Windows 8.1 - Mirror Boot Drive

sreyan32

Jul 7, 2019
Visit site

I have a 1 TB GPT hard disk that boots in UEFI. Now I want to attach another hard disk which mirrors the first one.

The first hard disk contains my OS.

Is there any way I can do this in Windows 8.1 ? I don't have any hardware support for RAID. I am on a desktop.

I have seen a lot of posts about disk for Windows 10. Does Windows 10 allow RAID 1 mirroring of the boot drive ? Is that allowed in Windows 8.1 ?

Please let me know if further details are required.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

I have a 1 TB GPT hard disk that boots in UEFI. Now I want to attach another hard disk which mirrors the first one.

The first hard disk contains my OS.

Is there any way I can do this in Windows 8.1 ? I don't have any hardware support for RAID. I am on a desktop.

I have seen a lot of posts about disk for Windows 10. Does Windows 10 allow RAID 1 mirroring of the boot drive ? Is that allowed in Windows 8.1 ?

Please let me know if further details are required.

You need to use Disk management to mirror the drive and it's quite simple.

1) Type disk management in the search charm

2) Open Disk management

3) right click the existing disk you want to mirror

4) the disk that will be mirrored onto will have to completely blank / unallocated.

It will take time sync everything over.

There are two caveats that need to mentioned:

A) It is not recommended to mirror the disk / partition containing Windows because you will most likely end up with clashing Boot loaders. You may need to use something like to easyBCD to edit the bootloader entries or install a custom bootloader or use something like GRUB.

B) I may wrong but I think you need 8.1 Pro to use the mirroring function.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos