How do I set up a Win10 share restriction via credentials?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Not sure if this is better here or in the Win10 subforum, so if that's a better spot, feel free to move it there.

Is there any way to share a directory between two Windows 10 computers so the remote computer has to provide credentials every time it accesses it? I'm trying to set up an automated backup solution where a third-party software (narrowed down to either Duplicati, Areca, SyncBack, or possibly Syncthing) will sync the contents of the computer it's on to another computer, and that one will do the same, so they both contain a copy of each others' files. However, what I'd really like to do is limit the access that the computers have to their backed up data, allowing it only by the backup software. This way, if either computer is infected with malware, especially ransomware, it won't be able to affect the backup on the other computer.

It seems to me the best way to do this would be to require credentials (username and password) to access the share, and have them saved in the backup software, but so far I've not had any luck getting it to work. I've tried different variations of settings, and it either doesn't ask for credentials at all and simply blocks access, it asks and still blocks access, or it asks once, allows access, then doesn't ask again until rebooting (or so it appears). Is there a way to do this either natively or with third-party software? Otherwise, is there a better solution? I was thinking of blocking access to the remote computer to all but the backup software via firewall, but that seems like overkill and shouldn't be necessary, and I'm not even sure if it would work as expected.

By the way, I'm testing in VirtualBox, in case that matters. It shouldn't, since as far as Windows (networking) is concerned it's two separate computers on the same network that are connected to each other, but wanted to mention it just in case.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
You mentioned this:

It seems to me the best way to do this would be to require credentials (username and password) to access the share, and have them saved in the backup software, but so far I've not had any luck getting it to work.

What is the backup software you tried this in? Let's start from there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3