I have an Eve V and a Razer Core X, what is the best gpu to get?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have an Eve V with Intel i77y75 CPU @ 1.30 GHz 16 GB of RAM and 512 GB SSD that connects to the Razer Core X with a Thunderbolt 3 cable and has a 650W power supply. What is the most powerful graphics card I could get that will be used with a 1080p or 1440p monitor at very high settings and at 60+ FPS?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
The Most powerful? I'm not familiar with AMD, but a Titan would be the most powerful. Would it be practical? Most likely no. 1440 and 60+ FPS could easily fall in the 1070 range.

Edit: What games do you want to play? The CPU might be a considerable bottleneck depending on the title.

NG2019

Feb 13, 2019
Visit site
I'd be playing some older titles like the Batman: Arkham games, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Far Cry, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, basically single player action-adventure games. Not any MMOs, RPGs, or esports titles like Fortnite, PUBG, Apex Legends, or CS: GO. As long as I can play those games at 1080p on high to very high settings and 60 fps or higher then I'll be satisfied. I went from a Zotac Amp Box Mini with a Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB, which did pretty good as long as the settings were at medium. Just looking to have a better experience; to play at higher settings and at least 60 fps. If I get a 144 HRz 1440p monitor I'd want a graphics card that can handle it.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I'd be playing some older titles like the Batman: Arkham games, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Far Cry, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, basically single player action-adventure games. Not any MMOs, RPGs, or esports titles like Fortnite, PUBG, Apex Legends, or CS: GO. As long as I can play those games at 1080p on high to very high settings and 60 fps or higher then I'll be satisfied. I went from a Zotac Amp Box Mini with a Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB, which did pretty good as long as the settings were at medium. Just looking to have a better experience; to play at higher settings and at least 60 fps. If I get a 144 HRz 1440p monitor I'd want a graphics card that can handle it.

Great answer! Thanks very much.

I'm not much of a PC gamer, so I cannot comment on this. I prefer gaming on consoles.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
, these gpu's will do, in order from fast to fastest according to userbenchmark . com (/when next to each other should be almost similar in performance):

vega 56 - 1070TI - 2060
vega 64 - 1080 - 2070
Radeon VII - 1080TI - 2080

Probably best if you get a vega56, 1070Ti or 2060 for a good price. And ignore the raytrace/rtx hype; too few games support it and will support in the next couple of years (it will be more interesting in the future).
I should also mention that the cpu of your Eve V will eventually be a bottleneck, I am not exactly sure at what point. However, since using a gpu through thunderbolt will decrease the gpu performance somewhat anyway, vega56/1070ti/2060 should make a good balance in cpu power and gpu power.

Hope that helps you.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
To add to what @ochhanz said, Radeon VII drivers are not upto par yet but they will get better over time as AMD gets feedback from reviewers, partners and consumers. It's worth bearing in mind if you do opt to get the Radeon VII. In terms of RTX, it's been confirmed by Nvidia that it does not work without DLSS - one of the most informative videos on DLSS.

Last edited:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
To add to what @ochhanz said, Radeon VII drivers are not upto par yet but they will get better over time as AMD gets feedback from reviewers, partners and consumers. It's worth bearing in mind if you do opt to get the Radeon VII. In terms of RTX, it's been confirmed by Nvidia that it does not work without DLSS - one of the most informative videos on DLSS. https://youtu.be/Jpd5j5W1NZw

All of this configuration talk and benchmarking is why I am a console gamer.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Haha, fair enough.

Personally, the way I look at it - games are something to enjoy not stress about. If the game play is dull and lacklustre then either the game is really bad or the game is not for you (generally speaking).

However some games are just hilariously bad... like the ET game made by Atari... haha.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Haha, fair enough.

Personally, the way I look at it - games are something to enjoy not stress about. If the game play is dull and lacklustre then either the game is really bad or the game is not for you (generally speaking).

However some games are just hilariously bad... like the ET game made by Atari... haha.

Superman 64 or **** Tracy (Amiga version), both by Titus Software, are worse than the E.T. game.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Superman 64 or **** Tracy (Amiga version), both by Titus Software, are worse than the E.T. game.

Haha I see.

I've only played Superman 64 once and only for a few minutes I just chalked it up the crappiness to my poor skills. It was the tutorial where you had to fly through the rings if I recall correctly, so beyond that I don't can't say much about the game play.

It was a neighbours game and he was vying to play the game (as his parent's bought it for him on release day back in 1999) so he took it home and played the game non stop - so I'm told lol. The other game, never played it and only seen it in a old game shop where we used to buy/trade for other Sega Master System Games.

However none of these cartridges for these games had to be buried like the ET game lol.

Anyway, the best things about PC games is the mods suchas custom cars for GTA 3+ and texture packs like the 4K/8K Fallout Texture packs. Not to mention gameplay modding suchas Sim Settlements; which drastically changes how settlements work in Fallout 4 and how you play the game therefore increasing replay value in my opinion.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
, I just have a 1050TI + a pentium in my pc and can play all my games perfectly fine on a fullhd tv :) . You only really need to think about this stuff if you want to always play on ultra settings & 60 or more fps and/or very high resolutions etc. Most of this is not even possible on the console (e.g. you cannot take the gpu out of your console and connect it to your 2-1 laptop/tablet ^.^ ).

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
PC games are great for customisation, I agree. And, with the right hardware, games must look great. But for me, gaming is like movies. Whether it's SD, HD or 4k, it's still the same film (or game) overall. Therefore graphics aren't really that important to me.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
PC games are great for customisation, I agree. And, with the right hardware, games must look great. But for me, gaming is like movies. Whether it's SD, HD or 4k, it's still the same film (or game) overall. Therefore graphics aren't really that important to me.
, true and graphics are also not that important for me either.
I justed wanted to clear the misunderstanding that I think quite a lot people have that pc gaming cannot be simple and affordable. :)
(just because they some hardcore gamers play games on a 4k screen with an overclocked nvidia titan/vega64 and a i9 or such)

Heck, you can often even let the company where you buy your parts also install the parts for you (for a small price), than it is basically just downloading your favorite games and connecting your controller like it is on a console.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I'd rather have a lower resolution to get a consistently high frame rate. Since I just updated to a 1080 Ti, I don't really have to worry about that.

In fact, whenever my games drop below 90 fps, I usually want to know why (most of the time it's one of my anti malware programs doing an auto scan).

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I'd rather have a lower resolution to get a consistently high frame rate. Since I just updated to a 1080 Ti, I don't really have to worry about that.

In fact, whenever my games drop below 90 fps, I usually want to know why (most of the time it's one of my anti malware programs doing an auto scan).

You must have an awesome set up to get such a high fps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6