Is the camera on the Lumia 950/XL comparable to the Note 9's shooter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodneyej

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Is the camera on the Lumia 950/XL comparable to the Note 9's shooter, or any other modern high-end smartphones?

Personally, I think it still is. Owning both a Note 9, and Lumia 950 (and GS7 as a work issued device), I've noticed the 950 has better clarity, sharpness, less grain, and overall picture quality, than the Note9 (for my taste). Where the N9 comes greater is color accuracy, and reproduction, and low light shots (not to mention more features, speed, and stability). I'm no expert, but I'm thinking the N9 manages depth better as well. I've tried tons of comparison shots with both phones and both have their strengths, but what's interesting is that the almost 4 years old 950 is still a comparable camera, and, depending on perspective, could literally be better when it comes to pure picture quality. What do yall think?

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Is the camera on the Lumia 950/XL comparable to the Note 9's shooter, or any other modern high-end smartphones?

Personally, I think it still is. Owning both a Note 9, and Lumia 950 (and GS7 as a work issued device), I've noticed the 950 has better clarity, sharpness, less grain, and overall picture quality, than the Note9 (for my taste). Where the N9 comes greater is color accuracy, and reproduction, and low light shots. I'm no expert, but I'm thinking the N9 manages depth better as well. I've tried tons of comparison shots with both phones and both have their strengths, but what's interesting is that the almost 4 years old 950 is still a comparable camera, and, depending on perspective, could literally be better. What do yall think?
Absolutely.

It really depends on the shooter and how one critiques photography but take a look at this if some need help judging for themselves. And read the comments too of photography gurus plain mobile phone users and Samsung lovers...
http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/23344_Camera_head_to_head_Lumia_950_.php

Personally if you only care about the end photo result the Lumia 950 xl always means business and is a great solution for just a mobile shooter, but it is not without its draw backs. Snap time and post processing, the lossless zoom tech is nearing obsoletness etc. The Note 9 has tons of features bells and whistles (selfies, animoji, armoji, whatevermoji etc.) however that might be all it really adds if you're just after a mobile camera.

rodneyej

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
You can literally take the picture with the 950, and import it into the N9, use all the N9's features, and come out with the best photo. The fact is that you had to start with the 950.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I would think that the Note 9 has the 950 beat in terms of camera speed. But other than that, they're pretty comparable.

Now, put the Pixel 2 or Pixel 3 in the arena, and the 950 doesn't have a chance.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I would think that the Note 9 has the 950 beat in terms of camera speed. But other than that, they're pretty comparable.

Now, put the Pixel 2 or Pixel 3 in the arena, and the 950 doesn't have a chance.
Yup. Google has done a lot in a very short amount of time with their camera app and camera/photo taking abilities in the pixel phone line.

Also one of the few single lens shooters still around

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
As a former long time Lumia user, i feel very at home with the camera of my Pixel 3 XL. It's quite good.
I owned a pixel 2 xl a couple different times and had no real downsides to the photo taking and camera experience. I personally am more of an asthetics and display guy so I've alway gravitated towards Samsung's though and never held on to Pixels for long. Google did not cheap out in that department, or not even to just make it as good as the rest. They are good resellers too for that reason.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I owned a pixel 2 xl a couple different times and had no real downsides to the photo taking and camera experience. I personally am more of an asthetics and display guy so I've alway gravitated towards Samsung's though and never held on to Pixels for long. Google did not cheap out in that department, or not even to just make it as good as the rest. They are good resellers too for that reason.

I've owned a 2 XL, a 3, and now a 3 XL. The 3 XL's display seems to be leagues ahead of the 2 xl and the 3. I believe the 2 XL and the 3 both used LG displays, while the 3 XL uses a Samsung display. The difference is tangible.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I've owned a 2 XL, a 3, and now a 3 XL. The 3 XL's display seems to be leagues ahead of the 2 xl and the 3. I believe the 2 XL and the 3 both used LG displays, while the 3 XL uses a Samsung display. The difference is tangible.
I really wanted to try one, but the price tag on these things lately has slowed me down almost to a stop... But that notch though.

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I moved from a Lumia 950 XL to a Pixel 2. The Pixel 2 camera was a very pleasant surprise, and I have to agree with the others who feel it outperforms the 950 XL. I think I'll probably skip Pixel 3 and see what comes after that.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Honestly don't understand why people would shell out so much money for a (new) Pixel phone, why not just get a good HMD Nokia phone for much less? Also Android One and probably will get even longer updates, and while the Pixel's camera and design are better is that really worth it for the high price tag? At least the Note seems to have an unique feature with the pen. Or heck, pay just a little extra compared to the Pixel to get a lot longer updates with iOS or higher resale value.
Concerning the 950 XL camera, I still really like it. Only downside to me seems to be that it sometimes is a bit slow with auto-focus.

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes, the Pixel 2 camera quality was worth it to me, and Pixel 2 was not really an expensive phone when it came out. I don't care about most of the bells and whistles on newer phones. And quite frankly, I just don't get into the "new gizmo regardless of price increase each year" routine. But camera quality is very important to me. At the time I went for the Pixel 2, the Android One and Nokia phones did not have comparable cameras. I don't want to carry around a huge thing like a Note, and really have no use for the pen. And I still haven't gotten over the fact that the worst phone I ever had was a Samsung (Instinct). It was a disastrous phone and had poor support. And, yes I know they have improved greatly over the years, at least in the equipment area. Not so sure about the support area. I could live with iOS. I've used it on a phone, and still use it on an iPod Touch, but for some reason it just doesn't light my fire.

As the saying goes, "Your mileage may vary."

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Yes, the Pixel 2 camera quality was worth it to me, and Pixel 2 was not really an expensive phone when it came out. I don't care about most of the bells and whistles on newer phones. And quite frankly, I just don't get into the "new gizmo regardless of price increase each year" routine. But camera quality is very important to me. At the time I went for the Pixel 2, the Android One and Nokia phones did not have comparable cameras. I don't want to carry around a huge thing like a Note, and really have no use for the pen. And I still haven't gotten over the fact that the worst phone I ever had was a Samsung (Instinct). It was a disastrous phone and had poor support. And, yes I know they have improved greatly over the years, at least in the equipment area. Not so sure about the support area. I could live with iOS. I've used it on a phone, and still use it on an iPod Touch, but for some reason it just doesn't light my fire.

As the saying goes, "Your mileage may vary."
, fair enough, I guess it was rather expensive in my country than (~900€ including tax for the 64gb version). That was about the same as the Note.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb