Anti-theft options for Surface Book 2 15"

James Auman

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Just bought a Surface Book 2 15" for my son for college and realized i completely forgot to ask "how does he prevent the SB2 from getting stolen from his dorm room when he isnt there (and doesnt have it with him)?" There doesnt seem to be a solution. Am i missing something? If not, any other suggestions? I assumed that millions of students are carrying the Book around for school. How do they secure it? or do they just get loads of insurance?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I looked around and found out that though Kensington makes a lock for the 13.5" version they haven't made one for the 15" version yet.

There is an adhesive lock but it's plain ugly and questionable.

Nothing is 100% secure of course but the lock would have helped.

So at the moment I think you're out of luck and hope that your son backs up his info to OneDrive (or other). Looks like insurance is the best option here at the moment.

James Auman

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
i havent seen the dorm rooms yet. I go tomorrow. Definitely curious if they have issues with laptops going missing. i definitely plan to have coverage anyway for loss or theft, but wanted to minimze that likelyhood with something easy to secure. Are Kensington locks just not as popular as i thought they were? I thought for expensive laptops that locks were all the rage.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
i havent seen the dorm rooms yet. I go tomorrow. Definitely curious if they have issues with laptops going missing. i definitely plan to have coverage anyway for loss or theft, but wanted to minimze that likelyhood with something easy to secure. Are Kensington locks just not as popular as i thought they were? I thought for expensive laptops that locks were all the rage.

The Surface Book doesn't have the facilities for a Kensington lock like a normal laptop does. Ask MS why not.

As I pointed out above, Kensington make one for the 13.5" version but currently don't have one for the 15" version.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It seems weird that MS would have such an oversight.

It is strange but I guess it comes down to the design.

You can't put the lock in the keyboard area like a normal laptop because the screen is detachable and would be pointless. Unless the key locked the screen in as well of course but that doesn't seem to be the case.

They probably don't have space in the screen area for the lock and it probably adds weight.

So this is the issue. Not very well thought out if you ask me. If they want people to use these things in high school and university you need some level of security aside from soft security.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
It is strange but I guess it comes down to the design.

You can't put the lock in the keyboard area like a normal laptop because the screen is detachable and would be pointless. Unless the key locked the screen in as well of course but that doesn't seem to be the case.

They probably don't have space in the screen area for the lock and it probably adds weight.

So this is the issue. Not very well thought out if you ask me. If they want people to use these things in high school and university you need some level of security aside from soft security.

You are right. Maybe it will get added in a future refresh or perhaps, like you said, it was left out so as not to ruin the overall design aesthetic.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

They're used extensively in every office place I've ever worked in.

Every laptop I've ever owned has had this capability and I don't buy excessively expensive laptops.

I have no idea why the Surface Book doesn't have this facility but it could be because they assume people will always have it with them. So no need I guess?

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
They're used extensively in every office place I've ever worked in.

Every laptop I've ever owned has had this capability and I don't buy excessively expensive laptops.

I have no idea why the Surface Book doesn't have this facility but it could be because they assume people will always have it with them. So no need I guess?

Maybe it's just MS products? My Surface Pro doesn't have this either.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb