Second monitor- "Signal out of range" but more complex

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Using windows 10
I tried to use a TV as second monitor for laptop. TV fully functional with normal antenna setup.

Expected: upon connection of blue monitor wire between PC and TV, TV should boot with default settings and work as a second monitor.

Actual: upon connection, PC recognises the TV and proceeds to adjust laptop resolution. TV screen changes from black (powered) to a "signal out of range" error. Laptop screen gets name 1|2 with no other selection in the Display Settings visible. Full specs for both monitors are available in Advanced Display Settings 60Hz identical actual resolution (allowed), but different resolution Actual. No apparent effect though.

Attempted fixes this far:

All relavant drivers have been updated, uninstalled, reinstalled. No effect.
Wire tested - good connection quality both sides.
Multiple laptops tested - original laptop screen resolution doesn't always change when TV is connected. No other observations.
Connection to TV monitor is blocked in safe mode - so no methods involving safe mode can work.
Refresh Rate of TV screen is 60Hz but can be adjusted to 72 and 75. Cannot be adjusted downward using Advanced
Display Settings and any attempt to change these required admin access unless it was impossible.
TV menu offers no troubleshooting and is fully unavailable when taking input from PC.
No HDMI connection plug is seen on TV.
Restarting PC and TV too many times. No effect.
Status reads "Screen functioning normally" and Errors= false.
Connecting to a PC 3 which had no monitor causes similar effect - Signal out of range - error.
When PC is turned off message "no input signal detected" briefly shows, before clearing to black, backlit screen.
TV has no internet connection and cannot receive updates.

I assume it's an issue with windows 10, but don't know how to test. Clearly the TV was designed to take PC image input . The combining of laptop and TV screen name as one "1|2" box in settings causes alarm.

At this point, if the TV cannot function as second monitor, it will be considered useless. I will get rid of it despite my custom PC (3) missing a monitor.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
How are you connecting the PC to the TV? What kind of cable are you using and is it inserted properly? I have an SP2 and use a TV as a second monitor. It's connected using an mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable. Sometimes, if the cable is knocked or a little loose, I get the same symptoms as you until the cable is inserted happily for Windows.

Maxim Korvatskyy

May 27, 2019
Visit site
Hi, its me. I use VGA cable (new) which has no flaws that I can see. I checked the connections, reversed the cable, fiddled with the ports- seems secure when I try it.
Ended up securing one end to TV with built in screws since connection is good as far as I see.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi, its me. I use VGA cable (new) which has no flaws that I can see. I checked the connections, reversed the cable, fiddled with the ports- seems secure when I try it.
Ended up securing one end to TV with built in screws since connection is good as far as I see.

Welcome to the forums, Maxim! I'm glad you fixed the issue. It definitely sounds like a connection issue though, e.g. the connectors are being fully inserted or something like that. It happens to me too at times.

Maxim Korvatskyy

May 27, 2019
Visit site
I'm happy you're taking time to help me. Not sure if I should buy other cables though, since some form of connection is made every time I try - like the second laptop which recognised the TV, changed desktop size to square*ish . Looks like a software thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3