Dell XPS 13 / 2 in 1 wont power up after SSD upgrade

cke11y

Apr 26, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys I did this with my old Lenovo laptop with no problems, and I followed the instructions here (https://www.windowscentral.com/how-upgrade-ssd-your-dell-xps-13) to the letter.
I have a brand new Dell XPS 13 / 2 in 1 laptop with 256GB pcie SSD, I cloned the hard drive to a 1TB pcie SSD correctly. Inserted it etc, pressed the on switch and nothing happened. So i removed it and reinserted the original smaller SSD. it still would not power up.

I phoned Dell support (didn't mention the ssd upgrade) and told them my new laptop was dead, they got me to press ctrl/esc at the same time and plug in power and my laptop booted up. Got off the line from them, and reinserted the bigger SSD, again laptop wont power up, so I try the Dell trick, but it doesnt work with this SSD, so I remove 1TB SSD and reinsert the original again, try the Dell trick and boots up again.
The company I bought the SSD from say it is compatible with my machine.

Has anyone experienced this? if so how did you get it running with the new SSD???

thanks
CK

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Stupid question, but are you sure it isn't the battery or charger to start with? Because it still doesn't work with the original drive inserted back it suggests this goes beyond an SSD issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720