Can I Run My PC Without Internal Hard Drive But By Using External Hard Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dataxrecovery

Feb 19, 2019
Visit site
My internal hard drive is not working properly and i have an external hard drive at my home. Is it possible to run my PC with the external hard drive? What i have to do now?

dym3nelo

Nov 24, 2018
Visit site
Theoretically it's possible as long as it has enough space you can clone your OS to your external, but I would still prefer to buy a new one that's dedicated for long run use.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I would also want to know how the current hard drive 'is not working properly'. I.e. what happens right now when the computer boots up etc.

Kind of what I was getting at. If the PC is a desktop, chances are very good the hard drive can be replaced, as opposed to using an external drive. Also, using an external drive might need to have the BIOS/UEFI changed to accept a USB in the boot order.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Kind of what I was getting at. If the PC is a desktop, chances are very good the hard drive can be replaced, as opposed to using an external drive. Also, using an external drive might need to have the BIOS/UEFI changed to accept a USB in the boot order.

Wouldn't it actually be slower to boot up and use an external drive though as your main drive? Unless of course it's an SSD. Like you said, it's quicker and most likely cheaper to just replace the currently failing drive.

What are your thoughts on all this @dataxrecovery?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Wouldn't it actually be slower to boot up and use an external drive though as your main drive? Unless of course it's an SSD. Like you said, it's quicker and most likely cheaper to just replace the currently failing drive.

What are your thoughts on all this @dataxrecovery?
Chances are very good that the external hard drive is an HDD.... probably 5400 RPM. But, without knowing what the stock drive was for the PC, it may be a draw. Say for example, the PC in question is an older inexpensive laptop. My money is on that drive being an HDD as well, most likely a 5400 RPM.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Chances are very good that the external hard drive is an HDD.... probably 5400 RPM. But, without knowing what the stock drive was for the PC, it may be a draw. Say for example, the PC in question is an older inexpensive laptop. My money is on that drive being an HDD as well, most likely a 5400 RPM.

Yes, I think you are most likely right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3