LG TV and Microsoft Film & TV app

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I purchased some movies from the MS store. Is there any way I can watch them on my LG Smart TV? I checked apps - nothing from MS.

I also don't want to run an HDMI cable from my laptop to the TV.

I saw Plex - but it is not free. I really don't want to have to pay to watch movies I already own on another device.

Help?

Thanks,

Mr. V

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
If you can't find an app for it, you can try screen sharing from the laptop to the TV. Most smart TVs support this as do newer laptop and mobile devices. You won't have to use an HDMI cable to connect the two in order to watch the movies.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Just gave it a go - using the MS Films & TV app....

The option of Cast to Device showed up

The TV was discovered!

Of course then I got...Unknown error....

Fun times!

I will do some searches see what comes up!

Thanks,

Mr. V

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Just gave it a go - using the MS Films & TV app....

The option of Cast to Device showed up

The TV was discovered!

Of course then I got...Unknown error....

Fun times!

I will do some searches see what comes up!

Thanks,

Mr. V

What I do to get my laptop to cast to the TV is as follows:

• On the TV I select the screen share input option and the TV will then wait for a connection.
  • On my laptop I click on the Notifications icon on the bottom right of the tool bar and pick the Project option.
  • The laptop will then scan for available devices and after a moment will display the TV's link.
  • I click on that link and the laptop will begin the connection process.
  • The TV will then give me a Yes/No option to allow the connection and I select Yes.

After that, anything I have on my laptop's screen is projected to the TV. So I can use any app or even just a web browser to display the content I want to see on the TV.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
What I do to get my laptop to cast to the TV is as follows:

• On the TV I select the screen share input option and the TV will then wait for a connection.
  • On my laptop I click on the Notifications icon on the bottom right of the tool bar and pick the Project option.
  • The laptop will then scan for available devices and after a moment will display the TV's link.
  • I click on that link and the laptop will begin the connection process.
  • The TV will then give me a Yes/No option to allow the connection and I select Yes.

After that, anything I have on my laptop's screen is projected to the TV. So I can use any app or even just a web browser to display the content I want to see on the TV.

Thanks...oddly it gave me an HDCP copyright error. The movie I am trying to cast is purchased under my account from MS Store!

I can screenshare using the connect setting that works.

Is that all casting does?

Thanks,

Mr. V

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks...oddly it gave me an HDCP copyright error. The movie I am trying to cast is purchased under my account from MS Store!

I can screenshare using the connect setting that works.

Is that all casting does?

Thanks,

Mr. V

You can use either the Project or Connect option to use a Smart TV as a wireless monitor. I just use the Project option out of habit, but they both will do the same thing. The Project method just has a few more options as to how you want the output to be sent to the TV such as using it as a second monitor without cloning your laptop's screen.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
You can use either the Project or Connect option to use a Smart TV as a wireless monitor. I just use the Project option out of habit, but they both will do the same thing. The Project method just has a few more options as to how you want the output to be sent to the TV such as using it as a second monitor without cloning your laptop's screen.

yes, I can do that...bummer as CAST does not work - what does it do - will it pass controls (sound, pause etc) to my TV?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99