cable to connect the two in order to watch the movies.
    fin11 likes this.
    01-02-2019 12:36 AM
    I know you don't want to pay more but an Xbox One is a good option. Everything you buy in the store will be available. Plus it's a Blu-ray player and game console.
    vEEP pEEP likes this.
    01-02-2019 02:21 PM
    I know you don't want to pay more but an Xbox One is a good option. Everything you buy in the store will be available. Plus it's a Blu-ray player and game console.
    thanks - but I do not own a Xbox....old time pc gamer!
    01-04-2019 03:07 PM
    If you can't find an app for it, you can try screen sharing from the laptop to the TV. Most smart TVs support this as do newer laptop and mobile devices. You won't have to use an HDMI cable to connect the two in order to watch the movies.
    Will give it a go!!! thanks!
    01-04-2019 03:08 PM
    Just gave it a go - using the MS Films & TV app....

The option of Cast to Device showed up

The TV was discovered!

Of course then I got...Unknown error....

Fun times!

I will do some searches see what comes up!

Thanks,

Mr. V
    01-04-2019 03:16 PM
    Just gave it a go - using the MS Films & TV app....

The option of Cast to Device showed up

The TV was discovered!

Of course then I got...Unknown error....

Fun times!

I will do some searches see what comes up!

Thanks,

Mr. V
    What I do to get my laptop to cast to the TV is as follows:

• On the TV I select the screen share input option and the TV will then wait for a connection.
    • On my laptop I click on the Notifications icon on the bottom right of the tool bar and pick the Project option.
    • The laptop will then scan for available devices and after a moment will display the TV's link.
    • I click on that link and the laptop will begin the connection process.
    • The TV will then give me a Yes/No option to allow the connection and I select Yes.

After that, anything I have on my laptop's screen is projected to the TV. So I can use any app or even just a web browser to display the content I want to see on the TV.
    01-04-2019 06:57 PM
    What I do to get my laptop to cast to the TV is as follows:

• On the TV I select the screen share input option and the TV will then wait for a connection.
    • On my laptop I click on the Notifications icon on the bottom right of the tool bar and pick the Project option.
    • The laptop will then scan for available devices and after a moment will display the TV's link.
    • I click on that link and the laptop will begin the connection process.
    • The TV will then give me a Yes/No option to allow the connection and I select Yes.

After that, anything I have on my laptop's screen is projected to the TV. So I can use any app or even just a web browser to display the content I want to see on the TV.
    Thanks...oddly it gave me an HDCP copyright error. The movie I am trying to cast is purchased under my account from MS Store!

I can screenshare using the connect setting that works.

Is that all casting does?

Thanks,

Mr. V
    01-08-2019 06:47 PM
    Thanks...oddly it gave me an HDCP copyright error. The movie I am trying to cast is purchased under my account from MS Store!

I can screenshare using the connect setting that works.

Is that all casting does?

Thanks,

Mr. V
    You can use either the Project or Connect option to use a Smart TV as a wireless monitor. I just use the Project option out of habit, but they both will do the same thing. The Project method just has a few more options as to how you want the output to be sent to the TV such as using it as a second monitor without cloning your laptop's screen.
    01-09-2019 03:38 AM
    You can use either the Project or Connect option to use a Smart TV as a wireless monitor. I just use the Project option out of habit, but they both will do the same thing. The Project method just has a few more options as to how you want the output to be sent to the TV such as using it as a second monitor without cloning your laptop's screen.
    yes, I can do that...bummer as CAST does not work - what does it do - will it pass controls (sound, pause etc) to my TV?
    01-10-2019 02:28 PM